Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Xbox One vs PS4

Tyler
Owner

Xbox One vs PS4

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 am

Here is where Microsoft turns out to be a big flop. The gaming community thrives on second hand and rental games. Why? Because games at the end of it are certainly expensive. Microsoft recently announced that it would be restricting the game distribution where you can resell a game only through a game publisher. Also, with the Xbox One while each game can be shared, it can be shared only once. Now that happens to be extremely restrictive.

Sony on the other hand has announced that the Sony PlayStation 4 will not come with any such restrictions. The console like previous iterations will not limit disc sharing and continues to have the same used games policy.
[youtube]kWSIFh8ICaA[/youtube]

Xbox One= $500
PS4 = $400
However, Xbox comes with their fancy new Kinect, so that is where the price difference comes from.

There are other things that are in PS4's favor, like not having to be connected to the internet to play. I'm sure I'll find more information on all of this later.
robh56

Re: Xbox One vs PS4

Postby robh56 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:16 am

Xbox have seriously not thought about this, i can only see ps4 being the winner.

That being said a lot of gamers don't look at specs, and will buy Microsoft's because they liked the 360.

Word of mouth will have a lot to say and if it starts to spread, along with the price, Microsoft have a major disadvantage.

Will they do packages without the kinect? Having to have the kinect is stupid, as a higher price for the console with paying to be online to is a lot of money to part with
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 am

From what I understand the Kinect is required to be on for the Xbox to work.

And I fall into the category that if I got one it would be an Xbox, even though at the time that seems like a bad idea. Microsoft will fix some of these issues for sure.

But really, I don't see myself buying either and will likely build a PC within the next year.
robh56

Postby robh56 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:33 am

The best thing to do is wait at least a few months anyway with the slim version to come.

Both consoles seem very chunky. I will be waiting to see which console the majority of my mates get, but it will probably be sony again, as i had the 360 first and it just wasn't for me.

The only draw for me with the xbox is the tv capabilities, but i assume sony will have their own version in time, just without as much attention on that aspect
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:48 am

I'll be getting the Xbox for Christmas from work but I'll probably only use it for sports games and all of the multimedia features, which I am pretty excited about. I will play any game that is available for PC on the PC over the Xbox since I just built a fairly powerful gaming rig.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Corey wrote:I'll be getting the Xbox for Christmas from work but I'll probably only use it for sports games and all of the multimedia features, which I am pretty excited about. I will play any game that is available for PC on the PC over the Xbox since I just built a fairly powerful gaming rig.

I still want to know more about the multimedia stuff. Does it work with any cable provider?
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Tyler wrote:
Corey wrote:I'll be getting the Xbox for Christmas from work but I'll probably only use it for sports games and all of the multimedia features, which I am pretty excited about. I will play any game that is available for PC on the PC over the Xbox since I just built a fairly powerful gaming rig.

I still want to know more about the multimedia stuff. Does it work with any cable provider?

Some people think that for the non-Comcast (and any others they decide to support), you would plug your HDMI into the Xbox One, then when the Xbox wants to change channels it would send out IR signals to the cable box (via an IR blaster probably). I am assuming that with Comcast it would work directly through the HDMI and be able to send the commands without having to us IR. Who knows though. I am curious about this as well.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:09 pm

So you would need a cable box for this to work. It's not like there is a coax cable jack in the back and you can just plug it into your wall?

I have DirecTV cable boxes already, it would have to offer something important to bypass those boxes
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:17 pm

This little comparison was actually on Slick Deals.
Xbox One / PS4 comparison:

Price: $499 / $399
HDD: Included (both 500GB; Source: Sony Corporate Press Release) (PS4's HDD is user-upgradable [twitter.com])
Camera: Kinect included / Move Camera not included
Online Play: Both require Xbox Gold or PS+ subscription
Console Check-in DRM: Xbox One has it / PS4 does not.
Region Locking: Xbox One is locked / PS4 is region free [twitter.com]
They both use the same AMD APU: Xbox One has 12 GPU Units; PS4 has 16 GPU Units, which means the PS4 has a theoretical 33% GPU advantage.
XBOX One uses DDR3; PS4 uses GDDR5 http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic...omparison/

I didn't even know GDDR5 was a type of RAM. And the PS4 has a better GPU.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:20 pm

no reason for me to buy either any time soon. i buy 4 games a year now and that is 2 sports games and 2 big titles. i still would prefer the xbox at this point.
robh56

Postby robh56 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:25 pm

I didn't know you had to have ps+ for online play, is that not just an option?

What are all the multimedia options for the xbox as well? This is the one thing, which is still making me keep my options open up to now
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Tyler wrote:So you would need a cable box for this to work. It's not like there is a coax cable jack in the back and you can just plug it into your wall?

I have DirecTV cable boxes already, it would have to offer something important to bypass those boxes

No I am almost positive that it will still require your cable/satellite receiver.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm

robh56 wrote:
What are all the multimedia options for the xbox as well? This is the one thing, which is still making me keep my options open up to now

DVR, picture in picture, guide, etc
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:49 pm

The lack of used games/ game sharing on XBOX1 is a real turn off. There are a lot of times we share games amongst ourselves, or I pick up a used copy of a game I missed.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:54 pm

DannyFanny wrote:The lack of used games/ game sharing on XBOX1 is a real turn off. There are a lot of times we share games amongst ourselves, or I pick up a used copy of a game I missed.

yeah i dont like that either. i know you and tyler share games a lot, and not being able to would suck.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 am

Didn't realize how small the PS4 was
robh56

Postby robh56 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:45 am

Wow i thought it was a lot bigger than that, will they even bother bringing a slim version out with the size of that
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:27 pm

robh56 wrote:Wow i thought it was a lot bigger than that, will they even bother bringing a slim version out with the size of that

If they do a slim version it's going to take like 4+ years I bet, just like it did last time.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:32 pm

wags83

Postby wags83 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Lulz

Return to “Video Games”