Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Quarantine projects

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:52 am

It wasn't my first choice, but it works well in the layout of the room. The fireplace mantel in that room is like 5+ feet off the ground so it wasn't possible to do it there.
Corey
Site Admin

Quarantine projects

Postby Corey » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:39 am

We moved into our new (to us) house a few weeks ago and I have completed some projects:

Installed a couple ceiling fans
Installed an in-ground dog fence
Installed a water softener
Installed an Ecobee thermostat and wired it up to control the whole home humidifier that previously just had a manual knob to control it (which would have inevitably resulted in frost issues in the house
wags83

Quarantine projects

Postby wags83 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:06 pm

Yeah, I kinda hate where they have their TV. But good work on making it fit.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:33 pm

Corey has been busy!! Did you bury the entire dog line by hand or rent a trencher?

Fancy with the whole house humidifier. I've looked into those before but will be running a 3-gallon one for the 3rd year. So they can freeze inside the house?
Corey
Site Admin

Quarantine projects

Postby Corey » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:55 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey has been busy!! Did you bury the entire dog line by hand or rent a trencher?

Fancy with the whole house humidifier. I've looked into those before but will be running a 3-gallon one for the 3rd year. So they can freeze inside the house?

I buried it by hand and it wasn't that fun but only took maybe 2.5-3 hours. Trencher would have been easier but would have torn up the lawn more. I used a garden edger (see below) and just shoved it in and moved the ground back and forth to create a trench a few inches deep and an inch or so wide. I then used a speed square to shove the cable into the trench.

If the house has too much moisture in it, you'll have issues with frost on your windows and in the attic (like below). If you have a manual one, you basically need to know when the temperature will drop and drop the humidity before the temperature drops. Most people set them at a certain % then run into these issues. Bringing the Ecobee into the fold fixes that issue. They also have automatic humidistat models as well that requires you to run a temperature sensor outside but this accomplishes the same thing.

Corey
Site Admin

Quarantine projects

Postby Corey » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:56 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey has been busy!! Did you bury the entire dog line by hand or rent a trencher?

I buried it by hand and it wasn't that fun but only took maybe 2.5-3 hours. Trencher would have been easier but would have torn up the lawn more. I used a garden edger (see below) and just shoved it in and moved the ground back and forth to create a trench a few inches deep and an inch or so wide. I then used a speed square to shove the cable into the trench.

If the house has too much moisture in it when the temperature drops, you'll have issues with frost on your windows and in the attic (like below). If you have a manual one, you basically need to know when the temperature will drop and drop the humidity before the temperature drops. Most people set them at a certain % then run into these issues. Bringing the Ecobee into the fold fixes that issue. They also have automatic humidistat models as well that requires you to run a temperature sensor outside but this accomplishes the same thing.

Corey
Site Admin

Quarantine projects

Postby Corey » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:57 am

If the house has too much moisture in it when the temperature drops, you'll have issues with frost on your windows and in the attic (like below). If you have a manual one, you basically need to know when the temperature will drop and drop the humidity before the temperature drops. Most people set them at a certain % then run into these issues. Bringing the Ecobee into the fold fixes that issue. They also have automatic whole home humidifier models as well that requires you to run a temperature sensor outside but this accomplishes the same thing.

blake

Quarantine projects

Postby blake » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:41 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post After

Stairs upstairs hallway and bathrooms are being finished over the next few daysImageImageImage

love the tile. looks great
Tyler
Owner

Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:47 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post If you have a manual one, you basically need to know when the temperature will drop and drop the humidity before the temperature drops.

Dont most people run their humidifiers only in the winter? I do dehumdifier in the basement all spring/summer, and then humidifier in the bedrooms during the winter. Does your whole house one not run during the winter?
Corey
Site Admin

Quarantine projects

Postby Corey » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:54 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Corey wrote:Source of the post If you have a manual one, you basically need to know when the temperature will drop and drop the humidity before the temperature drops.

Dont most people run their humidifiers only in the winter? I do dehumdifier in the basement all spring/summer, and then humidifier in the bedrooms during the winter. Does your whole house one not run during the winter?

No that is all true. If you have it set to 35% though and it drops to 0º, you will have frost issues. You need to see that drop coming so you can stop pumping humidity into the air ahead of that drop. Read this: https://www.structuretech.com/blog/humidifiers
ejhartman91

Quarantine projects

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post They also have automatic humidistat models as well that requires you to run a temperature sensor outside but this accomplishes the same thing.

I have this. We had a manual controller and I bought the automatic controller (same brand as humidifier - Aprilaire) and had a family friend that works in HVAC come over and help me install it. It was much more work than I thought it would be (have to do some wiring to the furnace board for the new controller) but it's way better than having to go adjust the humidity setting every time the temp swings (Iowa is notorious for this in early/late winter).
Tyler
Owner

Re: Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:06 pm

This kind of counts. Built a fish tank stand for my nephew at the request of his parents.

Picture they provided. They said no doors.
What I made. It's heavy!
ImageImage
wags83

Quarantine projects

Postby wags83 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Turned out nice!
simo

Quarantine projects

Postby simo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:55 am

Evie adding a realistic touch to the model shots haha

Are you going to stain it or anything?
Tyler
Owner

Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:33 am

simo wrote:Source of the post Evie adding a realistic touch to the model shots haha

Thank you. You're the first to comment on that. In laws didnt even laugh.

simo wrote:Source of the post Are you going to stain it or anything?

That's on them. They want it to match some existing furniture so they plan on staining it I think

It was a fun build. I challenged myself not to have any visible butt joints like the original design. skinned the base in 1x4s and had to put 45s on 2 edges. That was tricky and made me realize my miter saw is not perfectly straight, but I made it work.
wags83

Quarantine projects

Postby wags83 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:41 am

simo wrote:Source of the post Evie adding a realistic touch to the model shots haha

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Thank you. You're the first to comment on that. In laws didnt even laugh.

Lol, it didn't even occur to me that she was holding up fish when I first looked. That's actually pretty funny.

Did you make your in-laws sign a waiver that you're not liable for anything if/when it collapses under the weight of the aquarium?
Tyler
Owner

Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:52 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Did you make your in-laws sign a waiver that you're not liable for anything if/when it collapses under the weight of the aquarium?

I feel pretty confident about the strength of it, at least on the 3 sides. MAYBE I should add a 2x4 to the front middle, but will I?
simo

Quarantine projects

Postby simo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:20 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post MAYBE I should add a 2x4 to the front middle, but will I?

Let's scare him into it! Avg weight of a gallon of water is 8.3lbs times 90 gallons...

747lbs with just the water. The tank is gonna be topping 800lbs when all is said and done!

Really, you'll be fine. The corners have direct contact to those vertical 2x4s which will handle almost all of the load. Wouldn't worry about another support in the front plus it'd detract the aesthetics. Hope you used screws.

But what about tipping over.....;)
Tyler
Owner

Quarantine projects

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:25 pm

simo wrote:Source of the post Let's scare him into it! Avg weight of a gallon of water is 8.3lbs times 90 gallons...

747lbs with just the water. The tank is gonna be topping 800lbs when all is said and done!

Lol you turd. I did the math, and their tank is closer to 60 gallons, not 90, and that is assuming it is filled to the brim.

You are right, its not like all the weight is on that front 2x4, it is spread over everything.

I'll post an update in a couple of hours. I have an easy idea to add supports.
Corey
Site Admin

Quarantine projects

Postby Corey » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:25 pm

simo wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post MAYBE I should add a 2x4 to the front middle, but will I?

Let's scare him into it! Avg weight of a gallon of water is 8.3lbs times 90 gallons...

Really, you'll be fine. The corners have direct contact to those vertical 2x4s which will handle almost all of the load. Wouldn't worry about another support in the front plus it'd detract the aesthetics. Hope you used screws.

But what about tipping over.....;)

Anchor it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCpE-KvDEvo

Return to “Off Topic”