Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Oculus Rift + Touch

Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:37 am

On the heels of a temporary $200 price cut, today Facebook’s Oculus has announced that the Rift and Touch will be receiving a permanent $100 price cut, bringing the bundled price of the virtual reality system down to $499 once the summer sale it over. The company has also announced that it will now be bundling the two products together in a single package.

1) It would be nice to have everything in one box. It's going to be a PITA when I bring it places
2) Since the price is going up to $500 you might as well buy it now for $400 if you're on the fence...bmyoungs.
3) Doesn't look like it will include the Xbox One controller/dongle or Rift Remote

bmyoungs

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Tyler wrote:On the heels of a temporary $200 price cut, today Facebook’s Oculus has announced that the Rift and Touch will be receiving a permanent $100 price cut, bringing the bundled price of the virtual reality system down to $499 once the summer sale it over. The company has also announced that it will now be bundling the two products together in a single package.

1) It would be nice to have everything in one box. It's going to be a PITA when I bring it places
2) Since the price is going up to $500 you might as well buy it now for $400 if you're on the fence...bmyoungs.
3) Doesn't look like it will include the Xbox One controller/dongle or Rift Remote

I'm over it for now. I wouldn't even have time to get it set up let alone play it. It will go on sale over Christmas

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Re: Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Tyler wrote:I'm trying to find a USB card I can add to the front of my case in an empty disc tray spot. This will make hooking things up much easier.

I pulled the trigger on a PCI-E USB card. My motherboard doesn't have enough juice it seems to power all of the sensors, extension cables, and the other stuff I have plugged into my computer via USB (headset, speakers, webcam, wireless mouse)
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 am

Got my USB card yesterday. It seems to have fixed all of my tracking issues. Was an easy install.

I get some areas of bad tracking when my hands are near the ground. To fix this I think mounting the sensors higher would be more beneficial than a 3rd tracker, but that isn't easy to achieve.
Tag

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tag » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:46 pm

rift sux team HTC
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Tag wrote:rift sux team HTC

Pft.... $800 vs $400 for almost identical tech.
Tag

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tag » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:16 pm

i was over at bennys, not my own like you thought to rusty or something!

i dont know anything other than VR is fun
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Tag wrote:i was over at bennys, not my own like you thought to rusty or something!

i dont know anything other than VR is fun

I'm teasing. I know it was Benny's. I'm glad Benny bought that. I have borrowed it a couple of times and used it to introduce VR to a lot of people
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:23 pm

Made some simple wall mounts tonight for the sensors. Tracking has improved a lot because of it. I may paint them over the weekend to match the wall. We'll have to see what Jocelyn thinks of them when she sees them...

I will leave the far corner one up all the time, but have the cord tucked away and not plugged into the PC. I will remove the closet sensor from the mount because that cord is in the way and Evie would pull it down.

The poster 3M stuff is much stronger than I was hoping for. Used 1 piece on 1 sensor and 2 on the other.

Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:48 am

I posted this picture to r/oculus to show off my simple mounts. Numerous people said my TV is going to get broken once I get into a real Echo Arena match.
Corey
Site Admin

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Corey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:20 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I posted this picture to r/oculus to show off my simple mounts. Numerous people said my TV is going to get broken once I get into a real Echo Arena match.

Time to dedicate the spare bedroom to VR!
wags83

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby wags83 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:34 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post I posted this picture to r/oculus to show off my simple mounts. Numerous people said my TV is going to get broken once I get into a real Echo Arena match.

Time to dedicate the spare bedroom to VR!

Yes! Paint all the walls black and install LED lights in a cool design throughout so it's really futuristic-y. And then a pedestal in the middle of the room holds the headset and hand controls but it retracts into the floor once you're ready to play.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:29 pm

It was shipped a few days late, but Corey and I get our headsets from Amazon on Monday. This is the old SKU that comes with the Xbox controller. Our Touch controllers will probably be another week.

I need to return my Best Buy unit on Monday because the return window is closing. Hopefully Corey and I can find some good Xbox controlled games to hold us over for a week
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:43 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey and I get our headsets from Amazon on Monday

Today is the day. I also get EVEN MORE CABLES in the mail. I'm embarrassed by how many cables, dongles, couplers, adapters I've bought because of the Rift.

I had a combination that was working well, but then it started getting glitchy on me. Corey will save himself a lot of hassle if his headset/sensors can reach to his computer without the need of extensions. However, I am finding the sensors are the easiest thing to extend...as long as your on board USB 3.0 slots are powerful enough, if not, you need to buy a $27 USB card.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:40 am

Best Buy units were successfully returned today without an issue. She asked if there was an issue or if it made me motion sick. I said nope and may have blamed the return on the ol' ball and chain.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:17 am

Corey and I played for the first time together last night, it was a blast. We did Rec Room and BigScreen (I'll post in those threads about our experiences).

Corey/Crckrjack, what would be a bigger improvement to you, increase resolution/pixel density or larger FOV?

Technical stuff that no one cares about, but maybe Corey might....
I think I have most of the kinks worked out on my setup. I finally have a combination of HDMI cable, HDMI Repeater, USB cable, and DVI to HDMI dongle that allows me to extend my headset cabling an additional 10ft. I was using this male/female HDMI but it wouldn't work for extended periods of time and Robo Recall would always break the display. Playing that game will be the true test if my new configuration works or not.

It causes a huge rat nest when I have the 10ft HDMI/USB cable plus the 2x 16foot active USB cables (for sensors) all wrapped up on top of my PC when I'm not playing. I could unplug everything, but it is a pain to plug all of that stuff back into the read of the computer case when the tower is tucked away in the corner. I thought I was being clever and ordered these 3ft USB cables (same brand as the other cables I am using). I had these plugged into my new USB card and routed to the front of my case. I was hoping I could simply plug in the 16ft extension cables to them when I wanted to play and unplug/store the long cables when I wasn't using VR. Unfortunately adding that extra cable made the sensors made and my tracking went to complete crap. I guess I'll just live with the rat nest (I'll post a pic later of it). It's odd that Sensor >16foot active>3 foot passive>PC breaks the sensor, but snesor>16foot actice>16foot active>PC works okay for my far sensor.
CrckrJack

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:28 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey/Crckrjack, what would be a bigger improvement to you, increase resolution/pixel density or larger FOV?

Neither of these are an issue for me. I think the resolution inside is perfectly fine and the FOV seems natural to me.

One thing I would want is 100% wireless headset.
Tyler
Owner

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:52 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Neither of these are an issue for me. I think the resolution inside is perfectly fine and the FOV seems natural to me.

I thought the resolution was good enough, but its limitations were brought to light in BigScreen.

I agree that FOV isn't a big concern for me. I read the Rift has a bigger "sweet spot" for the lens but the Vive has a slightly bigger FOV. Some companies are experimenting with FOV and eye tracking.

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post One thing I would want is 100% wireless headset.

Since my play space is small this isn't a huge factor. Yes, I wouldn't have wasted all that time/money/energy on figuring out extension cables, but once it is up and running the cable isn't a huge deal. I am sure if I tried the wireless add-on (that is going to be available for Rift and Vive in the US in a few months) I would never want to go back to the corded option.
CrckrJack

Oculus Rift + Touch

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post but once it is up and running the cable isn't a huge deal.

it's also not an issue for me at all either, i am more worried about guests that think they can move anywhere and end up yanking on all of the cords.

Or the dogs tripping on them.

Mostly the dogs.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:18 am

Corey inspired me to do this. I was just removing the sensor when not in use before. Jocelyn isn't sold on it yet

Return to “Video Games”