Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Ask a Clean Person

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Ask a Clean Person

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:14 am

Ejhartman has talked about this podcast before. Yesterday Tylersucks listened to his first ever podcast and it was an episode of this show about washing cars.

I had a cleaning question and I turned to this podcast/blogger. I hope it works.

A month ago we got a king bed and new sheets. I am ashamed to say there already is a little discoloring in the sheets because of body oils. I washed the sheets, but it didn't help. Ask A Clean Person said to use Borax in the wash. I have never used this product, but based on the Amazon pageit can do anything.

I will be rewashing the sheets this weekend and will try to wash them weekly. Growing up (and still now) I thought my mom was insane for washing sheets weekly. Everywhere online says to do weekly. At most, 2 weeks. I don't want to share how infrequently we do it... and please don't ask about when I was in college, specifically the dorm.
wags83

Ask a Clean Person

Postby wags83 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:33 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post and please don't ask about when I was in college, specifically the dorm.

Oh man, yeah thinking about back in college it was probably single digit washes for an entire year.

I think we do it weekly now. And by "we" I mean "Erin."
Tyler
Owner

Ask a Clean Person

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:55 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Oh man, yeah thinking about back in college it was probably single digit washes for my entire time there.

FTFY
ejhartman91

Ask a Clean Person

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:58 am

1. Glad one of my recommendations helped you out.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post because of body oils.
"Body oils" --- sure...
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I don't want to share how infrequently we do it.
--- We are still talking about washing sheets right? :lol:
We wash our sheets weekly for sure. Mostly because we don't shower every day on the weekends and you know, the human body sheds skin and oils a lot...
Tyler
Owner

Ask a Clean Person

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:05 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post We are still talking about washing sheets right

Lol. Grow up!!

At least I shower on the weekends!
Tyler
Owner

Ask a Clean Person

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:25 am

I am going to give Tide Cold Water Clean a try after seeing this

https://www.yourbestdigs.com/reviews/be ... detergent/
bmyoungs

Ask a Clean Person

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 pm

Tyler wrote:I am going to give Tide Cold Water Clean a try after seeing this

https://www.yourbestdigs.com/reviews/be ... detergent/
We use that just the unscented version

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Ask a Clean Person

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:59 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post We use that just the unscented version

Do you wash it cold every time? It is sooo much more expensive than the budget detergent I usually get.
ejhartman91

Ask a Clean Person

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:36 am

We tried the Persil after sticking with the Tide Plus Ultra Stain Release for a while. My wife likes the Persil scent more. FWIW CR gave the Coldwater clean a rating of 68.Image

Tyler
Owner

Ask a Clean Person

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:03 am

I KNEW I should have asked you before ordering it. I'll remember this thread in 6 months when I am due for another bottle of laundry detergent.
wags83

Ask a Clean Person

Postby wags83 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:25 am

Erin uses Melaluca detergent stuff for laundry. I guess because it's less chemicals or something? I don't know.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Ask a Clean Person

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:39 pm

Maria uses a bunch of melaluca cleaning products also. I still use the Gain powder we got from Sam's Club what feels like a decade ago.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Ask a Clean Person

Postby Tyler » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:18 pm

I have no way to prove its the borax and not just the upgraded washing machine, but I swear blowup poops come out of clothes way easier with Oliver than with Evie. The main difference is I add borax to those poopy loads
Tyler
Owner

Re: Ask a Clean Person

Postby Tyler » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:06 pm

It's been many years, but doing a lifehack now.

I do all the laundry in the home and notice clothes that seem to go unworn for years by myself or wife. Recently unchanged all of the hangers in the closet so they hang under instead of over the rod. As in rotate the hanger 180 degrees compared to how you usually have it.

When I put clean clothes away I'll hang them up the normal way. Throughout the year I'll be able to easily identify clothes that haven't been worn because the hanger is still under. Do a couple of Goodwill trips based on the findings.

There are of course some exceptions, such as a dress shirt, but for the most part if a piece of clothing doesn't get worn in a full year then why keep it?
bmyoungs

Ask a Clean Person

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Tyler wrote:It's been many years, but doing a lifehack now.

I do all the laundry in the home and notice clothes that seem to go unworn for years by myself or wife. Recently unchanged all of the hangers in the closet so they hang under instead of over the rod. As in rotate the hanger 180 degrees compared to how you usually have it.

When I put clean clothes away I'll hang them up the normal way. Throughout the year I'll be able to easily identify clothes that haven't been worn because the hanger is still under. Do a couple of Goodwill trips based on the findings.

There are of course some exceptions, such as a dress shirt, but for the most part if a piece of clothing doesn't get worn in a full year then why keep it?
I don't really have this issue but I like the concept. I have zero issues giving away and replacing my clothes. I usually just get rid of shirts I'm sick of looking at or if I feel like my style has changed. Most of my polos I wear for work also get beat to hell after about 18 months so it's easy to just replace them.

It may help that I happen to purchase a lot of apparel (usually everything is my general style) for my golf shop.

DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Ask a Clean Person

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:57 am

I've heard the reverse hanger thing. There was a period when I bought a bunch of dress shirts and ties. Since I don't dress up often, it could easily go a year before I use even a single one. I should go through and get rid of the colors I don't particularly like but were only bought because they were on sale/clearance racks.

Return to “Off Topic”