Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Star Wars: Battlefront II

Tyler
Owner

Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 am

Someone on Reddit summed it up, idk how true it is.
$70 base game
90% of characters locked behind 40 hours of grinding
$30 to unlock characters early
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Someone on Reddit summed it up, idk how true it is.
$70 base game

A few things I've learned about Reddit. They are usually a very vocal minority. Not saying their disgust is unwarranted. And they tend to over-exaggerate.

Base game on target.com is $60. I suppose if you add tax and shipping, then it's around $70.
90% of characters are probably locked behind grinding, but it's probably a tiered system. You know like Call of Duty did/does with guns.
Can't comment on the $30 for "early access" or "pay-to-win" or whatever you want to call it.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I saw EA removed the refund button from their customer portal. Great damage control...

EA is greedy AF. If you want to ruin a game series... have EA take it over.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Someone on Reddit summed it up, idk how true it is.
$70 base game

Evidently, the 90% of characters being locked is truth... takes hours upon hours of play to open them up. To respond the most downvoted post ever.. EA lowered the cost of opening the characters by 75%.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:31 pm

So it's now $7.50 to unlock vs playing 30 hrs? I assume that makes people madder?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Unlocking everything requires 4,500 hours or $2,100
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Tyler wrote:Unlocking everything requires 4,500 hours or $2,100
Seems like a reasonable amount of time. Should get a good sense of accomplishment from that

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 pm

well looks like EA made a change to their game
https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battl ... 0892423400
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post well looks like EA made a change to their game
https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battl ... 0892423400

Temporarily, until they 'assess' it. It';ll go back again.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:20 am

At last they responded to the feedback? Will be interesting to see what they change in the long run.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:05 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Temporarily, until they 'assess' it. It';ll go back again.

At least they listened and responded in a manner that isn't "tough, deal with it nerds!" It means they heard complaints and did something with those complaints.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post At last they responded to the feedback? Will be interesting to see what they change in the long run.

It will be interesting to see what plays out. Not interesting enough for me to pay attention to anything unless I see it on a twitter/facebook timeline.
Last edited by DannyFanny on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:07 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Temporarily, until they 'assess' it. It';ll go back again.

At least they listened and responded in a manner that is "tough, deal with it nerds!" It means they heard complaints and did something with those complaints.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post At last they responded to the feedback? Will be interesting to see what they change in the long run.

It will be interesting to see what plays out. Not interesting enough for me to pay attention to anything unless I see it on a twitter/facebook timeline.

Its definitely refreshing to see a company pay attention, but after seeing their responses from their AMA, they basically avoided all questions and answered with 'we'll see'. They definitely have no plans to eliminate the boxes completely (and they shouldn't), but hopefully their revamp of the system is a little more reasonable.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:18 pm

wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Lol
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:59 pm

I've seen some posts on reddit that plausibly contend that EA's backtracking has all been basically a pre-planned part of their marketing strategy -- a means of maximizing revenue and extracting as much as possible from people who will tolerate the greedier incarnation of the business model, while containing and blunting criticism by showing how they're responsive to the concerns so as to not risk offending anyone in the mainstream. It sounds rather conspiratorial but there's really not to believe that EA is that cynical.

And personally, I do think loot boxes should be removed from the game [edit: or at least, the option to buy them for real money should be removed, forever]. They're a blight on the industry. Games are designed to be less fun (with more grind) so people feel compelled to buy loot boxes, which themselves exploit the same quirks of human psychology that make gambling so addictive for some people.

It's gotten to the point where when I see footage of a new game that looks awesome, I'm only a excited for a moment before the feeling of apprehension sets in I ask the question, "What's the business model?"
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Great as always. The visuals (when not lagging) look so good in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTBu4tigSDo
kyle

Postby kyle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:14 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Great as always. The visuals (when not lagging) look so good in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTBu4tigSDo

God damn i love Dunkey.

He makes a lot of valid points though. I had similar issues when playing the beta for this game, and yet i did still enjoy it. Dice did a great job getting the atmosphere right, the sound effects, graphics, environment, etc. It's just there are too many blatant flaws that the game is not worth 60 dollars.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am

I had such high hopes for this franchise. When they launched the first Battlefront, I was like... look at this, its amazing. But the campaign is non-existant. I was bored witht he game in 30 min. With Battlefront 2, I was hoping they would fix it... but after watching this video... I would say, nothing is fixed and the game is horrible. Makes me sad.

Return to “Video Games”