Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

FF1 Certify

Talk about anything.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

FF1 Certify

Postby Huss Buss » Sun May 13, 2018 8:05 am

If you didn't know, I started Fire Fighter One classes back in late November. It is a 110 hour class, which I took at the Sheldon Fire Station on most Tuesday (3.5 hr), and some Saturdays (7 hrs) all the way to the end of April. I took the written test for it about 2 weeks ago, and I found out that I passed the FF1 section, need to get at least a 70%. I didn't pass the HazMat section so I get a 2nd attempt to try it. Hopefully that will happen sometime this summer. From what I heard mostly everyone was failing the HazMat section.

I also took the practical skills test last weekend in Emmestburg, which is live hands on skills. We had seven skills to demonstrate: raising a ladder, hoz. ventilation, radios comm., exiting a hazardous room, tie knots, putting your gear on with air pack, & haz. product control. This took about 3 hours to complete with 17 testers & 5 evaluators. There were a few people that didn't pass ladders, knots, putting your air pack on. You got 2 attempts at each skill and you need to pass all skills to pass the practicals.

So being FF1 certify is a national course, which is the same class for full-time & vol. fire fighters, big city crew to rural. In order to get more certifications like FF2, apparatus, officer, instructor, etc. need to pass FF1. It is a very important class because it is all about keeping you alive, and there is a lot of things do before you even go inside a burning building.
Tyler
Owner

Re: FF1 Certify

Postby Tyler » Sun May 13, 2018 9:33 am

Congrats Kyle. I had no idea that small town Iowa used a national thing. Going to move somewhere and get a full time job?

What did you have to do with ladders? Climb them real fast? Does Sheldon have a training facility?
wags83

FF1 Certify

Postby wags83 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 am

Congrats! Sounds like some intense testing.

Are you going to try for the higher certifications next?
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

FF1 Certify

Postby Huss Buss » Mon May 14, 2018 8:47 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Congrats Kyle. I had no idea that small town Iowa used a national thing. Going to move somewhere and get a full time job?

What did you have to do with ladders? Climb them real fast? Does Sheldon have a training facility?

Not going to apply for full time. I need to be FF2 to be full time, and it is pretty hard to full time even in Sioux City or Sioux Falls.

Ladders, we had to explain what we were doing in a situation. I had to get someone out of a window on the second floor. So explained the steps to do to set the ladder in the right location, how to safely climb, what to do if the person is conscious or unconscious, & taking ladder down. I never climbed up the ladder. Sheldon is going to use the old waste treatment plant for training, after the new one is built.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

FF1 Certify

Postby Huss Buss » Mon May 14, 2018 8:50 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Congrats! Sounds like some intense testing.

Are you going to try for the higher certifications next?

thank you. at times it was overwhelming how about to do before even doing the task you need to do. I can only move onto other certifications after passing FF1, but I do want to get FF2 at least. Apparatus & officer would be good too.

Return to “Off Topic”