Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Tyler
Owner

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 am

A lot of you have seen this played at my house, but I'll give a quick recap.

You play as your avatar and it's like hanging out at the local YMCA. It's a very social game and you can walk up to anyone and start talking to them. In the game you have a dorm room where (where you can change your appearance), the main lobby area (where you could ask strangers to play a game), and the actual games. The games include things like paintball, dodgeball, frisbee golf, pictionary, theater events, Quest, etc.

I want to talk about Quest since I played it with Crckrjack and Kath last night. There are 2 different options: Quest for the Golden Trophy (medieval) and Rise of Jumbotron (futuristic). Medieval has you using bows/arrows and sword/shield, whereas the futuristic one has a variety of blasters (shotgun, sniper, AR, pistol). Groups up to 4 play through varies levels until they get to the boss. If you get downed you were limited to only your physical space to move (no teleportation) and couldn't use your weapon again until someone revived you by giving you a high five. I was playing way too aggressive for my first time and would get downed often. The game ends when you beat the final boss or if all the players are downed.

I thought the entire thing was a blast and playing with people you knew added more to the experience. I think I liked Jumbotron more, but that's probably because we made it all the way to the end. Unfortunately, I was having network issues and wasn't playing when the boss was defeated. The whole play through took 30-40 minutes.

I want to try the theater event next time. On the poster outside the theater it said last nights event was a dinner mystery party, but it was only at certain hours and the room was full by the time I tried.
Tyler
Owner

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 am

I also achieved the most classic dodgeball move ever. I was playing 1v1 dodgeball and had a ball in each hand. I lobbed one into the air that would be easy to catch. While the guy was focusing on that I threw the 2nd ball and nailed him. Being good at throwing is tough so I was really happy with myself.
kyle

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby kyle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:56 am

Paintball is my favorite in rec room. Shield + Sniper = OP
Tyler
Owner

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:10 am

kyle wrote:Source of the post Paintball is my favorite in rec room. Shield + Sniper = OP

I've only seen that one played by HussBuss, I haven't tried it myself. I think it's weird to play paintball, or even dodgeball, when teleporting is the form of transportation. However, dodgeball was fun, I guess it's just something you have to adjust your play style to.
CrckrJack

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:21 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I've only seen that one played by HussBuss, I haven't tried it myself. I think it's weird to play paintball, or even dodgeball, when teleporting is the form of transportation. However, dodgeball was fun, I guess it's just something you have to adjust your play style to.

Paintball is actually really fun, imo.
wags83

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:21 am

I like harassing other people in the game more than the actual games.
Tyler
Owner

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I like harassing other people in the game more than the actual games.

I got on like 15 minutes before Crckrjack and instantly got swarmed by 10 year old kids. I asked one of them how to do something and he said "oh, follow me" and then just led me all around the lobby without actually doing what I asked. He was giggling to himself so hard.

It was fun heckling people in dodgeball and screaming at your teammates in Quest. Our best player didn't talk at all and it was hilarious because he was 100% carrying the team and we were always yelling at him to revive us.
wags83

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby wags83 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:25 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I asked one of them how to do something and he said "oh, follow me" and then just led me all around the lobby without actually doing what I asked.

That's actually hilarious.
Tyler
Owner

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:30 am

Corey and I played this last night and had a lot of fun. The UI for this game is so slick. Your avatar has a watch on in the game and if you hold your arm up to see it a UI pops up with options. From here you can add your friends to the game. Once you're in the same lobby area you fist bump to create a party. Once in a party it is easy to bring each other to new games.

We started off by messing around in the main lobby. For those that haven't played, the lobby is a larger open building with a basketball hoop, table tennis, random balls to throw, and other objects to interact with. When you want to play a game you walk through a door labeled with the game. From the lobby we did The Lounge, which I had never done before.

The lounge was made up of a couple of different rooms. Stage/theater where you could pick up a mic and talk into it, that projected your voice throughout the rooms. Poker/blackjack room. Darts/ping pong. Conference room with marker boards you could use. Etc etc. People were taking pieces of paper and using the markers to write messages on them and sticking it onto people without them knowing. Incredible juvenile, but it was absolutely hilarious. It's great because during all of this you can talk to anyone around you. We had a lot of fun just screwing around with people in that area. Everyone seemed pretty laid back and could take a joke. A few people were dead set on reporting/kicking players who were under 13.

After The Lounge we played both Quests, but didn't make it very far in either of them. Corey team killed me so many times that it auto muted him and hid him from the game. It took us awhile to resolve that.

We also did a few games of dodgeball. Throwing the dodgeball is so hard, but Corey and I found that we both could throw random things from the sidelines once we were out with almost exact aim. Doesn't make any sense.

It is crazy this is a free game. This game alone almost makes VR worth it. I want to know how the developers get paid.
Tyler
Owner

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:51 am

Played a game of Frisbee golf and Corey figured out he could cheat. He stood at the goal and would knock my discs out of the air. He was once nice though and knocked down a different disc that was going to go over the goal and into the water.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Corey and I hopped into Rec Room after playing Dead and Buried for a bit. We got our farthest in Quest Jumbotron. I'm guessing just under halfway. I was 4x the score of the other players so I felt pretty good even though we lost. The key is to take your time and always have cover.

Whenever we play we also find ourselves messing around in the lobby. We were playing catch with random objects and that turned into keep away when other people wanted to join. Super dumb, but we had fun.

We might her Sportsroom VR. I think it's comparable to Rec Room in that you're in a social space and can play games. It's $20 though!
Tyler
Owner

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:42 am

I heard on the most recent Tested podcast that a 3rd Quest is coming. Curse of the Crimson Brew. Seems to be similar to the first one.
CrckrJack

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I heard on the most recent Tested podcast that a 3rd Quest is coming. Curse of the Crimson Brew. Seems to be similar to the first one.

Quest is the best imo
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:22 am

Tyler wrote:I heard on the most recent Tested podcast that a 3rd Quest is coming. Curse of the Crimson Brew. Seems to be similar to the first one.
Update is out tomorrow
CrckrJack

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Update is out tomorrow

Oh man! let's play this weekend!!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 am

Not sure I'll be able to squeeze it in this weekend. Maybe Sunday during Evie's nap, unless we see a movie.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:39 pm

We had our first 4 way tonight. Wags, Corey, bmyoungs and me. We were horrible at the new quest. We did better at Jumbotron, but still didn't even get halfway.

I hate playing frisbee golf with all 6'2"+ guys. They kept knocking my frisbee out of the goal. That shouldn't be legal! I think I lost by one stroke and they easily cost me 10+

Dodgeball was okay, but not as fun. Is it even possible to catch a ball?!
wags83

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby wags83 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:11 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post They kept knocking my frisbee out of the goal.

If it makes you feel better, I knocked my hand pretty hard on my ceiling trying to stop a high throw.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 am

It makes me feel a little better....

My dad was playing the Jumbotron quest over the weekend. He was hiding behind cover and tried leaning against the virtual wall. He fell completely to the floor.
bmyoungs

Rec Room (Free VR game)

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 am

I got my hands on my walls and ceiling a lot last night. Might have to move my set up to the living room.

I liked frisbee golf and the second shooting game the new quest was too hard for a noob like me

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Return to “Video Games”