Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Midnight Releases

Tyler
Owner

Midnight Releases

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 am

Are midnight releases of video games still a thing? What games have you waited for and any special memories about it?

I remember going to a Walmart 45 minutes away the night the Xbox 360 came out with Weaver. It was a school night and we got there around 10. There were people set up in the electronics department with folding chairs and they all gave us the stink eye when we got there. They had clearly been there way longer and were going to be upset if 2 people strolled in near midnight and got one. However, they had very limited supplies and after counting the people in line and asking a worker how many units there were it was determined we wouldn't be getting one and left.

Guitar Hero 2 (or 3), again in high school on a school night and we had to drive nearly an hour to find a 24/7 Walmart. We were expecting a line because this was the height of the GH rage, but nope, not a soul to be found in the game department. We had to find a random employee to go look in the back. They had no idea what the game was, but they were able to find it for us.

Call of Duty. I think I waited for Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops? One of them was at a strip mall Gamestop in college and we waited in the rain for like an hour. The other was at a mall Gamestop and we waited inside for like 2-3 hours. They had some activities set up for people to do in the closed mall.
CrckrJack

Midnight Releases

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:21 am

I stood in line for the Xbox 360. That was an experience. We got there at like 4 or 5 pm I think and stood in line until 11 and then they gave us waivers. Not sure why they would do that. we were already there for so long and there was hardly any time until midnight at that point.

I stood in line for Wrath of the Lich King (WoW) and played that all night. slept at school a lot the next day. lol.

I think i grabbed an NCAA at a midnight release with a buddy of mine.

That might be it. Good times were had. I liked doing that but the appeal of going to a B&M store to wait in line sounds awful nowadays.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Midnight Releases

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:41 am

CrckrJack wrote:
That might be it. Good times were had. I liked doing that but the appeal of going to a B&M store to wait in line sounds awful nowadays.

That's why I'm curious if people still do it. With Amazon you get 20% off when you preorder and get it release day. How much do people value the midnight - 3PM gaming session of a release day game?
CrckrJack

Midnight Releases

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post That's why I'm curious if people still do it. With Amazon you get 20% off when you preorder and get it release day. How much do people value the midnight - 3PM gaming session of a release day game?

I'm doing that with Destiny 2. I also did it with the past two WoW expansions.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Midnight Releases

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:21 am

You buy those on Amazon vs Steam? Digital code sent to you at midnight?
CrckrJack

Midnight Releases

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:07 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post You buy those on Amazon vs Steam? Digital code sent to you at midnight?

I meant the midnight-3pm. I buy them all digitally to play at "midnight" (sometimes it is 2am CST, midnight PST).
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Midnight Releases

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 am

Halo 3 and Skyrim were the two midnight releases I went to.

Halo went to LeMars people were waiting in costumer service when we got there. I still think I got the second game because they had multiple purchasing lines.

Skyrim went to the store to preorder. Waited in line later that to pick up the game.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:31 am

Did I with with you for Halo? September 25, 2007. I'm sure I would have bought it right away.

I think you were with me for the Guitar Hero? For sure Feddersen and maybe Brad or Chris
wags83

Midnight Releases

Postby wags83 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:28 pm

I can't remember what it was for, but I remember driving back from Sioux Center late one night and someone got a flat tire (maybe me with the Bronco?). Was that for a video game?
Tyler
Owner

Midnight Releases

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I can't remember what it was for, but I remember driving back from Sioux Center late one night and someone got a flat tire (maybe me with the Bronco?). Was that for a video game?

LOL! It was for an airsoft gun and BBs. "I really shouldn't be buying this, I need to get new tires for my car" One hour later and we are changing your tire
purple_hayes

Midnight Releases

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:48 pm

the last game I would have waited in line for, overnight, or what have you... would have been Fallout 4. But thank you for preorder and midnight download on Steam. I used to work at Best Buy when game really started flowing on the Playstation and Xbox, so I was able to get a copy the day of, as it went on sale. So Gran Tourismo 2, Maddens, NCAA Football, had it as soon as it went on sale.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:49 pm

Did everyone on CPT use to work at Best Buy?! Hayes, salvo, Tylersucks, wallinguana
wags83

Midnight Releases

Postby wags83 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post I can't remember what it was for, but I remember driving back from Sioux Center late one night and someone got a flat tire (maybe me with the Bronco?). Was that for a video game?

LOL! It was for an airsoft gun and BBs. "I really shouldn't be buying this, I need to get new tires for my car" One hour later and we are changing your tire

Lol, that's right, I couldn't think of what it was. I don't think I ever really went to video game releases because I never had a 360 of my own until college and mostly just played at other people's houses.
CrckrJack

Midnight Releases

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:49 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Did everyone on CPT use to work at Best Buy?! Hayes, salvo, Tylersucks, wallinguana

I wish. back in the day that would have been awesome. In the end i think i had more fun at my jobs i actually got though.
purple_hayes

Midnight Releases

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:38 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Did everyone on CPT use to work at Best Buy?! Hayes, salvo, Tylersucks, wallinguana

Only the cool kids got work at Best Buy.

Return to “Video Games”