Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Oculus Rift + Touch

Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:49 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Wish I had $400 laying around. But it will probably be this price again towards the holidays

This is what credit cards are for! It helps that we are only pay half for daycare during the summer.

I spent quite a bit of time messing with it and setting it up. I wanted to get everything set up properly so the headset/senors could reach the living room without moving my desktop every time. The extension cables I have weren't working though. I eventually gave up and just plugged it all directly into the PC so I could at least test it out.

1) Built in headphones are nice. Sound quality is good enough for me and the convenience is great over the Vive.
2) I like the feel of the Touch controllers. Vive's can be held in either hand, these have a R and L. Gestures are also neat
3) No breakout box like the Vive. Headset straight to the PC
4) Sensors need to be plugged into the PC. This is a pain. Vive just needs power and no direct PC connection
5) I think the headset overall is more comfortable than Vive, but Vive has a new headband that is suppose to fix this

I need to play more games before I can comment on those. I think Vive will probably be the room scale winner. The few games I played today had a front that they wanted you to face. It wasn't a huge deal though.

Tomorrow I am going to research cables and get those ordered. Hopefully by the end of the week I have everything set up in its permanent location.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:43 am

*sigh*
Amazon has it for $400 today with $100 gift card. I'll be returning the Best Buy unit today. It will be a PITA packing it all up.

Edit. Shipping is a week. I'll keep Best Buy until then.
kyle

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby kyle » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:31 am

I really enjoyed playing the Oculus with touch at my friends place, but I don't know if I'm ready to drop 400$ plus the price for games on it right now. I will probably wait until either holiday season, or next year.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 am

kyle wrote:Source of the post I don't know if I'm ready to drop 400$ plus the price for games

But what about $400 with a free $100 Amazon gift card?
The free games included with Touch, plus Rec Room (free) and Echo Arena (free) will be enough to hold me over for quite awhile. Plus I bought Rick and Morty VR on the Steam sale.
kyle

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby kyle » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:42 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
kyle wrote:Source of the post I don't know if I'm ready to drop 400$ plus the price for games

But what about $400 with a free $100 Amazon gift card?
The free games included with Touch, plus Rec Room (free) and Echo Arena (free) will be enough to hold me over for quite awhile. Plus I bought Rick and Morty VR on the Steam sale.

That is pretty sweet. You should also look into the game Accounting for VR. It's made by the same guys who make Rick and Morty.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/518580/Accounting/
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:53 am

Corey and Tylersucks also bought. We can get a 4 way Rec Room Quest going if we include Crckrjack's fiancee on the Vive.

I can't wait for Corey to upgrade his GPU immediately. When he tried the Vive on my GTX 970 it was making him motion sick unless he turned the quality to the lowest setting because of the frame rates. His 1060 is min spec for Rift and very comparable with the GTX 970
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Corey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:13 am

Tyler wrote:Corey and Tylersucks also bought. We can get a 4 way Rec Room Quest going if we include Crckrjack's fiancee on the Vive.

I can't wait for Corey to upgrade his GPU immediately. When he tried the Vive on my GTX 970 it was making him motion sick unless he turned the quality to the lowest setting because of the frame rates. His 1060 is min spec for Rift and very comparable with the GTX 970
I never got any motion sickness when I played.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:14 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post None of that happened!

Lol it 100% did! You were playing the carnival game and you lowered the quality to get better frames.
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Corey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:15 am

Tyler wrote:
Corey wrote:Source of the post None of that happened!

Lol it 100% did! You were playing the carnival game and you lowered the quality to get better frames.
I don't remember that at all
bmyoungs

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:15 am

I'm living by my philosophy of "if it's this price once it will be this price again eventually" I nearly bought it in sleep deprived delerium this morning but we need new blinds sigh.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:16 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post I never got any motion sickness when I played.

Corey gets motion sickness from some FPS games. He turned down the quality and it jumped the frames up and he had no issues.

He probably doesn't remember it because he changed the quality within 45 seconds of putting it on.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:17 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I nearly bought it in sleep deprived delerium this morning but we need new blinds sigh.

Who needs blinds when you are wearing a blackout headset?!
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:48 am

I don't want to move my PC every time I want to play VR so I just ordered tons of dongles and HDMI/USB extension cables. Rift is very picky about the cables I've read and if you want to extend the HDMI you need to use a DisplayPort or DVI adapter because those transmit with more power.

I may end up getting a cheap ($25) PCI-E USB 3.0 card for my PC if the onboard USB can't handle all the sensors and cables.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:37 pm

Such an elegant setup. You can't even notice when it's plugged in.

Note one sensor on the TV shelf and one on the end table. Don't worry, I'll pick up the toys first. ImageImage
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:21 am

Little bit better. I taped the HDMI+USB extender together that goes to the headset. These cables will always be used together so it makes sense to keep them connected.

I also added a couple of Velcro ties. (I guess I don't have a picture of this)

I'm trying to find a USB card I can add to the front of my case in an empty disc tray spot. This will make hooking things up much easier.

I also wouldn't be surprised if I bought a 3rd sensor soon.

CrckrJack

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:26 am

I wish you could buy another lighthouse with the vive. You can only use two :(

A third one would be really nice
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I wish you could buy another lighthouse with the vive. You can only use two :(

A third one would be really nice

Are there dead spot in your play area because of your placement?
CrckrJack

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Are there dead spot in your play area because of your placement?

Not really but sometimes they just move a little bit because of the cord tension.

When i first got it and was playing it for like 5 hours a day i would have to move them a little every once in awhile. having the third one just as a backup would be nice
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Not really but sometimes they just move a little bit because of the cord tension.

CrckrJack

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:31 am

that might work

Return to “Video Games”