Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Sleep aids

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Sleep aids

Postby Tyler » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:32 pm

Paging Dr Gross. What are your thoughts on sleep aids? I use to take a generic benegryl at night for my allergies and it would help me sleep. It wouldn't knock me out, but it sped up the process.

I've since switched to generic Claritin because it's 24 hour protection vs 8, but it's non-drowsy.

Does anyone take a sleep aid semi-regularly? There are maybe just a handful of nights a week when I'm restless. A lot claim to be non-habbit forming.
wags83

Sleep aids

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:04 am

I've never tried any, unless NyQuill counts when I'm sick.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Sleep aids

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 am

I had/have trouble sleeping pretty regularly. Nothing has ever worked for me, without going full bore anti-anxiety pills, which aren't worth it.

Melatonin helps a bit, and so does keeping the room colder for me.
purple_hayes

Sleep aids

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:51 pm

[
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Paging Dr Gross. What are your thoughts on sleep aids? I use to take a generic benegryl at night for my allergies and it would help me sleep. It wouldn't knock me out, but it sped up the process.

I'm not a doctor... but have dealt with a number of sleep issues in the past. I know drinking a shot of bourbon before bed helps me. I did say drink, not slamming it down as fast as you can. The alcohol with the time it takes to sip it down help relax me. So you don't form a dependence to anything, I'd suggest trying something, if it works, maybe start ween yourself off of it. Like if the bourbon works... instead of every night, start to space it out, like every other night then once or twice a week.
Kath525

Sleep aids

Postby Kath525 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Personally, I have a lot of issues with sleep. Falling asleep mostly but more recently also staying asleep. I’m literally always tired. I’ve tried a lot of prescription sleep aids (Ambien, Trazadone, and now Lunesta). The first two gave me crazy dream-very lucid and hallucinogenic. I remember one time living a whole life in a Lego world and then walking up and freaking out because I didn’t know what was real. But I digress.

I have a lot of luck with Benadryl when I take it, and it’s indicated for sleep, but it does cause quite the hangover for me. Tyler, if it helps you you can take that at night and your Claritin in the morning.

A lot of people have good results with melatonin too. But not those weak ass 3mg doses. I think it take 6-10mg to really work.

I’m also a fan of the alcohol approach ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Sleep aids

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:33 am

Kath525 wrote:A lot of people have good results with melatonin too. But not those weak ass 3mg doses. I think it take 6-10mg to really work.

I took a "weak ass" 3mg dose last night after Jocelyn told me we had some. I took it over an hour before I planned on going to bed. It didn't knock me out, but did make me drowsy enough that I fell asleep easier.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Sleep aids

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:46 am

I've found that if i take 1 sleeping pill (not the recommended 2), that i can fall asleep easy now. I have some tells earlier in the night that I won't be able to sleep, so easy for me to gauge.

Last week, I took two sleeping pills, and I was so groggy when I woke up (late) for work, that I had to call in sick.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Sleep aids

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:28 pm

Been taking melatonin a few days a week. Weak ass 3mg as Kathy would say. I take it after I've been stirring for a bit or if I sense I'm going to have issues falling asleep. Like Benadryl, it doesn't knock me out, but it makes it easier to fall asleep. I don't feel tired in the morning. I typically get 6.5-7hrs of sleep on weekdays.

Will be keeping it in my aresneal and continue taking.

Return to “Off Topic”