Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Destiny 2

CrckrJack

Destiny 2

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:07 am

So I am all of the hyped for this game. I am going to be taking the week off to play it with a few buddies from WoW that are going to be playing.

Apparently it's loads better than the first one. Console came out last week and the PC version comes out near the end of October. I am super pumped for it.

I played the beta a couple of weeks ago and it felt like Halo with more stuff going on, which makes sense because it was made by Bungie.

Anyone on here going to be playing it?
Tyler
Owner

Re: Destiny 2

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:20 am

Feddersen (who isn't on CPT plays it on Xbox). Danny has posted about it quite a bit too, but I think he watches streams more than he plays?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Destiny 2

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:01 pm

I watch more streams because I watch streams at work. I thoroughly enjoy this game more than the first one. There are a few gripes I have but at this point they might be more nitpicky than actual problems.
CrckrJack

Destiny 2

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I watch more streams because I watch streams at work. I thoroughly enjoy this game more than the first one. There are a few gripes I have but at this point they might be more nitpicky than actual problems.

It looks really fun
kyle

Destiny 2

Postby kyle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:17 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I watch more streams because I watch streams at work. I thoroughly enjoy this game more than the first one. There are a few gripes I have but at this point they might be more nitpicky than actual problems.

It looks really fun

I'm on the edge. I kind of want to get it for PC because i LOVED the Halo series and i'm a huge halo lore buff. However when i played the beta i wasn't really wowed.... I never did get to play the first one due to lack of console lol.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 am

Destiny 1 was never on PC?
CrckrJack

Destiny 2

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

I don't know.

I've been watching streams lately and the raid looks pretty awesome. I think I will like it. The gearing structure seems pretty cool and hopefully it's more intuitive once you play around with it. half of the time i don't understand what streamers are doing with their items when they infuse it and stuff.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Destiny 2

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:56 am

The gear leveling in this game is odd compared to the first game. Once you understand it, it's pretty simple. The raid is much more mechanic based compared to most of the D1 raids. I think this is largely due to the change in the weapon system. I have yet to play the raid though.

Kyle, Destiny is super rich with lore. Really fascinating things. You can get into rabbit holes just digging into the lore. Multiple podcasts and youtube channels are dedicated to the lore alone.

Tyler, Destiny 1 was only on consoles.
kyle

Destiny 2

Postby kyle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:58 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I don't know.

I've been watching streams lately and the raid looks pretty awesome. I think I will like it. The gearing structure seems pretty cool and hopefully it's more intuitive once you play around with it. half of the time i don't understand what streamers are doing with their items when they infuse it and stuff.

Well that's good to hear! In the beta i think everyone just got full epics or w/e so u didn't get to manage your gear much. Also the combat seemed a little boring because your abilities have like 30 second CD's but i suppose the game is meant to be about the gun play. I did watch some of the main story and it does look very intriguing plus the soundtrack is phenomenal so I am considering picking the game up...

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post The gear leveling in this game is odd compared to the first game. Once you understand it, it's pretty simple. The raid is much more mechanic based compared to most of the D1 raids. I think this is largely due to the change in the weapon system. I have yet to play the raid though.

Kyle, Destiny is super rich with lore. Really fascinating things. You can get into rabbit holes just digging into the lore. Multiple podcasts and youtube channels are dedicated to the lore alone.

Tyler, Destiny 1 was only on consoles.

Well if the raid bosses are complex that's exciting because i loved raiding in WoW for that reason alone. Takes co ordination and timing. Lots of teamwork and skill. If destiny 2 is like this then maybe i will enjoy it :)
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Destiny 2

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:24 am

kyle wrote:Source of the post Also the combat seemed a little boring because your abilities have like 30 second CD's but i suppose the game is meant to be about the gun play. I did watch some of the main story and it does look very intriguing plus the soundtrack is phenomenal so I am considering picking the game up..

At the end of D1's lifespan, many kills were thanks to abilities. Stick grenades were OHKs with ridiculous magnetism. Melee abilities were much stronger. It was easy to body then melee someone because of movement speeds. The game has slowed down, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I do think Bungie over-corrected some. Grenade/melee CDs are closer to 90 seconds, and Supers (Ultimates) are around the 5 minute range. Gun play feels good, but it is all about the teamshot over the 1v1s. This is all in relation to PvP except the CDs. That affects both PvP and PvE.

I honestly thought the story was pretty mediocre. Very basic plot with cliche dialogue. It is, however, a step in the right direction. Destiny 1's story became a meme, a joke among the community. Soundtrack is excellent.
CrckrJack

Destiny 2

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:50 am

Kyle you should check out someone streaming the raid. the final boss fight looks easy compared to most raid bosses in wow, but still difficult. it won't take you anywhere near 100-150 wipes to kill the final boss like it did in wow, but it's still mechanically demanding. I think it will be a lot easier than progression kills in wow.

PvP looks pretty interesting. It will be fun with a group.
kyle

Destiny 2

Postby kyle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:43 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Kyle you should check out someone streaming the raid. the final boss fight looks easy compared to most raid bosses in wow, but still difficult. it won't take you anywhere near 100-150 wipes to kill the final boss like it did in wow, but it's still mechanically demanding. I think it will be a lot easier than progression kills in wow.

PvP looks pretty interesting. It will be fun with a group.

Cool i will have to check out the raid content. And yeah a game like this is usually more fun with friends :D
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 am

My podcast guy talked a bit about this game. He said it's a lot less grinding than the first one, but he misses that. Also said there are only 2 options for online - casual and ranked. Said the ranked game types don't exist in casual so no way to practice before jumping in.

Crckrjack, how many hours did you get in over the weekend?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Destiny 2

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:46 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Also said there are only 2 options for online - casual and ranked. Said the ranked game types don't exist in casual so no way to practice before jumping in.

Casual and ranked would be a terrible description of the PvP playlists. Even the in-game playlists, Quickplay and Competitive, titles are poor descriptors. The game doesn't have any ranking system for PvP. Calling a game playlist competitive implies a ranking system, whereas the playlist is just more tactical and strategic.

Quickplay game modes:
Clash (Team Deathmatch) - kill your enemies to win
Control (Domination) - Hold zones and control the map. More zones you have the more points you are awarded per kill
Supremacy (Kill-confirmed) - Kill enemies and pick up their crests to gain points. This game moves too slowly for a QP playlist

Competitive game modes:
Countdown (Search and Destroy) - Plant/Defuse bombs or eliminate the enemy team to win. Best of 11 so first team to win six rounds.
Survival (Elimination) - Each team has 8 revives, team with players left standing win. Best of 9? First team to win five rounds?
Trials of the Nine - This isn't in a Comp. playlist. It's a specific PvP event during the weekends. It's the closest thing to ranked right now. It's one of the Comp game modes on specific map for the weekend. Players' load-outs are locked until the game is over. You are presented with a passage for this "playlist." You get seven wins and three losses before having to refresh/restart the passage. You get "exclusive" gear at 3,5,and 7 wins with an extra gear drop if you make it to seven wins without losing a game, Flawless. If you pop in the D2 Twitch directory Fri-Mon, then this what you will probably see the majority of streamers playing.

In order to fully unlock PvP you must play two matches of each playlists. The problem is the game mode is random, so you might not experience every game mode while unlocking PvP. Other problems include only five game modes, no Free-For-All game mode, and no mercenaries/lone-wolf playlist. It's not uncommon to play against teams of 3 or 4 while solo queuing.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for the correction Danny, I knew I was using the wrong names but couldn't remember what he said.
bmyoungs

Destiny 2

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:39 am

I played destiny 1 for a bit. I just never got invested enough and lost interest when I was not able to kill things because I was so weak.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
CrckrJack

Destiny 2

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Crckrjack, how many hours did you get in over the weekend?

I think I got around 15-20 hours of playtime since i've rented it.

Super fun for me. I have read that at the end of the game there's not too much to do, but I think I am okay with that. I don't want a super endless grind game like WoW was. I like the idea that you reach 305 power and then you are mostly done. Leaves me plenty of time to do other things.

I get that there are a lot of hardcore players that want to do endgame things for forever, but that's not where I am anymore.
Tyler
Owner

Destiny 2

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:03 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I am going to be taking the week off to play it with a few buddies from WoW that are going to be playing.

Work today and start playing it tonight at midnight with the rest of the week off?
CrckrJack

Destiny 2

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Drops at noon tomorrow :(. Yes I have the rest of the week off. super pumped for it.
kyle

Destiny 2

Postby kyle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Yeah i'll pick it up tomorrow and give it a go

Return to “Video Games”