Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Three-Body Problem | Netflix - David Benioff, D.B. Weiss

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:33 am

I have heard a lot about this book on multiple podcasts. People love it, or can't get through it. Curious if they will westernize it or leave it set in Asia.

Double D's are good at adapting books, so there is a chance this works out for them?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:18 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Double D's are good at adapting books, so there is a chance this works out for them?

As long as the have the source material. When they have to work off a general plotline, not so much.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Haha, I was gonna say something similar Danny. I assume people who are still mad about GoT will write this off.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 am

big if true.

I got this book for christmas, maybe I'll start it after I finish my current book.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:29 pm

About a quarter of the way through the book, has some VR stuff, Tyler. I think that’s a pre-requisite for you to read a book.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:53 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post About a quarter of the way through the book, has some VR stuff, Tyler. I think that’s a pre-requisite for you to read a book.

I've heard the first 1/3 is a tough read because it's just Chinese politics and not sci-fi?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:08 pm

Yes it is heavy in the past politics, but that didn't really deter me. Chapters are pretty short and it moves to a different character or subject. I think the hardest part is right now the loosely connected characters makes it feel like the book is a series of vignettes without an over-arching plot.

Like the synopsis of the book is: Set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilization on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion.

I'm nearly halfway through the book and just learned the goal of the Red Coast is to make contact. Reading the synopsis it wasn't hard to infer that, but none-the-less it only popped up now. I am curious about the VR plot, and what it has to do with alien contact. This is also the first book in a trilogy, but I didn't know that when asking for the book.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 am

Finished this book last night. If you use the the synopsis I posted above, you really don't get to those points until 50-60% of the way through the book.
If you were to finish this book and not read into the sequels, you could probably be satisfied with the ending. It ends on this bleak, sense of dread and impending doom note with a touch of hope. There are many sci-fi stories that have this type of ending.

I thought the read was pretty simple. Not overly dense like other sci-fi books, but there were a few parts that took a re-read to get an understanding. I've read shorter books/stories that took me longer (HP Lovecraft, I'm looking at you). I'm sure there were somethings lost in translation or to my lack of knowledge on Chinese culture/history, but I didn't feel like that hindered my enjoyment of the book. I'll continue reading this trilogy and report back, but it will be a few months.

Book recommendations are harder for me because my library of books is small compared to movies or tv shows and even video games.
If you're into sci-fi especially harder sci-fi, you could probably jive with this book.

Return to “Off Topic”