Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:42 am

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/26/1341 ... nced-price

Microsoft said that the headsets will start at $299 and will include inside-out tracking sensors, obviating the need for external cameras or laser systems like those on the current Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, and Acer are all listed as partners.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:18 am

I wonder if this is the headset the new Xbox will use since they announced VR for that awhile ago.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:09 am

Oh damn the sensors in the VR will be nice.

I didn't like all the setup that you had to do with whatever we used at your place, Tyler.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:14 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Oh damn the sensors in the VR will be nice.

I didn't like all the setup that you had to do with whatever we used at your place, Tyler.

I am not sold on the inside out tracking. Microsoft doesn't talk about hand controls.

The Vive has a lot of hardware, but setting up the tracking stations is super simple
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:16 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the postMicrosoft doesn't talk about hand controls.

This is concerning. I don't understand how it would even be fun without hand controls.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post The Vive has a lot of hardware, but setting up the tracking stations is super simple

Sure but it takes up space. Which isn't the end of the world, you are right. But it is more to the package versus not having them at all.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:24 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Sure but it takes up space. Which isn't the end of the world, you are right. But it is more to the package versus not having them at all.

I think some/a lot people actually mount them to the walls, that would be slick. Domontonoto, what do you do with your light houses? The one I borrowed had them on tri-pod stands that set up in seconds.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:37 am

I'm with you guys on hand controls. This would be far less fun if it was just a headset and Xbox controller.
Donomoto

Postby Donomoto » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:54 am

Tyler wrote:I think some/a lot people actually mount them to the walls, that would be slick. Domontonoto, what do you do with your light houses? The one I borrowed had them on tri-pod stands that set up in seconds.

I have them screwed into the upper corners of my living room. I've been considering getting the tripods so that I could move from room to room after Baby is born, but I haven't yet. The one issue I found with this is if there are things hanging in the middle of the room between the sensors, I had to run the sync wire between the two light houses.
tylersucks

Postby tylersucks » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:48 am

Good to see a lower price point though. Hopefully this will start a trend to bring prices down.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:58 am

More info is suppose to come out in December. We have no idea on specs or if this will even work for games or just for "Microsoft applications"
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:51 am

Min spec for Microsoft VR
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/21/1369 ... imum-specs

4GB of RAM
USB 3.0 port
A graphics card with DirectX 12 support
4 CPU cores, including dual-core processors with hyperthreading

Pretty easy to meet those. I think this headset will be for creating things in VR, vs playing games
Tyler
Owner

Re: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:51 am

Confirmed that SteamVR will work with the Microsoft hesdsets. Big news considering the cheap prices some of these will launch at later this year

Dell also just announced a headset. A lot of these Microsoft units will do tracking without wall sensors. No clue how accurate that will be. How can that stop you from running into things?!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 am

Less than 1 year since the original Microsoft announcement and now the page is live with 5 headsets built from a number of Microsoft partners. Will be interesting to hear how they all compare against each other.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/c ... tyheadsets
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:15 am

Perfect timing. Will watch/listen to later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JjiReFuQhs
Tyler
Owner

Re: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:53 am

Tested guys didn't try the Samsung one, but they said the cheaper Microsoft headsets have noticeably better resolution. They said the hand tracking is great, but fear it might look weird in social games. Still too early to say if you should buy this over a Rift or Vive.

I still haven't heard anything about inside out tracking for the room. Does it know where your wall and couch is? I assume you could hit a wall beside you if you weren't looking at it and nothing would warn you
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 am

I think these are officially out now. Excited to read reviews and might stop at the Microsoft store to see if they have any set up to demo.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:43 pm

We spent a couple hours at the mall yesterday and I went by the Microsoft kiosk/store thing at least 3 times to look at the Microsoft headsets. I had Evie with me at the time so I knew I couldn't demo them until Jocelyn took her, but I still wanted to talk to the employees about their thoughts vs Rift since they had both demos going. None of the times I went by did an employee even look my way. I was hoping to talk to them and come back later to try it out, but none of it happened.

I see Microsoft is having $100 off all the headsets for Black Friday. The Samsung one is still the only one that interests me, but it isn't out yet or on display. I heard the screen is way better than Rift, but the controllers are not.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Tyler wrote:We spent a couple hours at the mall yesterday and I went by the Microsoft kiosk/store thing at least 3 times to look at the Microsoft headsets. I had Evie with me at the time so I knew I couldn't demo them until Jocelyn took her, but I still wanted to talk to the employees about their thoughts vs Rift since they had both demos going. None of the times I went by did an employee even look my way. I was hoping to talk to them and come back later to try it out, but none of it happened.

I see Microsoft is having $100 off all the headsets for Black Friday. The Samsung one is still the only one that interests me, but it isn't out yet or on display. I heard the screen is way better than Rift, but the controllers are not.
The screen is the least of my concerns, tracking and hands are more important. If the screen is better but the headset gets warmer is also a big concern for me. Mine gets mildly uncomfortable after an hour

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Return to “Video Games”