Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Pixel Ripped 1989 -VR

Tyler
Owner

Pixel Ripped 1989 -VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Reminder to buy this tonight. Kind of like Duck Season with a game within a game

Steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN6kjM17njw
Tyler
Owner

Pixel Ripped 1989 -VR

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 pm

This game is very cool. You are a girl playing a handheld video game in school and need to shoot spitwads to distract the teacher so you can keep playing the game. There is something funky with the game world and your world and they sometimes combine. It is awesome when the game starts taking place in your "physical" space and not just on the gamegear. I wish there was a way to skip to those levels and show those off. I only played level 1 tonight. It took about 30 minutes. I think there are 4-5 levels.

This game would also benefit from playing with an Xbox controller. It is nice to use tracked controllers so you can move the console around, but it really isn't necessary. The in-game-game is kind of like a Mario platformer where you need to hold run and then jump to make the big gaps. One of my VR podcast hosts is lower 20's and talked about how hard it was to use both buttons at the same time. The other hosts grew up in the 80's and mocked him so hard for not knowing how to do it properly.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Pixel Ripped 1989 -VR

Postby Tyler » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 am

Level 2 boss fight wasn't as mins blowing as level 1. We shall see what 3 and 4 have in store.
Tyler
Owner

Pixel Ripped 1989 -VR

Postby Tyler » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Level 4 is so hard, and if you quit you need to start at the beginning of the level (30 minute progress). I am pausing the game overnight and hoping I can beat the final final boss tomorrow. It is very very difficult.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Pixel Ripped 1989 -VR

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Tyler wrote:Level 4 is so hard, and if you quit you need to start at the beginning of the level (30 minute progress). I am pausing the game overnight and hoping I can beat the final final boss tomorrow. It is very very difficult.
Tried unpausing the game...fail. SteamVR was closed and I couldn't get back into the game after restarting it
Tyler
Owner

Re: Pixel Ripped 1989 -VR

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Beat the game tonight. Some of the final boss levels were so intense, but I got in a groove and beat the final bit in like 30 minutes.

If you speed run the game it is probably 2-2.5 hours.

This game isn't for everyone. The story is pretty lame, but it fits the 80's look.

I want everyone to play the first 30 minutes though. This game makes me excited for the possibility of AR. You're sitting in a classroom for the first level and kind of forget you're in a game because you're so focused on the portable game. When the game jumps out into the classroom it was such a cool experience. I want to make Jocelyn play just level 1.

Xbox controller makes the boss fight much easier.

Fun little thing I noticed. The handheld you play looks like a Sega Gamegear kind of. It's called Gear Kid. Play on Gamegear and Game Boy?
wags83

Pixel Ripped 1989 -VR

Postby wags83 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:17 am

You've been having such a good conversation with yourself in here about this game.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Pixel Ripped 1989 -VR

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 am

wags83 wrote:You've been having such a good conversation with yourself in here about this game.
Haha. As I do in most threads.

Wilkins did message me that he tried the game and didn't like it. You need to get to level 1 boss fight before really experiencing the game and he did not.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”