Ori and the Blind Forest (video game)

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Tylersux and I think Cwilkins have played this through completion. My favorite host from This is Only a Test podcast (Jeremy) called it his favorite game of 2016. They recently released a "definitive edition" of the game and it is reviewing just as well as the the original. The gameplay reminds me a lot of the 2011 indie hit Limbo - which I loved. I may give this game a chance and see if I get hooked.

88/100
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ori-a ... ve-edition

[youtube]zU3rmggIcpc[/youtube]
tylersucks

Postby tylersucks » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:33 pm

I've played Limbo too, and yes, they are both platformers, but that is about all they have in common. I dont have a lot of patience for difficult games, but this is the only game in a past decade or so that kept my attention once it got hard and had me replaying sections over and over again. Controls are tight and the visuals are awesome. Get it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:34 pm

tylersucks wrote:Source of the post I've played Limbo too, and yes, they are both platformers, but that is about all they have in common.

Is this a straight up platformer and no puzzles? I liked Limbo because of the puzzles and not having to worry about making a jump.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Looks pretty neat. I like a platformer as a nice change of pace sometimes.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:51 pm

I loved this game. I wish I had 1000 more hours of it.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:51 pm

This and child of light were my favorite games of last year. Probably more so than the telltale games
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Ori and the Blind Forest (video game)

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:56 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:This and child of light were my favorite games of last year. Probably more so than the telltale games

Child of Light was another platformer, right? Or maybe I am just confusing the 2 games.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Child of light was an RPG. Mostly good because if the atmosphere and poems that drove the story
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:40 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Child of light was an RPG. Mostly good because if the atmosphere and poems that drove the story

Rpg you say? How long is it
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:41 pm

Not very long. Probably like 12 hours
Tyler
Owner

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest (video game)

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Bought the definite edition of this game today for 50% off. $10 total. It makes me so angry but it's satisfying when I figure things out. I haven't Googled anything yet and I'm playing on normal. I created a save point that was destroying me over and over but I finally got through it. I feel like I'm trying to do things before I'm ready and next time​ I play I'll be back tracking a lot.

Only about 1.75 hours in so far. Playing on Steam Link. I should check the lag because I feel like even a few MS off are messing with me
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Tyler wrote:Bought the definite edition of this game today for 50% off. $10 total. It makes me so angry but it's satisfying when I figure things out. I haven't Googled anything yet and I'm playing on normal. I created a save point that was destroying me over and over but I finally got through it. I feel like I'm trying to do things before I'm ready and next time​ I play I'll be back tracking a lot.

Only about 1.75 hours in so far. Playing on Steam Link. I should check the lag because I feel like even a few MS off are messing with me

It gets very fulfilling. It's a beautiful game
Tyler
Owner

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest (video game)

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Oh yeah, the sound and art are great! I'll play it some more this weekend if I get some free time.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:11 am

I'm really enjoying this game. I played for another hour yesterday. The game is pretty unique in that it's an open world (ish) platformer. The game definitely encourages you to go one way to progress the story, but you can explore different areas and discover some things out of order.

The save mechanic is fun and frustrating. The game doesn't autosave. You need to earn a special gem that allows you to save. I'll often lose myself in the game and die after 15 minutes only to realize I forgot to save and spent all my save gems on a powerful attack. I once created a save with only 1 health remaining and it was in a super difficult​ spot. It was rewarding to finally get out of that situation after I screwed myself into it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:50 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
tylersucks wrote:Source of the post I've played Limbo too, and yes, they are both platformers, but that is about all they have in common.

Is this a straight up platformer and no puzzles? I liked Limbo because of the puzzles and not having to worry about making a jump.

Tylersucks was right and I was wrong.
Limbo/Inside are all about figuring out how to do a puzzle. Some of it comes down to timing, but for the post part it is just exploring the world and trying to figure out how to interact with specific things.

Ori is almost entirely about timing, with some small puzzles, but for the most part you know exactly what has to be done. It sometimes takes you 37 tries before you finally time it right. I thought this would be frustrating, and it is, but it is so rewarding when you finally make the jump or time something correctly.
Donomoto

Postby Donomoto » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 am

If you like more of the non-timing based puzzle games (And a bit of existential philosophy), I'd suggest Swapper

http://store.steampowered.com/app/231160/
tylersucks

Postby tylersucks » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:43 am

Donomoto wrote:Source of the post If you like more of the non-timing based puzzle games (And a bit of existential philosophy), I'd suggest Swapper

I have played this game too. It is great.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:05 am

Donomoto wrote:Source of the post If you like more of the non-timing based puzzle games (And a bit of existential philosophy), I'd suggest Swapper

Oh nice. I got this in a Bundle and completely forgot about it. I played like 30 minutes and it reminded me of a 2D Portal game
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:42 am

This isn't me, but I beat this level last night. Took me like 30 minutes. Looks like this guy used a mouse, that has to make the aiming easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZBfd-jCNkM
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:13 am

Haven't played this for over a week and I doubt I will get back to it soon since so much TV starts up again in April. When I last played I found myself stuck. I couldn't find how to progress in the map and get to the next objective. Usually taking some time off from a game is the best thing to do when you find yourself in a situation like that.

Return to “Video Games”