Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

TWD s08e05

Sundays 9/8c on AMC
Tyler
Owner

TWD s08e05

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:49 am

Reddit is praising this episode and saying the season is finally getting good. I thought it (barely) made more sense than the previous episodes, but it was also more boring.

I can summarize the entire episode in 20 seconds:
Daryl and Rick have a falling out because Daryl wants to kill everyone and Rick doesn't.
Gabriel didn't killed Negan when he could have and is now locked up sick
Negan's lieutenants suspect a rat and Eugene knows it's Dwight
Oh look, a helicopter.

Notice I didn't mention Gregory? He was the focal point of 25% of the episode and none of the scenes with him progressed the plot forward. Why does the TWD insist on having extended episode and then fills them with non-vital scenes?

Was this a good episode and I'm just way hard on the show? All I ask for is establishing shots so we know what is going on. Why couldn't we get a good view of outside the savior's compound so we knew how many zombies were out there. Hands tapping on the trailer window when Gabby/Negan were in there was not enough. Whenever the Saviors were shown inside of the compound chilling in the boardroom or playing Atari I found it impossible to believe there was a real threat outside. I don't think we've gotten a good view of the compound since Eugene was getting his tour.

From Reddit:
Simon mentioned “send in flyers” during the flashback to the meeting with Negan.
He says "we'll take a flyer on the place and kill everyone there." Definitely sounds like this could be a helicopter, maybe more than one!!
wags83

TWD s08e05

Postby wags83 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 am

The thing that is bothering me most about this season is the constant flash back scenes. Not flash backs in the sense that it shows background on a character, just flashbacks to moments where we already know what happens. It's so worthless showing some of the stuff they're showing.

Garbage people are back next week, so it's sure to be a bad episode.
Tyler
Owner

Re: TWD s08e05

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 am

Agree about the flashbacks. The flashbacks aren't adding to anything other than runtime to the episode. We already know how those scenes are going to end and it doesn't matter.
Tyler
Owner

TWD s08e05

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:04 am

My biggest compliant this season is that the audience isn't in on the plan. We have no idea what the score of the war is, because we don't know when Rick is achieving his plan or not. Some people on Reddit are defending this and saying it's creative to slowly reveal the plan to the audience while it is happening. I could see a better show pulling that off, but all TWD is doing is making smart characters look dumb because we don't know what is going on.

First episode of the season had Rick/Jesus/everyone driving a hoard of hundreds of zombies to the doorstep of the Saviors compound. This didn't just put Negan and his lieutenants at risk, it doomed everyone in the compound. A later episode had Jesus fighting Morgan on if they should kill Saviors or not. This episode had Rick fighting Daryl on if they should kill workers or not. Rick and Jesus were okay with dooming everyone to their death in the first episode, but aren't okay with it now?

With these characters contradicting their own actions I'm going to take a guess of what the master plan is. Rick brings a hoard of zombies to the compound, just so Rick can come back later and clear the hoard. This somehow buys the loyalty of the workers and they turn their backs to Negan and join Rick?

Return to “The Walking Dead”