Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

ARK: Survival Of The Fittest (free to play PC)

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:14 am

Yay!!
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:46 pm

Downloaded it, tried to play, didn't know how, got killed, quit. Maybe I'll try again some other time.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:49 pm

If you would've done that fifty more times ,you would've liked it
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:53 am

I'll try it again. I'm not sure why people seem to be so much faster than me. They all sprinted ahead and got weapons and then I got there and there was nothing left. Then some asshat killed me with a slingshot. I got a few good punches in though.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:50 am

Ark is on sale for $16 according to tylersux
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:53 am

Thats a good deal. It lowered in price and added the Titanosaur and redwood biome to increase traffic. Apparently filling up 700 servers is too little.
Tyler
Owner

Re: ARK: Survival Of The Fittest (free to play PC)

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 am

Ark questions. Looking to get the main game via Xbox Game Pass (for PC). We want a cross play game to play casually a few nights a week.

Can you play co-op campaign? Or is it always PvP?
Does the game run 24/7 when you aren't online? Isn't it a thing you could come back a week later and your base is all gone?
Is the game even fun if you are just playing against AI? Are there AI people or just Dino's?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:33 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Ark questions. Looking to get the main game via Xbox Game Pass (for PC). We want a cross play game to play casually a few nights a week.

Can you play co-op campaign? Or is it always PvP?
Does the game run 24/7 when you aren't online? Isn't it a thing you could come back a week later and your base is all gone?
Is the game even fun if you are just playing against AI? Are there AI people or just Dino's?

Can you play co-op campaign? Or is it always PvP? - There is no campaign, but you can join a PvE server, where no one can kill you. There's other ways for people to grief you, but they can't kill you directly. Most servers are always PVP

Does the game run 24/7 when you aren't online? Isn't it a thing you could come back a week later and your base is all gone? - Yup. Happens all the time, that's why when my friends were serious, we had some people going to work at 3pm, so they could take the 11pm to 2pm shift. It's ridiculous. There are some servers that wipe every couple weeks so it isn't a bunch of established people who have been on the same server for 3 years.

Is the game even fun if you are just playing against AI? Are there AI people or just Dino's? - Just Dinos. There is a HUGE portion of the game that is just base building, exploring, doing bosses, taming dinos. You can also do increase resource servers etc.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:37 am

So we should do PvE? Or can you do a private server entirely?
Again, we are frickin casuals and just want something to do a couple hours a week. Maybe this isn't the right game for us
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post So we should do PvE? Or can you do a private server entirely?
Again, we are frickin casuals and just want something to do a couple hours a week. Maybe this isn't the right game for us

PVE would be fun for you. I believe you can set up your own server, but it's been a minute.

The way spawns work, is within a radius of you, with the exception of a few server wide spawns. So if you set up your own server, and you log off, no dinos will spawn and won't mess with yo' junk.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 am

Cool. I guess we will give it a shot this weekend! Thanks for the info
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:46 am

Wilkins, a group of us tried it Monday...we will not be playing again. I can see the appeal of the game...if you have hundreds of hours to dedicate it to it. It seems like an awful game to casually play 2 hours a week or so. It took us 45 minutes to even find each other and then all we could do is make hatchets. I think it would be very cool to build bases and get weapons, but none of us have that time. Some people really hated it, but I could see the potential, but still won't be returning. I'm glad I didn't pay anything for it. $1 gamepass FTW
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:13 am

Tyler wrote:Wilkins, a group of us tried it Monday...we will not be playing again. I can see the appeal of the game...if you have hundreds of hours to dedicate it to it. It seems like an awful game to casually play 2 hours a week or so. It took us 45 minutes to even find each other and then all we could do is make hatchets. I think it would be very cool to build bases and get weapons, but none of us have that time. Some people really hated it, but I could see the potential, but still won't be returning. I'm glad I didn't pay anything for it. $1 gamepass FTW
Yup. Good call. Once you know the map and how to do everything, finding each other is easier. But it still can suck. Once you get a bed, much easier. But definitely not a casual game

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:02 am

There are like five maps now. Was that the case when you were playing?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:22 am

Tyler wrote:There are like five maps now. Was that the case when you were playing?
There were 2 when I played. The rest came out right after I quit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Yeah, no way you can get into this game just to play every once in a while. I also don't want to need to research how to do things in a game. I want some sort of active tutorial that will teach me what I need and then learn as I go for more. With this game you need to read a manual/novel prior to playing.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”