Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Hy-Vee is a sinking ship (reddit)

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:52 pm

I thought this thread was interesting. I gave Aldi's an honest try but felt their product was slightly inferior...is it time we try again?

https://www.reddit.com/r/desmoines/comm ... king_ship/
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:44 pm

I know many to all stores cut their open hours from 24hr to 5am-11pm or something like that. I like my Hy-vee they have a good sized health food market that other stores in the area don't. I could bounce around between a few different stores for groceries and meds, but that's a lot more work than it's worth. A twenty minute shopping trip could take close to an hour if I have to go multiple places. Plus hyvee has a 10% discount on wednesday for their health food section.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:45 am

Interesting. HyVee is still relatively new to the Minneapolis area, and a lot of them have sprung up over the last few years. There's one a couple miles from my house, but I really only go there if I need something specific I know they have or just need something quick, otherwise most of the grocery shopping is done at other places (Aldi and Fresh Thyme, mostly). I do know a lot of the stores up here are no longer 24 hours, but that's the only change I've heard of, though I would have no way of knowing about any of the personnel changes.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:13 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Fresh Thyme

I have one near my work and have never even thought of going in. Erin has made you such a healthy shopper!

Hy-Vee still seems very booming here in DSM. A lot of them are being remodeled and they have the downtown flagship store that is only 3 years old. I thought the post was interesting though and I'll be on the lookout now for signs.

We still go to Fareway quite a bit and I think I like that shopping experience more.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:18 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Erin has made you such a healthy shopper!

Erin is mostly the grocery shopper. She usually goes on Fridays since she has them off.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:08 am

Fresh Thyme in Ames closed down. The hyvee I shop at, just remodeled their store. I can't jive with Fareway's layout.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:51 am

This sounds like nothing major. They likely had a ton of older management making larger salaries that they wanted off the books and they will rehire younger workers. It's not like grocery is an area where they can expect huge revenue growth so cutting hours and what not is normal. Trader Joe's and whole foods did this same thing years ago and it was just as scandalous. It'll be forgotten in a month or two.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:47 am

I love HyVee selection but basically everything cost more so Fareway. Love HyVee kitchen and their food
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:23 am

In other HyVee news, all the HyVee Market Grilles around here are changing to Wahlburgers. I've never had Wahlburgers before so I can't say if that's good or bad, but I will miss their weekend brunch buffet assume they don't have that anymore.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Hy-Vee is a sinking ship (reddit)

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:44 pm

wags83 wrote:In other HyVee news, all the HyVee Market Grilles around here are changing to Wahlburgers. I've never had Wahlburgers before so I can't say if that's good or bad, but I will miss their weekend brunch buffet assume they don't have that anymore.
That's funny. Des Moines went from Market Grills to Wahlburgers, back to market grills.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:56 pm

i perfer the market grills

Return to “Off Topic”