HTC Vive - Steam VR

Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:25 am

If all goes according to plan, I will be borrowing the HTV Vive during the week. I wanted my parents to try it so I am having a buddy bring it to Evie's party and will set it up that night. I can't wait to see Ben playing VR.
Tyler
Owner

Re: HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:43 am

Was pretty funny watching my parents play. They were super impressed and think they need one now
wags83

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby wags83 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:02 am

Well now you know what you're getting them for Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:54 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Well now you know what you're getting them for Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They would love that. People eventually warm up to the $800 price tag, but then I explain they need a $1,000+ computer to run it. That is a deal breaker for someone that doesn't have a PC already built.

If anyone wants to come over after work this week and try it out let me know. I set it up on the main floor originally, but last night I was able to get it working in the basement. The play area barely meets the minimum space requirement. I'm happy I don't need to keep moving my PC around, I just have cables going all over the basement instead.

Putting this here for me to try later
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/ ... time_help/
Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:26 pm

! Message from: Tyler
Tim, you really need to come over this week and try it. Just come after your OT.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:40 pm

Jocelyn drawing a snowman. Obviously it's 3D for her and she can walk around it.

Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:26 am

Fantastic Contraption is probably my favorite game so far. You all know that I love to build things and I grew up on games like The Incredible Machine. In this game you are building contraptions to accomplish goals. The building is super fun and the game navigation is very clever. After a few minutes of people I felt very immersed in the world. I was sitting on my knees reaching in my tool box getting parts and building crazy things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx-esx_KbJE
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:06 pm

Father in law cooking hotdogs as a convenience store clerk

tylersucks

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby tylersucks » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:46 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Father in law cooking hotdogs as a convenience store clerk

Erie foreshadowing.
Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:22 am

I am returning the headset tomorrow. Giving one last demo tonight for crckrjack and his girlfriend. If anyone ever comes to Des Moines I will ask about borrowing it again.

I showed my neighbor the other night and he is hooked. He wants to build a PC and get some kind of VR setup going. I should ask him about splitting the cost on one...
Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:00 am

Crckrjack and Tylersucks both came over on Friday and brought their SO's and Tylersucks brought his 8 year old daughter.

His daughter knew a lot about some of the games from watching Youtubers play it. Like my niece, she was initially afraid to play it because she didn't trust us. She thought for sure we were going to put on a scary game. Once she got over that she didn't want to share with anyone.

Crckrjack got way into HordZ (zombie shooter) and his girlfriend loved Job Simulator. I've found that people who are resistant to trying VR or think it looks dumb end up liking Job Simulator the most.
CrckrJack

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:49 am

HordZ was awesome. Kathryn liked it a lot and whenever she starts making money she is thinking this will be our 2nd big item purchase (behind a Queen/King bed).

I didn't really like any ofthe "Job Simulator" esque games. but would buy just for the hordz type games and just to make fun of friends and family playing things.
Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:56 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Kathryn liked it a lot and whenever she starts making money she is thinking this will be our 2nd big item purchase (behind a Queen/King bed).

What's going to be the setup in the townhouse? Is your desktop going in the guest bedroom or living room?
If you put it in the guest bedroom you could have an entire VR room. You are on the computer a lot though, do you want to be locked in a room with no human interaction as soon as you get home from work?
CrckrJack

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:57 am

Tyler wrote:
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Kathryn liked it a lot and whenever she starts making money she is thinking this will be our 2nd big item purchase (behind a Queen/King bed).

What's going to be the setup in the townhouse? Is your desktop going in the guest bedroom or living room?
If you put it in the guest bedroom you could have an entire VR room. You are on the computer a lot though, do you want to be locked in a room with no human interaction as soon as you get home from work?

Computer is going to be where most people would put a dining table

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:58 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Computer is going to be where most people would put a dining table

Are you not going to have a table to eat at?
CrckrJack

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:59 am

Tyler wrote:
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Computer is going to be where most people would put a dining table

Are you not going to have a table to eat at?

We don't own a table. There is an island with an overhang that we will use. We eat 95% of our meals on our coffee table that extends up into a table anyway

Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:20 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post We don't own a table.

#youngcouplelivingtogetherinanewapartmentforthefirsttime
Jocelyn and I didn't have a table in Grundy Center, but only because there physically wasn't room for one. We only eat at our table when family/friends are over. We for sure play more board games on the table than eat food at it.
CrckrJack

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:22 am

Tyler wrote:
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post We don't own a table.

#youngcouplelivingtogetherinanewapartmentforthefirsttime
Jocelyn and I didn't have a table in Grundy Center, but only because there physically wasn't room for one. We only eat at our table when family/friends are over. We for sure play more board games on the table than eat food at it.

Yeah and the island is a perfect enough table if we need one. Didn't have a table in the current place because it came with one.

Tyler
Owner

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:25 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Yeah and the island is a perfect enough table if we need one

:text-threadjacked:
Pics of your townhouse floorplan
CrckrJack

HTC Vive - Steam VR

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:27 am

Return to “Video Games”