Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Pistol Whip - VR

Tyler
Owner

Pistol Whip - VR

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:17 pm

There was another game here that I called Beat Saber, but with guns. This seems to be the better example of this. I predict this game to be very popular. This looks like Super Hot + Beat Saber. Also coming to Quest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZueqQpsxmdI
wags83

Pistol Whip - VR

Postby wags83 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:16 pm

That looks awesome! I was gonna say, it's like being in John Wick...but then they said it...a bunch of times.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Pistol Whip - VR

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:26 pm

I'm curious how the rythm aspect will work since you are shooting multiple targets in any order it seems. Just shoot on the beat?
Tyler
Owner

Pistol Whip - VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:19 pm

This is coming soon to Quest. I suspect we get a date this week during Oculus's big event.
Tyler
Owner

Pistol Whip - VR

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Tyler
Owner

Pistol Whip - VR

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:41 am

Played this last night for 30 minutes or so. Way more of a workout than I was expecting. Beat Saber is a lot of arm movements, but this is more leg. There is an option to play with 2 guns, but I opted for only one and tried to use both hands to shoot it.

This game is being described as Beat Saber meets Super Hot and I only sort of agree with that...for now. I have zero musical rhythm so I am mostly just playing this as a John Wick simulator. I would expect someone like Wags to be way better at this game because he played a musical instrument his whole life and understands the flow of music.

Each bad guy you shoot can score you up to 200 points. 100 point for accuracy (more on that in a second) and 100 points for shooting on the beat of the song. I would occasionally get 190+ scores, but I couldn't tell what I was doing different from the times I got 87.

As for accuracy - the game's default has an aim assist. It's not the kind of assist that locks onto targets, but if you point and shoot in the general direction of an enemy chances are you are going to hit him. I ended most easy levels with ~80% accuracy. There is the option to turn off aim assist and get a 20% increase in all points. I tired this until I died...which took about 45 seconds. Without the aim assist you realize just how bad your aim is. The point of the game is meant to make you feel like John Wick so the aim assist makes sense.

I liked the game and I think I will be keeping it, but I understand why someone might play through the 10 songs on easy and think that was kind of lame and return it. I want to try the game with headphones next time and see if that helps with shooting to the beat. Quest/Rift S have the open sound design and famously little bass, so I think headphones would go a long way.

TL;DR - It's not as much Beat Saber as I thought and I think most people would prefer Beat Saber over this game. It is fun though, even without timing the shots to music.
Tyler
Owner

Pistol Whip - VR

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:13 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I want to try the game with headphones next time and see if that helps with shooting to the beat

It certainly helped. I got into some very small flows where I was hitting a half dozen in a row and getting 200pts each. I am using $10 headphones so the bass still isn't great, but having the sound louder in my ear helped with that scoring aspect.

I can only play about 4 songs on normal difficulty before I start sweating too much.
Tyler
Owner

Pistol Whip - VR

Postby Tyler » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:29 pm

wags83

Pistol Whip - VR

Postby wags83 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am

That's badass! I want to try this out.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Pistol Whip - VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:41 am

wags83 wrote:That's badass! I want to try this out.
You will not be this good when you try it. Buy it on rift! It will work on your future quest...assuming it is cross play
Tyler
Owner

Pistol Whip - VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:31 pm

Since I suck at getting points, I decided to duel wield tonight and just take the -20% score. I felt like such a badass using both guns on the middle difficulty. Very fun experience.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”