Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Google+ to shut down after coverup of data breach.

Talk about anything.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 am

Google is about to have its Cambridge Analytica moment. A security bug allowed third-party developers to access Google+ user profile data since 2015 until Google discovered and patched it in March, but decided not to inform the world. When a user gave permission to an app to access their public profile data, the bug also let those developers pull their and their friends’ non-public profile fields. Indeed, 496,951 users’ full names, email addresses, birth dates, gender, profile photos, places lived, occupation and relationship status were potentially exposed, though Google says it has no evidence the data was misused by the 438 apps that could have had access.

The company decided against informing the public because it would lead to “us coming into the spotlight alongside or even instead of Facebook despite having stayed under the radar throughout the Cambridge Analytica scandal,” according to an internal memo. Now Google+, which was already a ghost town largely abandoned or never inhabited by users, has become a massive liability for the company.

Google+ will cease all its consumer services while winding down over the next 10 months with an opportunity for users to export their data while Google refocuses on making G+ an enterprise product.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:09 am

That is incredibly shady of Google. I was such a loyal G+ user, but I am stopping the service as of today
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 am

Oh no, how will I keep in touch with all my friends if I don't have access to Google+ anymore!?!

Kidding, no one uses that shit.

Return to “Off Topic”