Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Bigscreen (VR)

Tyler
Owner

Bigscreen (VR)

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:40 am

Not technically a game, but I'll post it here anyways.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/45755 ... reen_Beta/

BigScreen is basically turning your desktop into social movie theater experience. You can create rooms and invite friends, or leave it open for random people to join. Inside of the room you can change the environment from a home theater, to a living room, to a giant 100' movie theater screen. Each room allows up to 4 people, but the movie theater environment has NPCs to add to the experience. Once in the environment you can take turns displaying on the big screen and have your own screen in front of you. We hopped around to different rooms last night where people were matching movies together and tv shows.

I have to admit that it was pretty surreal sitting on my couch at home but having it look like I was in a movie theater. The immersive was excellent. Biggest limitation is the resolution of the headset. You can read enough text to get through the menus, but you couldn't do any real computer work in the app.

Brad, this is the VR app that Tested used that one time for the show they recorded in VR.

There are some 18+ rooms that we tried out of curiosity, but won't be doing that again.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Bigscreen (VR)

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 pm

I watched liked 30 minutes of a movie in this app. It was pretty cool. Resolution wasn't the best, but not bad enough to not use it. I only stopped because it's in possible to eat snacks while wearing the headset.
Tyler
Owner

Bigscreen (VR)

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:42 am

I read this morning that the team behind Bigscreen want to open up the theater to 20 players eventually. They can't do more than 20 for legal reasons. If you rent a movie and invite more than 20 people over to watch it you are technically a venue and need to pay licensing fees/royalties. Keeping Bigscreen under 20 keeps the heat off of the devs when users share their Netflix stream with people.
Tyler
Owner

Bigscreen (VR)

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:09 am

Like I said in the GoT thread, 3 of us watched that together last night in Bigscreen. I had some connection issues towards the end, but otherwise it was pretty slick. The resolution/upload of the screen isn't the best, but it didn't matter for the majority of the screens.

The biggest issue with everything was that the social aspect was more entertaining than parts of the episode, and it was a really good episode. BigScreen gives you a bunch of tools to use while sitting in your theater chair and we kept playing with those. Maybe after the new-ish of the app wears off it will be easier to focus on a TV/Movie while watching together.

We used the movie theater and home theater rooms. I think I liked the home theater the best.
wags83

Bigscreen (VR)

Postby wags83 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:30 am

It was pretty neat. But yeah, we were too busy messing with each other and the tools that I feel like I missed a bit of the show.

Return to “Video Games”