Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:38 am

Ah, so not the same layout as my old one at all. Only thing on the ground floor is garage, HussBuss2's Ankeny townhouse was like that.
How often will you be destroying the bathroom and Kathryn can't get to her closet? I like the open floorplan on the first floor, and you are right, no need for a table with that island. If you have company you can set up a card table.

Will the computer be on the wall with the stairs going down or up?
CrckrJack

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:42 am

Tyler wrote:Ah, so not the same layout as my old one at all. Only thing on the ground floor is garage, HussBuss2's Ankeny townhouse was like that.
How often will you be destroying the bathroom and Kathryn can't get to her closet? I like the open floorplan on the first floor, and you are right, no need for a table with that island. If you have company you can set up a card table.

Will the computer be on the wall with the stairs going down or up?

Hopefully never since there are two other pooprooms to use. I hadn't thought about that actually, I assumed it would be on the wall with steps going up. I will have to scope it out today when I go to Cody's. I like the floor plan a lot too. Really excited to move and have infinitely more space.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 am

the megamall had Vive demos at the Windows store. Wags and Corey were too scared to try it, instead Corey went around turning off laptops and changing the resolution of 4k monitors to 800x600.
CrckrJack

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:13 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post instead Corey went around turning off laptops and changing the resolution of 4k monitors to 800x600.

LOL
Tyler
Owner

Re: HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:36 am

Gave a lot of demos over the weekend, probably 10+ people tried real VR for the first time. Everyone was impressed. There are always people that just refuse to try it (Ben) but end up having the most fun once they finally cave in
wags83

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby wags83 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:34 pm

It was really fun!
Donomoto

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Donomoto » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:59 am

I gave my own demos (Freaking Video card graphics update prevented me from using my VR via DisplayPort->mini-HDMI, so I had to use my tiny monitor to let the crowd watch what was happening instead of the TV. [Subnote: I only have one HDMI output on my video card]). I think I convinced one friend to buy the VR hardware, but everyone else loved it. Space Pirate Trainer was super popular. I'm calling it now: Vive will pull in the current generation, but the next iteration of VR hardware will be what causes something like "The World".
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:03 am

DVI to HDMI. That's how I display on the TV while the vive using the main HDMI.

I only think a couple people tried Space Pirate Trainer. We had a lot of fun with Rec Room. Social game where you play and talk to strangers. It was hilarious being assaulted by a child who kept calling my buddy around and talking smack. I'm assuming your avatar is as tall as you are, that makes this kid like 4 feet that kept tormenting him.
Donomoto

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Donomoto » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:40 am

Tyler wrote:DVI to HDMI. That's how I display on the TV while the vive using the main HDMI.

I'm going to just end up doing this. Did you get a DVI cable that supported sound? (It's been forever, so I don't remember if DVI supports transport of sound)
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:45 am

I'm using a 15ft HDMI cable and on the PC end of the cable I have the HDMI to DVI adaptor. Evidently the DVI port on my video card puts out sound because the TV has sound when doing it that way.
Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:49 pm

bmyoungs

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Pretty good deal. Same card I have, it's pretty great

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:00 am

Vive has announced a $200 price cut, bringing the Vive to $600. In a few weeks the Oculus Rift is going up to $500. Interesting time to be buying!
wags83

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby wags83 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 am

Even at a $100 price difference, I don't know that I would see the benefit of the Vive but I've only ever played it that time we were at your house.
Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Even at a $100 price difference, I don't know that I would see the benefit of the Vive but I've only ever played it that time we were at your house.

If you knew you were going to buy a 3rd sensor, and extension cables, and a USB card, then I think the Vive would make sense. I think it's universally accepted that Rift has better controllers out of the box, but anyone on r/vive will say that doesn't matter because the new controllers that don't have a release date or price will be better than Rift's.
wags83

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby wags83 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post but anyone on r/vive will say that doesn't matter because the new controllers that don't have a release date or price will be better than Rift's.

Lol, they got us there.

I do like the controls on the Rift much more than the Vive. Does the Vive automatically come with a 3rd sensor? If that's the case then I guess it would be more of a toss up.
Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:16 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Does the Vive automatically come with a 3rd sensor? If that's the case then I guess it would be more of a toss up.

It only needs the 2 included lighthouses for full roomscale, whereas the Rift strongly recommends 3 if you're doing more than standing in place.
CrckrJack

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post Does the Vive automatically come with a 3rd sensor? If that's the case then I guess it would be more of a toss up.

It only needs the 2 included lighthouses for full roomscale, whereas the Rift strongly recommends 3 if you're doing more than standing in place.

You can't even add a 3rd one if you wanted to.

Return to “Video Games”