Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

No hormones, no plastic straws and now no meat: A&W ‘goes beyond’ burgers

Talk about anything.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 am

I was excited to read this headline because I have seen A&W's before and have been wanting to try a plant-based burger, sadly it is A&W Canada. Has anyone tried a burger like this?

This is a serious game-changer in the fast food nation: A&W Canada has announced they will be offering an innovative plant-based burger to their menu, and it will be available at every location from coast to coast.

The Beyond Meat burger, packed with plant-derived protein from pulses like peas and mung beans, will be an option at all of A&W’s more than 925 locations Canada-wide starting July 9, 2018.

Developed in Los Angeles and available to home consumers in a frozen ready-to-cook format, the Beyond Meat burger includes beets in its ingredient list to help mimic the colour of meat. However, it does not “bleed” – a claim to fame held by other items on the market.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:52 am

I saw this. I haven't had A&W in a long time. The only one I know of around here is in the Mall of America.

I have never tried one of these burgers, but I've wanted to. I did a short study for work on the market for these meat alternative products and Beyond Meat is one that seems to be doing a good job at mimicking real meat. The other one that looks crazy close to real meat is the Impossible Burger. I want to try them just out of curiosity to see how close they are to real burgers.
Erin

Postby Erin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:06 am

Interesting. I enjoy the occasional veg burger and there are a few places in the cities where their house variation is what I love to order. However, none are trying to mimick meat. I've been wanting to try these too out of curiosity of texture with the mix of legumes and grains.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post he other one that looks crazy close to real meat is the Impossible Burger.

I've heard of this one from my tech podcast. It seems like Beyond Burger doesn't "bleed" but Impossible Burger does. I would like to try one of these.

Lab grown meat though...that kind of freaks me out.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:42 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Lab grown meat though...that kind of freaks me out.

That's another thing that would be interesting to try. It is kinda weird to think about, but if they can scale up production and bring costs wayyyyy down, I think that will be the future of the meat industry. Much fewer resources/land required and a lot less waste. There's a reason large meat companies like Tyson are investing in these meat alternatives.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 am

I have an A&W in indianola, so ill try this. Lab grown meat seems weird to me, but im sure its fine. If i didn't want to eat actual meat though, id just eat ...not meat.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: No hormones, no plastic straws and now no meat: A&W ‘goes beyond’ burgers

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:57 am

cwilkins88 wrote:I have an A&W in indianola, so ill try this. Lab grown meat seems weird to me, but im sure its fine. If i didn't want to eat actual meat though, id just eat ...not meat.
It's Canada only.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:00 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:I have an A&W in indianola, so ill try this. Lab grown meat seems weird to me, but im sure its fine. If i didn't want to eat actual meat though, id just eat ...not meat.
It's Canada only.

For now!
simo

Postby simo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:26 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the postIt's Canada only.

Road trip!
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: No hormones, no plastic straws and now no meat: A&W ‘goes beyond’ burgers

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:18 pm

simo wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the postIt's Canada only.

Road trip!
I like when Hunter randomly shows up

Return to “Off Topic”