Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Delivery changed to Saturday! That would be great.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:31 pm

On track to get here tomorrow.

I am selling my Rift to our very own Kyle. I'm happy I found a "local" buyer for it.

I am also still winning a 2nd Samsung Odyssey on eBay. I hope I get outbid, but if I don't I will win it for a cheaper amount than I bought the first one for.
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Tyler wrote:On track to get here tomorrow.

I am selling my Rift to our very own Kyle. I'm happy I found a "local" buyer for it.

I am also still winning a 2nd Samsung Odyssey on eBay. I hope I get outbid, but if I don't I will win it for a cheaper amount than I bought the first one for.
Lol you'd have 4 VR headsets if everything goes wrong

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:48 pm

I could flip the 2nd Samsung one easily if I won it for $320.

I use my Oculus Go quite a bit for media and some fun controller games.

It will be sad boxing up the Rift this Sunday for Kyle.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Still expected to come today. I don't think it will....
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: RE: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:01 am

Tyler wrote:Still expected to come today. I don't think it will....
Status this morning is basically USPS throwing their hands up in the air and saying they don't know where the package is or when it will get here.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:53 pm

It happened, I won the 2nd. 2 weeks ago I couldn't find any for under $250 so I jumped at a buy it now at $250. Now I somehow win a 2nd for $220. I'll find someone to buy it.
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:03 am

Tyler wrote:It happened, I won the 2nd. 2 weeks ago I couldn't find any for under $250 so I jumped at a buy it now at $250. Now I somehow win a 2nd for $220. I'll find someone to buy it.
What are your thoughts on the quality compared to rift? I'd consider swapping and selling my rift also since I always have tracking issues

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:23 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post What are your thoughts on the quality compared to rift? I'd consider swapping and selling my rift also since I always have tracking issues

Haven't gotten it yet. Coming in the next hour or so based on website.

Do you have issues because you get turned around and then the 2 front sensors lose you? You should just add a 3rd sensor, that setup will be better than the Windows MR inside out tracking. I've read/heard that Windows is 95% okay, but if you need to do something behind your back it may not work.
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4637
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post What are your thoughts on the quality compared to rift? I'd consider swapping and selling my rift also since I always have tracking issues

Haven't gotten it yet. Coming in the next hour or so based on website.

Do you have issues because you get turned around and then the 2 front sensors lose you? You should just add a 3rd sensor, that setup will be better than the Windows MR inside out tracking. I've read/heard that Windows is 95% okay, but if you need to do something behind your back it may not work.
That's my primary issue but I also would not be upset if I didn't have to worry about fixing the sensors every time there was an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Once I wall mounted all 3 of mine they were rock solid. Haven't messed with settings or anything for months.


We'll see how well the Windows stuff works. My dad needs to retrace his room all the time, but that could also just be him doing something wrong.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Only spent 10 minutes with it setting it up before we left for Christmas
-Seems way heavier than Rift, but don't notice it on the head because of the ratchet strap
-These are better than the standard WMR controllers, but are inferior to Rift. Rift is so much better than anything out right now, they just melt in your hand
-I can notice the resolution bump with text, need to play a game to see if it's noticable there. This has the same resolution as the $1400 Vive Pro.
-Took just minutes to set up. Literally less than 5. Takes 30 mins to set up Rift for the first time.
-FOV seems slightly larger. Not sure if it is or if it just sits closer to my face
-No nose gap :(
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:32 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Only spent 10 minutes with it setting it up before we left for Christmas
-Seems way heavier than Rift, but don't notice it on the head because of the ratchet strap
-These are better than the standard WMR controllers, but are inferior to Rift. Rift is so much better than anything out right now, they just melt in your hand
-I can notice the resolution bump with text, need to play a game to see if it's noticeable there. This has the same resolution as the $1400 Vive Pro.
-Took just minutes to set up. Literally less than 5. Takes 30 mins to set up Rift for the first time.
-FOV seems slightly larger. Not sure if it is or if it just sits closer to my face
-No nose gap :(

Corey, do you have anything to add for the Samsung Odyssey after using it for 90 minutes last night?

I think the Samsung also has brighter colors than the Rift.
User avatar
Corey
Site Admin
Posts: 1754
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:09 am
Contact:

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Corey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Only spent 10 minutes with it setting it up before we left for Christmas
-Seems way heavier than Rift, but don't notice it on the head because of the ratchet strap
-These are better than the standard WMR controllers, but are inferior to Rift. Rift is so much better than anything out right now, they just melt in your hand
-I can notice the resolution bump with text, need to play a game to see if it's noticeable there. This has the same resolution as the $1400 Vive Pro.
-Took just minutes to set up. Literally less than 5. Takes 30 mins to set up Rift for the first time.
-FOV seems slightly larger. Not sure if it is or if it just sits closer to my face
-No nose gap :(

Corey, do you have anything to add for the Samsung Odyssey after using it for 90 minutes last night?

I think the Samsung also has brighter colors than the Rift.

Not a ton other than it is definitely more uncomfortable, mostly around the nose area. It basically ever so slightly pinches your nose closed.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 30595
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Tyler » Wed May 22, 2019 5:42 am

Corey, did you supersample your Samsung headset to 140% in SteamVR settings? If not, you aren't getting native resolution
User avatar
Corey
Site Admin
Posts: 1754
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:09 am
Contact:

Microsoft announces new VR headsets for Windows 10, starting at $299

Postby Corey » Wed May 22, 2019 8:11 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey, did you supersample your Samsung headset to 140% in SteamVR settings? If not, you aren't getting native resolution

Let me google that before answering...

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests