Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Oculus Rift S

Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:49 am

In the wake of the overhaul’s cancellation, the company will be pursuing a more modest product update — possibly called the “Rift S” — to be released as early as next year, which makes minor upgrades to the device’s display resolution while more notably getting rid of the external sensor-tracking system, sources tell us. Instead, the headset will utilize the integrated “inside-out” Insight tracking system, which is core to Facebook’s recently announced Oculus Quest standalone headset.

Link
In the article it talks about cancelling Rift 2. That was big news last week, but Facebook said they are still working on future versions of Rift.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:06 pm

This still isn't confirmed, but there is more evidence for it.

It will have inside out tracking like WMR and will hopefully cost less than the Rift. I would get it in a heartbeat if it was $300ish and I would sell my Samsung. I miss having an Oculus proper headset. Resolution would matter tho, I don't want to go back to base Rift resolution. Samsung isn't drastically higher, but it is high enough that I would notice the downgrade going to Rift's.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 am

Rumor is it is announced next week at GDC. Here's hoping! Would be an instant buy from me at $350 or less, assuming I can sell the Samsung for around $200.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Reading this VR book is getting me hyped for new hardware. Rift S is still not officially announced, but rumors point to it being announced and on shelves this week. Oculus/FB did something similar (but not as drastic with the Go). My local BBY have no Rifts in stock, same with Amazon and many other stores.

If it's $299 it's an instant buy for me. Quest is $399 confirmed and has to have CPU on a chip, battery, etc.

Pie in the sky announcement is the Quest can be stand alone and tethered. At $399 that would be an instant buy as well.

Nothing big came out of GDC other than Quest demos. Word on the floor is that Oculus were giving out demos to something with an embargo on it until Wednesday. It hope it's more than just Quest games
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 am

No one cares and I am already pingning most of the guys about this. $400. This spring. A lot of pros and cons. I will probably get it.
wags83

Oculus Rift S

Postby wags83 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:58 am

Cons outweigh the pros in my opinion from what you've told me. I'll keep the regular Rift for now since I don't use it enough to justify an "upgrade."

Like I mentioned in the chat, if I were to make a change, I'd go with the Quest over the S.
bmyoungs

Oculus Rift S

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Yeah it's be a quest user for sure. If I can find a buyer for my rift I'll order a quest

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Going from Rift to Rift S doesn't makes sense for anyone. Going from no Rift to Rift S does.

I think Quest would be a great compliment to Rift, but I would want more. Also like we discussed in the chat, I think most of the guys here could only have a Quest and be content.

I could see a world where Rift OG becomes popular and expensive in the used marketed because you can't buy new ones now and the S isn't good enough to get Rift guys to switch over and sell their used ones.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:06 am

I can't use Rift S, and neither can you.
Blog post by Palmer Luckey, the inventor of the Rift. He said the non-adjustable IDP is the biggest flaw of the headset.
wags83

Oculus Rift S

Postby wags83 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 am

Yeah that seems like a really dumb thing to exclude.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 am

I'm about 10 years overdue for an eye appointment. I need to schedule one and get my IPD measured.

The GO doesn't havent an adjustable IPD and I think that headset looks great to me, so I must be in the window of tolerance
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:11 am

Sony has sold 4.2 MILLION VR headsets. They do not include IPD adjustment and you never find people online complaining about it. I think the Rift S will be fine without the adjustment, it's more a case of people feeling cheated that it was there before and now isn't. I'm not going to let the IPD stuff talk me out of buying the S.

My VR podcast this week is discussing the Rift S in detail because one of the guys tried it. So far they score it as following:

Comfort +1 --halo strap is superior
Tracking +1 --ease of setup and you will not notice a difference 99.5% of the time
Lens +1 -no more godrays and bigger sweet spot
Screen +0 --OLED to RGB. People say RGB is worse because colors aren't as good as OLED, but the pixel layout is better. See below. Plus Rift has muted colors as it is. I notice much better colors in my Samsung. Slight bump in resolution probably won't be noticed, but the pixel layout will be.
IPD -1 --but won't matter for majority of people.
Passthrough+ +1 --the feature you didn't know you wanted, but a huge game changer
Audio -1 --built in speakers vs built in headphones

Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 am

Checking Reddit all day hoping more leaks are posted about Rift S and Quest being in Best Buy backrooms.

In the meantime I ordered a 10" Display Port extension cable since Rift S ditched the HDMI
Corey
Site Admin

Oculus Rift S

Postby Corey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:43 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Checking Reddit all day hoping more leaks are posted about Rift S and Quest being in Best Buy backrooms.

In the meantime I ordered a 10" Display Port extension cable since Rift S ditched the HDMI

That'll be nice to have almost an extra foot!
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:27 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post That'll be nice to have almost an extra foot!

GDI. It took me 7 times of reading this to see what was going on.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Wed May 08, 2019 10:14 am

Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 am

I was at Best Buy yesterday and decided to change my ship to store for pickup preorder to ship to house. It would have been the worst thing in the world if the baby gets delivered early and I don't have time to make it to Best Buy on the other side of town /s
But for real, that is something I wouldn't want the hassle of if he does come a little early. Maybe if Oculus would have released it early spring instead!!!

New rumor mill, that has no real evidence, is that the Rift S and Quest release dates are later than people were hoping is because some launch games aren't ready. The hardware is ready to go, but Oculus promised X games on the Rift S and 50+ on the Quest so they want to make sure they deliver that.
bmyoungs

Oculus Rift S

Postby bmyoungs » Mon May 13, 2019 6:08 pm

That's fair. It would suck to have a quest now with no games

Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Oculus Rift S

Postby Tyler » Mon May 13, 2019 7:35 pm

bmyoungs wrote:That's fair. It would suck to have a quest now with no games

But 20 games would be enough for launch and then let the other ones come over over 3 months. No console launches with 50 titles. That's going to hurt sales of the smaller ones I think
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat May 18, 2019 8:11 am

Yesterday my Best Buy order said it would be here release day, Tuesday May 21st. When I checked last night it was moved to Thursday!!!!

If that stays true I'll be buying one Tuesday in store and returning the one that came in the mail.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”