Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Quarantine projects

Talk about anything.
bmyoungs

Quarantine projects

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:14 pm

I decided after digging up one area around a single tree today that I'm just doing the three most visible for now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:28 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I decided after digging up one area around a single tree today that I'm just doing the three most visible for now.

I need to look at the picture better. How much digging did you do?
bmyoungs

Quarantine projects

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:18 am

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I decided after digging up one area around a single tree today that I'm just doing the three most visible for now.

I need to look at the picture better. How much digging did you do?
It wasn't a huge area, it was just a very low rooted tree (like inches below the surface) so I ended up doing a lot of ripping the grass out by hand. I think the circle is 30-35 feet in circumference.Image

Tyler
Owner

Re: Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:25 pm

I go to bed some nights regretting I didnt make the short side of the desk 12-18 inches longer. I have issues.

I'm likely going to get a 3D printer and it will fit in the corner, but I wish my work setup was contained just to the side desk and not hanging over the other desk piece. It's one of the reasons I went with 22" monitors and not 24"
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Quarantine projects

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:31 pm

looks great Brad!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:23 am

Built this. It was a challenge with only 2 people and 90 degree heat with zero shade.

Had to accommodate for the hill. The top is level, but one side is 10.5 feet off the ground and the other is 12.Image
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Quarantine projects

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:12 am

Tyler wrote:Built this. It was a challenge with only 2 people and 90 degree heat with zero shade.

Had to accommodate for the hill. The top is level, but one side is 10.5 feet off the ground and the other is 12.Image
Did you confirm it's level? That's awesome

wags83

Quarantine projects

Postby wags83 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:56 pm

That's a beastly swing set!

I pulled the trigger on ordering composite decking so will have the project to do in a couple weeks when it arrives.
bmyoungs

Quarantine projects

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:04 pm

wags83 wrote:That's a beastly swing set!

I pulled the trigger on ordering composite decking so will have the project to do in a couple weeks when it arrives.
Let me know how easy it is. I want to redo our decking also but I'll have to do it alone and am not thrilled about it
Tyler
Owner

Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:55 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post That's a beastly swing set!

When I swing on it I can get the swing to 90 degrees so I am 12 feet off the ground and my feet are taller than the gutters on the house.

Part of me wants it to be bigger because it would have been cooler, but it could not have been built by Wilkins and me on our single ladder if it was even 1 foot taller.
Tyler
Owner

Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:55 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I pulled the trigger on ordering composite decking so will have the project to do in a couple weeks when it arrives.

Figure out how to do the clips?
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Quarantine projects

Postby Huss Buss » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:02 am

just great job! just the weight of it is keeping it in place or do you something in the ground yet?
wags83

Quarantine projects

Postby wags83 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:09 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post I pulled the trigger on ordering composite decking so will have the project to do in a couple weeks when it arrives.

Figure out how to do the clips?

Yeah, it's actually not complicated. There was some sort of rail system that kept showing up on "people also bought" but I guess that's different than what I need. I got excited because I had received a shipping notification already over the weekend, but it was just for the clips and screws, not the actual decking.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Quarantine projects

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:30 am

Finally got my garage roof reshingled. I hired out Maria's brother and helped him. There was three layers of shingles that needed to be pulled off. It took almost two days for that alone.
Tyler
Owner

Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 pm

Huss Buss wrote:Source of the post just the weight of it is keeping it in place or do you something in the ground yet?

I was swinging as high as I could and it wasn't moving, but I have since staked it into the ground on each post with playground stakes I found at Menards.

I get a couple different swings in the mail tomorrow and I spent some time tonight cutting off the long bolts at the top. I'll share a pic tomorrow.

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post There was three layers of shingles that needed to be pulled off. It took almost two days for that alone.

That sounds horrible. I hope you wore sunscreen!
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Quarantine projects

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Of course I wore sunscreen. I'm surprised I didn't get burnt even with sunscreen.
wags83

Quarantine projects

Postby wags83 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:53 pm

Update on deck: I got a notice that it shipped already yesterday and is only coming from Eau Claire, WI. Original arrival date was something like the 17th, but it shouldn't take another week+ to get here from there. Unfortunately, Menards direct shipping notifications are worthless. No tracking number, no carrier info, and no expected arrival date, only says it shipped from Eau Claire.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:29 pm

wags83 wrote:Update on deck: I got a notice that it shipped already yesterday and is only coming from Eau Claire, WI. Original arrival date was something like the 17th, but it shouldn't take another week+ to get here from there. Unfortunately, Menards direct shipping notifications are worthless. No tracking number, no carrier info, and no expected arrival date, only says it shipped from Eau Claire.
That sounds promising! I hope you get it on a 100 degree weekend. So it ships from warehouse to Menards and then to you? What did shipping cost? Anything from Menards to driveway is like $80
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:30 pm

Last pic of swing set I swear. Added the saucer swing and new chains. Still have a better toddler swing coming to replace the old pink one. Also added 4 carriage bolts to the top to hold the 2 16ft boats together better.

wags83

Quarantine projects

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:20 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Update on deck: I got a notice that it shipped already yesterday and is only coming from Eau Claire, WI. Original arrival date was something like the 17th, but it shouldn't take another week+ to get here from there. Unfortunately, Menards direct shipping notifications are worthless. No tracking number, no carrier info, and no expected arrival date, only says it shipped from Eau Claire.
That sounds promising! I hope you get it on a 100 degree weekend. So it ships from warehouse to Menards and then to you? What did shipping cost? Anything from Menards to driveway is like $80

Shipping was ridiculous. Normally, yes, it's $80 to ship from store. Since they didn't have the decking in stock, it had to be treated as a "special order". So from what I understand, it will ship directly from the warehouse to my house and not touch a Menards store, but that also means shipping was $200.

Return to “Off Topic”