Travis

Fallout 76

Postby Travis » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Supper mad
Tyler
Owner

Re: Fallout 76

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:11 pm

That sucks. Hopefully it all works tomorrow then.
Travis

Fallout 76

Postby Travis » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:01 pm

The only way I can get volume to work is plug in head set
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Fallout 76

Postby Tyler » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Travis wrote:The only way I can get volume to work is plug in head set
That's weird. At least it works that way. I'm sure a fix will come out
wags83

Fallout 76

Postby wags83 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:29 pm

That's sucky. Have you played much so far? How do you like it?
Travis

Fallout 76

Postby Travis » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:29 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post That's sucky. Have you played much so far? How do you like it?

Play it for about 2 hours I like it so far
Artukka

Fallout 76

Postby Artukka » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:04 am

Like Hayes I'm a big fan of the modern Fallout games, they're definitely like my gaming comfort food. Not necessarily the greatest games great for some casual low-key immersion and exploration.

Fallout 76 right now is in a super shoddy state and I can't recommend it to anybody but the most patient, die-hard Fallout fan. Pretty much every session I encounter an extremely frustrating bug or something that spoils my entertainment -- events that aren't possible to complete, events that don't do what they're supposed to do, workshops that are impossible to claim or defend because of glitched enemies, issues placing blueprinted structures that I've spent a good amount of time on due to CAMP bugs, etc. I defeated the "final boss" earlier this morning and it disappeared before I could loot it (but I guess that's okay because it apparently doesn't really have good loot anyway), and the server crashed shortly thereafter.

And those are just the major bugs... to say nothing of the performance issues and frame drops, and the constant barrage of lesser glitches that are of the variety that would be amusing (if there weren't so many of them) or mildly annoying.

It's also missing many obvious quality of life features. Some of the most expensive items you can buy from vendors are plans to build various weapons, armor, mods, and CAMP/workshop objects, but there's no way of knowing if already know a plan before you buy it. Mod previews don't show salient stats (e.g. if you want to add a pocketed mod to a piece of armor it doesn't tell you how much weight capacity it adds). It's two keystrokes to access certain menus. Trading with other players is probably the worst implementation of such a feature I've ever encountered in a game. EverQuest had a better trade screen in 1999.

The limited stash size has been mentioned and it's a huge issue. Inventory management is one main activities you participate in this game, and the UI for it is fairly poor. I fairly quickly reached the point where I started dropping most legendaries and unique quest rewards. I don't loot most ammunition or resources that seem like they should have value like oil, gold, nuclear material, crystal, circuitry or black titanium. There's just not enough room for that stuff and not enough to do with it.

Also, for the time being there's pretty much no endgame besides trying to farm top-tier legendaries, which doesn't involve anything like dungeon delving, or grinding resources/currency, or killing challenging bosses. Instead the most efficient thing to do is server-hop to farm a handful of areas/events that have guaranteed legendary enemy spawns, which are trivial to kill.

Another issue is the dead world that lacks human NPCs. The story is delivered by audio logs and notes and it gets old pretty fast. The audio logs can be particularly irritating since they are very long, and are often very boring, and there are no playback controls for them, which means you pretty much have to stop what you're doing to listen to them and hope you're not interrupted by an attacking enemy or another player saying something. Also, the logs are often placed very densely in an area so you develop a "queue" of holotapes to listen to and notes to read, which I found irritating.

And the quests in this game... they're mostly garbage, in part because of the dead world. And I can hardly believe how meaningless some of them are in terms of the game's fiction. One series of quests has you "restoring" various tourist attractions, except there are no tourists. You turn a valve at a water attraction and it doesn't even have the visual payoff of causing running water. Usually with stuff like this there's at least some in-game contrivance that explains why you would do these odd, random, useless things... but nope, not in this case. The only reason to do them is for the rewards that often nobody even promises you, that materialize out of thin air when you complete them. Sometimes I get random quest objectives out of literally nowhere. A common one is "kill a wendigo while wearing a clown costume." Note that this isn't some random achievement type thing, it's an actual mission objective... that nobody ever gives you (so far as I can tell).

The game also looks pretty thoroughly unimpressive by 2018 standards. I'm pretty sure it's a step backwards in terms of visual fidelity and lighting/rendering systems from Fallout 4, perhaps a concession to technical difficulties presented by the multiplayer functionality.

The PvP system is tacked on and nonsensical, and mostly gets ignored.

It's a $60 early access game, with micro transactions (though most of the stuff in the mtx store is silly/tacky garbage; I used the premium currency I'd earned through gameplay to buy most of the items that appeal to me: potted plants, some overalls for the character I might RP as a plumber, the CAMP emote because why not... almost nothing else appeals to me).

The game's good points:

If you like the other modern Fallout games, most of the same elements are still present, except a story (not really a strong point of most BGS games) and NPCs.

I've enjoyed grouping up with other random players. The community is pretty friendly, not really toxic at all.

I also like the visual design of some of the environment. There are some really cool megastructures, and I like the mountainous setting with a rural touch. However, the game's technical qualities doesn't really do this part of the game justice, for the most part.

Some of the storytelling is good and the environments, in spite of the limitations of the medium.

Bethesda has released I think one patch since launch so far (and that patch did significantly improve performance on my system, though it's still not very well optimized) and they've announced a few other very welcome improvements and features. Supposedly all of the DLC updates will be free, although given the game's poor reception (bad reviews from critics, even worse reviews from users, 83% fewer sales of physical copies of in the UK over the launch week, and a 40% discount after the game's release) it may be that Bethesda will be tempted to cut their losses and give the game minimal support.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Fallout 76

Postby Tyler » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:25 pm

Very good post as always Artuka.

I didn't realize there were NO NPCs in the game. Getting all missions and details from audio tapes sounds awful. In any other game that would be optional additional things, not something that was required to drive the game's progress.
Artukka

Fallout 76

Postby Artukka » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:29 am

Yeah, there are AIs and robot NPC, some of which have a semblance of a personality, but others are just walking vending machines. There's a non-hostile Super Mutant trader that wanders around but even with him you don't get any dialogue options, just the basic "interact" function which opens the trade menu, advanced the quest, or gives you a random bit of dialogue.

You don't really have to pay attention to the audio logs, notes, etc. because the game's quest log and waypoints hold your hand for the most part, but it's not the most engaging approach. Even for quests where there was a fairly clear logic to why you would do what the quest said you to do, I'd often be fuzzy on what that logic was, which isn't a problem I ever remember having with past BGS games.
purple_hayes

Fallout 76

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:22 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I didn't realize there were NO NPCs in the game. Getting all missions and details from audio tapes sounds awful. In any other game that would be optional additional things, not something that was required to drive the game's progress.

Really? I believe I told you this point on several occasions. Sometimes I wonder if you listen to me at all.
purple_hayes

Fallout 76

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:26 am

Artukka wrote:Source of the post Yeah, there are AIs and robot NPC, some of which have a semblance of a personality, but others are just walking vending machines. There's a non-hostile Super Mutant trader that wanders around but even with him you don't get any dialogue options, just the basic "interact" function which opens the trade menu, advanced the quest, or gives you a random bit of dialogue.

You don't really have to pay attention to the audio logs, notes, etc. because the game's quest log and waypoints hold your hand for the most part, but it's not the most engaging approach. Even for quests where there was a fairly clear logic to why you would do what the quest said you to do, I'd often be fuzzy on what that logic was, which isn't a problem I ever remember having with past BGS games.

great post Artukka, I would agree on all of your points. I hope in future updates to the game they add NPCs back into the game. You have storylines where it seems you are moments after NPCs have been killed off or something. The missions you get in Flatbrook about joining a volunteer firefighter and EMT group leads you to believe there is a system being built much like the Minutemen in Fallout 4. I get the game is an online survival game. Like you said, with the lack of an overall storyline or true power growth system, the game can become boring, there is nothing to motivate you keep building to something.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”