Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Doom (video game)

Tyler
Owner

Doom (video game)

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:22 pm

A lot of video game threads today, why not another one...

Did anyone get this game? I think it is on all platforms? I know tylersux got it and he has been bugging me about getting it for multiplayer, but I really only want it for the intense single player.

Who grew up playing the 1993 Doom? I remember being under 10 and playing it, but I for sure played the original Quake in 1996 more. I had no desire to check out the new Quake games, but for some reason the new Doom game is pulling me in.

85/100 metacritic for PC
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/doom

[youtube]RO90omga8D4[/youtube]
CrckrJack

Doom (video game)

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:28 pm

The game looks pretty. Never played it though. Ritter has it and has played like 1 hour of it in the week and a half he has owned it, I think.
tylersucks

Doom (video game)

Postby tylersucks » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:31 pm

The 2005 Doom version was a really good game too. I had that on the PC and played a lot of that.
ritterc

Doom (video game)

Postby ritterc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:22 am

Yes, I own this game and have played about an hour. So far so good.
ritterc

Doom (video game)

Postby ritterc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:31 am

tylersucks wrote:Source of the post The 2005 Doom version was a really good game too. I had that on the PC and played a lot of that.

Yeah - this is actually why I bought the new one. I spent a lot of hours playing the 2005 version...in the middle of the night..scaring the piss out of my 14 year old self.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Doom (video game)

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:37 pm

I bought it. Steam had it on sale, but then CDkeys lowered their price even lower than that
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:52 pm

This game is tough. I'm playing on the 2nd easiest difficulty. This game is such a fast FPS, the second you stop moving you will die. It's not like a CoD where you can stand still and line up a shot. I am also finding how bad I am with a controller. I don't know if its because I haven't played competitive games in such a long time or that this game forces me to play in a different way, but none of my movement is fluid. I'm having such a hard time hitting my target.

Game looks stunning. I am playing on high (vs Ultra) and getting 30-40 frames/sec on my older graphics card via Steam Link.

Tylersux told me there is a story to the game, but I haven't seen much of that. Pretty much just running around trying to not die and shooting the demons.

Do all the Doom games take place on Mars?
purple_hayes

Doom (video game)

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:37 am

Yeah, there is a story, it does seem you are Mars. Then some how a portal to Hell is opened. Been playing on Ultra, been getting 60 FPS. Game is very fast and quite sexy.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Doom (video game)

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:13 am

purple_hayes wrote:Yeah, there is a story, it does seem you are Mars. Then some how a portal to Hell is opened. Been playing on Ultra, been getting 60 FPS. Game is very fast and quite sexy.

Yep. I am getting parts of the story now. Drilling for resources on Mars and the hell portal was opened. 40% (or was it 60%) of humans turned to demons and the others were killed.

I have mostly only played open world games (Arkham) games for the past years, so interesting to play a linear game again. The game let's you do some things in your own order, but not largely.
purple_hayes

Doom (video game)

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:36 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Yep. I am getting parts of the story now. Drilling for resources on Mars and the hell portal was opened. 40% (or was it 60%) of humans turned to demons and the others were killed.

I have mostly only played open world games (Arkham) games for the past years, so interesting to play a linear game again. The game let's you do some things in your own order, but not largely.

You know me. Only games I do truly enjoy are open world games. I have played almost 430 hours if not more of Fallout 4. But this game brings lots of gore, some mindless shooting and a small amount of problem solving. Seems a lot like the themes of the original. I don't hate it. Its kinda fun. Wish you got more ammo on the shot gun.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:54 pm

You get to level up health, armor, and ammo. Do ammo first. It increases capacity by 33%
purple_hayes

Doom (video game)

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:21 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post You get to level up health, armor, and ammo. Do ammo first. It increases capacity by 33%

Not gonna lie, with so much going on and the game goes soo fast. The power up stuff isn't clicking. I need to keep playing. Let it figure itself out. And maybe... not play the game drunk... that might help my reflexes to.
tylersucks

Doom (video game)

Postby tylersucks » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:32 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post You get to level up health, armor, and ammo. Do ammo first. It increases capacity by 33%

Not gonna lie, with so much going on and the game goes soo fast. The power up stuff isn't clicking. I need to keep playing. Let it figure itself out. And maybe... not play the game drunk... that might help my reflexes to.

Basically you need to clear an area and then explore. Find the 'automap' on each level and that will show you where all the collectibles and upgrades are, chances are you'll have to back track, but that is fine cause its all cleared already. It is like an open world, yet linear platformer, but FPS, and small RPG/puzzle solving all rolled up into one.
Tyler
Owner

Doom (video game)

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:11 am

tylersucks wrote:Source of the post Basically you need to clear an area and then explore. Find the 'automap' on each level and that will show you where all the collectibles and upgrades are, chances are you'll have to back track, but that is fine cause its all cleared already.

This is what I am doing on level 3, I didn't think to do it on the first 2 levels (didn't look at the map ever). Probably not worth replaying those, but it would be easier since I have leveled up some.
Tyler
Owner

Doom (video game)

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:15 am

Doom (PC Digital Download) $28.80
Green Man Gaming has Doom (PC Digital Download) on sale for $28.79 after voucher code SLICK20.
Tyler
Owner

Doom (video game)

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:08 am

wags83

Doom (video game)

Postby wags83 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:08 am

Is it worth getting at that price?
tylersucks

Doom (video game)

Postby tylersucks » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:13 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post

Is it worth getting at that price?

Yes. 100%.
Tyler
Owner

Doom (video game)

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:45 pm

I've been playing this again. I think I am 5 hours in and the campaign is about 13. There isn't enough story to the game to interest me that way, but it is still a fun run 'n gun game. I toggled to the easiest difficulty so I could get through the game faster but I found that was too easy for me since I've gotten this far on the middle difficulty. I went back to that and find the difficulty is balanced just right. I can't stress enough how fast this game is and how you can never stop moving.
Tyler
Owner

Doom (video game)

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:31 am

Doom for $10. I haven't gone back to playing this for awhile, but for $10 it is well worth it

https://slickdeals.net/f/10036756-doom- ... 09-or-less

Return to “Video Games”