Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:12 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Wilkins got for PC, did anyone else buy? How is it Chris? Worth me getting even though I'll play like 3 hours a week max?

Soooo, I love this game. Highly addictive and awesome. It's basically the first game with siege battles and A LOT more to do.

I'm currently at 83% overall completion. I have two story quests left, but waiting to complete everything else before doign it. I imagine I'll be at 100% before the end of the week.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:18 am

I'll probably buy this through CDkeys.com for $50. You've sold me on it
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:48 am

I started this last night (about an hour and that was mostly cut-scenes/prologue) and have some questions about the leveling systems. Was the first game this complicated and I learned to master it, or does this game introduce tons of new mechanics? You have your character skill tree (pretty standard. 1 point unlocks a skill, and there are variants of that skill you can unlock). However, I feel overwhelmed with the weapons. There are different classes of weapons (sword, dagger, bow, something else), each of those can be swapped out in your inventory, but you can also level up the gear. In addition to levels, each weapon has gems that can be applied and it adds more things?

It now makes sense why Crckr was comparing this game to Assassin's Creed, you can climb virtually any surface in the game without effort and jump from any height without getting hurt - I didn't remember either of these things until I started playing again.

Seems like Act 1 is going to take place in a city. That's a fun change of scenery since the first game was almost all out in the open with the exception of small villages or forts.

I'm excited to keep playing, I was just taken back by how deep the game goes.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:22 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I started this last night (about an hour and that was mostly cut-scenes/prologue) and have some questions about the leveling systems. Was the first game this complicated and I learned to master it, or does this game introduce tons of new mechanics? You have your character skill tree (pretty standard. 1 point unlocks a skill, and there are variants of that skill you can unlock). However, I feel overwhelmed with the weapons. There are different classes of weapons (sword, dagger, bow, something else), each of those can be swapped out in your inventory, but you can also level up the gear. In addition to levels, each weapon has gems that can be applied and it adds more things?

The skills get less complicated as you go. In the beginning, you level up super fast so you just do a grab of all the new skills. Each new skill gets a bonus later. Arrow causes poison/frost/fire or something like that. Dagger = stealth. Bow/Hammer is your ranged and sword is default. Cloak/Armor is just adding to health. You eventually get a ring that adds to focus. Usually, you just pick the highest level thing and wear it until another high level comes along.

Legendary/epic gear can be leveled multiple times, so if it starts lower, if you complete the challenges, they level and give you some cool perks.

Leveling up the gear just happens when you complete a task like....kill a dazed captain or something.

Gems just equip in the gear. Red = add damage, green = add health etc. It's pretty simple later, its just that they throw so much at you.

Also, just hit 91%
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:46 am

Lol the game throws a lot at you and so did your post. I know I'll figure it all out after a few hours of play, it just seemed like they introduced so much within the first 45 minutes of the game.

There are a lot of VR titles I want to finish, but I'm going to enjoy playing this when I don't want to suit up.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:40 pm

The first time I died (act 1) I got brought outside of the city to an outpost. I think the Captain that killed me is now here. Do I need to clear this entire outpost or is there a way back into the city?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post The first time I died (act 1) I got brought outside of the city to an outpost. I think the Captain that killed me is now here. Do I need to clear this entire outpost or is there a way back into the city?

You should be able to just walk back to where you are. Hit M on the menu and you'll see where you at. If you are outside where you were before, there should be an exit marked by a diamond. (you dont need to clear it). Sometimes it just wont let you fast travel if there are people aroun.d
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:49 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post If you are outside where you were before, there should be an exit marked by a diamond. (you dont need to clear it)

Good to know. I'll just sneak over the diamond and fast travel. I was spending like 20 minutes trying to clear the whole area and then someone sounded the alarm.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:56 pm

This game must be 100+ hours if you complete everything. I feel like I have played a lot but the progress is barely moving.

I still dont understand the point of gems, switching weapons, rare loot, or weapon challenges.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:11 pm

I think I probably put in 50 to 60 for 100%

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Postby Tyler » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:13 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:I think I probably put in 50 to 60 for 100%

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I'm only at like 35% for the city and moving onto the next area of the bad guy huge camp. Do you eventually kill all captains in the city? Seems like they are never ending. I gave up trying to progress more in the city and moved on
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:07 am

I snuck 30 mins in last night.
Overall - 11%
First city - 25%
Orc camp level - 33%

The hardest boss I've played is a level 22 troll. He ambushed me as I was fighting 3 other bosses. I play really conservatively, healed often, and beat them all without dying. I usually just run around and lure them next to things I can explode or drop near them.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:28 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I snuck 30 mins in last night.
Overall - 11%
First city - 25%
Orc camp level - 33%

The hardest boss I've played is a level 22 troll. He ambushed me as I was fighting 3 other bosses. I play really conservatively, healed often, and beat them all without dying. I usually just run around and lure them next to things I can explode or drop near them.

Eventually, conservatively is the only way to play, so its good to get that mindset in.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:37 pm

17% overall. I feel like I haven't done much with the story, just been killing captains and war chiefs. Only have the 2 levels unlocked. Still act 1
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post 17% overall. I feel like I haven't done much with the story, just been killing captains and war chiefs. Only have the 2 levels unlocked. Still act 1

You'll start unlocking them faster and faster. Story progresses super fast.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:38 am

I played for like 2 hours over the weekend and just went around doing non-story stuff. Listening to podcast + captain battles = perfect combination since nothing important is being said. I actually get mad when a captain has to monologue before a fight.

Killing like 10+ captains didn't progress overall percentage at all. Is it impossible to kill all the captains in a region and they just spawn forever making it pointless for progression?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:41 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I played for like 2 hours over the weekend and just went around doing non-story stuff. Listening to podcast + captain battles = perfect combination since nothing important is being said. I actually get mad when a captain has to monologue before a fight.

Killing like 10+ captains didn't progress overall percentage at all. Is it impossible to kill all the captains in a region and they just spawn forever making it pointless for progression?

Captain killing is pointless, unless you are trying for loot drops. Captains have an infinite spawn rate and you will never run out. I actually dominated ALL the captains in a region, and you still just get the random ones.

The monologues are infuriating after awhile.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks. I'll focus on the story and stop going after captains. I didn't remember that from the first one.

I must not have dominate unlocked yet.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Thanks. I'll focus on the story and stop going after captains. I didn't remember that from the first one.

I must not have dominate unlocked yet.

It doesn't happen for a bit. Run through the Gondor quests (those aren't the final storyline) and I think you get it after that.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 pm

I finished act 1. Act 2 starts with you learning the dominate trait and then n the jungle/green map

Return to “Video Games”