Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

TWD - Directors

Sundays 9/8c on AMC
Tyler
Owner

TWD - Directors

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:17 am

When I saw who was directing the episode last night I warned the group that action scenes are going to be bad. Greg Nicotero is a world class special effects makeup artist. One of the best. In 2013 AMC for some reason gave him a couple of webisodes to direct. From there he was given some actual Walking Dead episodes. He is now up to 24 episodes!

TWD use to hire good directors. Back in 2010-2014 they had Michelle MacLaren direct an episode a year. That name probably doesn't mean anything to most, but she has directed Westworld, Leftovers, Game of Thrones, and 11 episodes of Breaking Bad. She is one of the best directors working in TV, and now AMC settles for the makeup guy that they have sitting around set.

There are a lot of other examples of directors doing HBO/premium shows and then coming to TWD, but all of that stopped around 2014. If you look at the new batch of directors' past work, instead of things like The Wire, they have the Timon & Pumbaa tv show.

AMC is making the show worse by hiring inexperienced directors. Some of the directors are getting their FIRST EVER directing credit with this show. Yes, everyone needs to start somewhere and kudos for AMC for giving them a chance, but there are probably better shows for someone to learn with.

/rant
wags83

TWD - Directors

Postby wags83 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:44 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post but there are probably better shows for someone to learn with.

Well that just highlights exactly what this show has turned into. "You've never directed before? Go ahead and take an episode of TWD, they'll take literally anyone."
purple_hayes

TWD - Directors

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 am

Ummm... how is the Walking Dead still a thing. Its devoid of everything what made the comic book great. They've jumped the zombie shark already. Just shoot it in the head.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

TWD - Directors

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:26 pm

I would rather them hire a good writer. I'll take weird and artsy ass shots and awkward combat over the disjointed dumpster fire this show currently is.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: TWD - Directors

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:I would rather them hire a good writer. I'll take weird and artsy ass shots and awkward combat over the disjointed dumpster fire this show currently is.
That's a very valid point. The writers ALMOST had a cool part in the most recent episode. It was actually really interesting for Rick to accuse Negan of killing all the dumpster people. You could see it in Negan's face that he put it together that Simon screwed him.

None of this will matter tho because Jadis snatched Negan out of thin air and they will have an uninteresting conversation about it now.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

TWD - Directors

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:50 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:I would rather them hire a good writer. I'll take weird and artsy ass shots and awkward combat over the disjointed dumpster fire this show currently is.
That's a very valid point. The writers ALMOST had a cool part in the most recent episode. It was actually really interesting for Rick to accuse Negan of killing all the dumpster people. You could see it in Negan's face that he put it together that Simon screwed him.

None of this will matter tho because Jadis snatched Negan out of thin air and they will have an uninteresting conversation about it now.

You know, I actually didn't mind the most recent episode if you discount the randomly flipping car and rick shooting at nothing.

Return to “The Walking Dead”