Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Washer and dryer

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Washer and dryer

Postby Tyler » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:07 pm

We are buying our first ever set of washer and dryer. It's always been included with our rentals or the house we bought. Our current setup is at least 12 years old. We need stackable because of the room layout. Thinking something like this. It's on the cheaper end as far as front load goes, but anything will be 10x better than what we have now.

My parents have a Kenmore and for many reasons told us to avoid that.

Samsung link
ejhartman91

Washer and dryer

Postby ejhartman91 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:15 pm

That looks like the set we have. They work fine for us. The only problem we have is that the washer drain tends to give off a real nasty smell every so often, but it's probably because we don't clean the filter out enough. Mostly because it's disgusting to do.
Tyler wrote:We are buying our first ever set of washer and dryer. It's always been included with our rentals or the house we bought. Our current setup is at least 12 years old. We need stackable because of the room layout. Thinking something like this. It's on the cheaper end as far as front load goes, but anything will be 10x better than what we have now.

My parents have a Kenmore and for many reasons told us to avoid that.

Samsung link

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: Washer and dryer

Postby Tyler » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:10 pm

I've heard that about all front load washers, they just smell. My mom said leaving the door open when not in use helps a lot to air it out and not cause moldy stuff.
bmyoungs

Washer and dryer

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:24 pm

We have front load stacking and the washer has a magnet that keeps the door slightly open so it doesn't get stale.

ejhartman91

Washer and dryer

Postby ejhartman91 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Tyler wrote:I've heard that about all front load washers, they just smell. My mom said leaving the door open when not in use helps a lot to air it out and not cause moldy stuff.
We usually leave ours open when not in use. The smell usually happens when the washer is being used.

Tyler
Owner

Washer and dryer

Postby Tyler » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:22 pm

3 days ago on a Best Buy review for the Samsung:
Only down fall is the odor from water sitting stagnant around the rim if you don’t dry it out yourself after running a load. But I heard this was the problem with all front loading machines.

The washer qualifies for 10% off because it's my birthday month. Need to order before the 30th.
Tag

Washer and dryer

Postby Tag » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:38 pm

I was directed away from Samsung couple different family members had all kinds of problems with them. We have an electrolux set. Super quiet. Dryer turns off when clothes are dry somehow it knows? Maybe all like that but we enjoy it
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Washer and dryer

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Tag wrote:I was directed away from Samsung couple different family members had all kinds of problems with them. We have an electrolux set. Super quiet. Dryer turns off when clothes are dry somehow it knows? Maybe all like that but we enjoy it
That's fancy! Must detect moisture or something. Never heard of that but seems very helpful

What didn't your family like about Samsung?
bmyoungs

Washer and dryer

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Tyler wrote:
Tag wrote:I was directed away from Samsung couple different family members had all kinds of problems with them. We have an electrolux set. Super quiet. Dryer turns off when clothes are dry somehow it knows? Maybe all like that but we enjoy it
That's fancy! Must detect moisture or something. Never heard of that but seems very helpful

What didn't your family like about Samsung?
Pretty sure that's in most now. Though I don't think it's a direct shut off when dry it just has a variable time that adjusts during the cycle. That's what ours does and nothing is ever burning hot dry like in older dryers.

Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Washer and dryer

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Tyler wrote:I've heard that about all front load washers, they just smell. My mom said leaving the door open when not in use helps a lot to air it out and not cause moldy stuff.

werd! we leave it open ever time after use. never had issues.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Washer and dryer

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:20 pm

we have whirlpool duet. never had issues with the past and current units
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Washer and dryer

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:22 pm

I leave the door open on my washer and dry the ring out after use and don't have smell problem.
Tag

Washer and dryer

Postby Tag » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:33 am

correct! it will change time as it goes.

as for problems, just had to replace struts, noisy, had trouble staying balanced and if it got too far off had to restart cycle. had a lot of trouble with customer service, these problems are from 5 plus years ago tho so probably ironed them out.
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Washer and dryer

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:46 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post The washer qualifies for 10% off because it's my birthday month. Need to order before the 30th.

A front loading washer for $650 is a great deal after that 10% off.

The GE washer/dryer we have is on sale at Best Buy now too. It has steam
Washer
Dryer
Tyler
Owner

Washer and dryer

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:06 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post The GE washer/dryer we have is on sale at Best Buy now too. It has steam
Washer
Dryer

Cheaper than Samsung and has steam! Half of the reviews say it is very noisy though.
What do I care about more? Steam or noise? Like I said before, I'm coming from a 15 year old set so anything is going to be better than that.
blake

Washer and dryer

Postby blake » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:01 am

We've had LG and never had an issue

Our first home we bought brand new and lived there for almost 10 years and then just bought another LG for our new house
bmyoungs

Washer and dryer

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:48 am

Ours has a steam cycle and it's not worth it

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:55 am

bmyoungs wrote:Ours has a steam cycle and it's not worth it

That's what I needed to hear. My mom asked if it had that so I thought maybe it was an important thing to have. But like I keep saying, we use a basic 1 setting thing right now so anything will be better.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Co-workers said the same thing. Thanks for the heads up. Ruled it out
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Huss Buss wrote:we have whirlpool duet. never had issues with the past and current units
Co-worker said the exact same make and model too

Return to “Off Topic”