Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

ARK: Survival Of The Fittest (free to play PC)

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Crckrjack and Cwilkins have been playing this a lot. Guys, tell us about the game and Ark proper. Very mixed reviews on ARK: SotF.

ARK: SotF
http://store.steampowered.com/app/407530/

ARK
http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/

[youtube]56SvsV6Pb6E[/youtube]
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:35 pm

I don't have enough patience to type a review on my phone. Expect some detail later
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:14 am

If you don't have ARK i think this would be very frustrating. You only get to play for about 5 minutes (unless you somehow miraculously don't get killed and live longer) and then you're done. It would be very difficult to learn how to play on the official servers. Maybe in unofficial you could just have a 1v1 with a friend to learn the game or something, but having the time limit would make it very hard to learn how to play the game.

Fun story: chris and I were playing in a 2s game and we were getting some tranq arrows for a trex. I had about 10 arrows and chris had like 20-30. I ran out while shooting it, so went to go make more, while I was running back I see the trex turn on chris and just absolutely annihilates him. I hit the trex with one more arrow and it goes to sleep.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:18 am

Haha, Wilkins sucks.

Does every player get to choose from the same character/weapons, or is it like COD where the more you play the better stuff you get?
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:28 am

Everyone starts with nothing. Well you can have cosmetic things, but those don't give you any boosts.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:35 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Everyone starts with nothing. Well you can have cosmetic things, but those don't give you any boosts.

Good, that levels the playing field a little bit for new players. 5 minutes is enough time to build weapons, trap dinos, and train them?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:45 am

Well, I typed up a two page note about my experience with both games, but it didn't save, so fuck it.

Basically, its a watered down version of Ark. Some dinos, weapons, etc are removed, and the map is reduced to about 1/10th of the main map. Some things are crafted differently, and the gathering/experience rates are insanely boosted. To level from 1-70 in ARk would take a month. You can do it in 25 minutes here. Hitting one stone mine yield you one stone, whereas here, you might get 35.

Taming is also insanely accelerated. A rex might typically take 2 hours to tame, whereas here its 5 minutes.

People use different builds, either solely taming, solely weapons, (or just being a little girl and hiding).

Typically, I don't do team, because you have to watch out for other people COUGHTIMCOUGH. I like to do solo and am typically one of the last 5 people remaining, even with my garbage pc that makes PVP impossible.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:50 am

I forgot to mention. You could absolutely play this and never play Ark. Obviously Ark helps, but you could do this with some practice. It would take probably 6 or 7 games to get the hang of it though.

The nice thing about Single Player is that every thing you can craft is already unlocked, whereas in team games, it unlocks as you level. So you already know everything you can craft, and what is required to craft it.

Dino tames are the same all around. Craft an arrow, pick narcoberries. Craft Tranq arrows, tranq the dumb thing. Feed it meat or berries. TAMED
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:52 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the postTo level from 1-70 in ARk would take a month. You can do it in 25 minutes here.

What do you gain from leveling in SotF?

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post even with my garbage pc that makes PVP impossible.

What's wrong with your PC? There shouldn't be anything with it that puts you at a disadvantage.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:03 am

Each time you level, you can up a point in a skill. Weight to carry more (which is huge in this), speed, or health. You can do melee damage, oxygen, and some others, but those won't help you in this game mode.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post cwilkins88 wrote:
Source of the post even with my garbage pc that makes PVP impossible.

What's wrong with your PC? There shouldn't be anything with it that puts you at a disadvantage.

In the last month or so, my computer can't play this game for crap. Every time I try to do PVP or something super quickly, I'll stutter. I think its a memory leak, and may have fixed it, but IDK.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:17 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Each time you level, you can up a point in a skill. Weight to carry more (which is huge in this), speed, or health. You can do melee damage, oxygen, and some others, but those won't help you in this game mode.

So Crckrjack is wrong, there are more than just cosmetic upgrades. The more you play the better skills you get, making you even better. I am starting to like games like Halo/TF2/Overwatch where all players have the exact same options, maybe different classes you can pick - these games make it easier for people to play without investing hundreds of hours.
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post In the last month or so, my computer can't play this game for crap. Every time I try to do PVP or something super quickly, I'll stutter. I think its a memory leak, and may have fixed it, but IDK.

That's very strange. Your hardware should be able to handle it easily.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:19 am

Source of the post Each time you level, you can up a point in a skill. Weight to carry more (which is huge in this), speed, or health. You can do melee damage, oxygen, and some others, but those won't help you in this game mode.

So Crckrjack is wrong, there are more than just cosmetic upgrades. The more you play the better skills you get, making you even better. I am starting to like games like Halo/TF2/Overwatch where all players have the exact same options, maybe different classes you can pick - these games make it easier for people to play without investing hundreds of hours.

Leveling is in that match only. Your level is reset to 1 after each match and doesn't stay with you. In regular Ark, you progress, but here you do not.

Source of the post In the last month or so, my computer can't play this game for crap. Every time I try to do PVP or something super quickly, I'll stutter. I think its a memory leak, and may have fixed it, but IDK.

That's very strange. Your hardware should be able to handle it easily.

I used to be able to run the game on Ultra. Now I can barely handle Medium. Some sites suggested it was a memory leak in Windows 10, and I tried their fixes yesterday, but haven't gotten on to see how it runs yet.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:21 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Leveling is in that match only. Your level is reset to 1 after each match and doesn't stay with you. In regular Ark, you progress, but here you do not.

So Crckrjack didn't lie to me.

How long do matches go?! Seems like I would die within minutes and be stuck watching 40 minutes of gameplay as good players crafted and trained dinos.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:24 am

A Free for all match last 30 minutes. Two man tribe last 35. Four Man tribe lasts forty minutes. The nice thing is once you are eliminated, it kicks you out (so people can't spy and tell others what they are doing).

So if you die in five minutes, move onto the next match with no consequences. If you die on a team game, you can still spectate your tribemates until the end if you wish to.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:27 am

Interesting... so the game would only be fun for teams if you were all good and could make it to the end, otherwise you would be stuck watching them play or getting fed up and just finding a solo game.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:32 am

Possibly yeah. I play with some solid people, so I like to watch. Also, people keep watch on their screen. You are moving around so fast, sometimes you miss people in your peripherals. Most of us just all join the free for all, and play separate though. We do our best not to murder each other first, and then will warn about people getting bigger and whatnot.
Tyler
Owner

Re: ARK: Survival Of The Fittest (free to play PC)

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Idk if Wags has seen this thread, but this game is made for him. I think he would love it.

ARK proper that is, I'm sure he would enjoy SotF too though.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:40 pm

Yes I've seen it and I'm intrigued.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:47 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Yes I've seen it and I'm intrigued.

Did you try any of this? I think SotF might be kb/mouse only, but Ark proper has controller support.

Maybe that isn't an issue since you are a kb/m master because of WoW
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am

I have not tried it. Maybe this weekend I'll look into it.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”