Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:48 am

Oculus's yearly keynote starts tomorrow. This is where they announced Oculus Go last year (but didn't release until spring). They also showed off the Santa Cruz prototype and half-dome prototype.

The big product this year will be Santa Cruz. Picture the Oculus Go, but with 2 controllers and full 6 degrees of freedom tracking on headset and controllers. Wireless VR that you can use in a room. This will still use a mobile processor so it can't run full Rift games, but it will be able to play slimmed down versions of things like Dead and Buried. The prototype will get a actual product name this week, a price ($500 is my guess) and probably a spring 2019 release date.

I doubt there is any news of a CV2. Aka tethered PC VR. People who are hopefully are praying Santa Cruz can also be plugged into the PC. If it can do this or they announce a Rift 1.5 version I may sell mine and upgrade. But there will not be a full new product.
wags83

Oculus Connect 5

Postby wags83 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Oculus Connect 5

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:46 pm

That $400 price tag will be huge. I hope it has the new VR CPU chip, but I doubt it at that price.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Connect 5

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Beat Saber has to be a launch game with this. That will be the best way to play that game and it should run just fine on the mobile CPU
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:52 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I hope it has the new VR CPU chip, but I doubt it at that price.

Oculus confirms to Gizmodo the Quest uses a Snapdragon 835 Processor

TL;DR
Go has Snapdragon 821
Quest has 835. Same chip in the Samsung S9 and standalone Mirage Solo that has been out for awhile.
People were hoping for at least 845, but even that will be old news by the time it ships

It's not discouraging for everyday consumers who wanted an affordable all-in-one product, but bummer for elitist
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:04 pm

Oculus Quest To Have Strict Store Curation Like A Game Console

This is good. Quest is for the Joe Walmarts of the world and should be liked a close console to keep it easy. Oculus on PC isn't quite as strict with the games/content you can play on there.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 am

Rift Robo Recall running on a desktop GPU vs the Quest version running on a mobile process. Obviously a big difference, but it would still be fun

wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:41 am

Wow, unplayable.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:54 pm

wags83 wrote:Wow, unplayable.
I mean...this one might be since I'm use to good graphics in the same. Things like Beat Saber and Rec Room should look more or less the same.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:30 pm

A couple of the VR podcast hosts I listen to tried this out at PAX East and GDC. Both of them said it should be an instant buy for VR fans. They said don't let any graphic pictures discourage you from it. Once you are in the game it doesn't matter at all and it looks nicer in the headset than it does online.

They said you will reach for this 9 out of 10 times compared to the Rift because of it being so portable and no wires. It is capable of less graphics, but the screen, resolution, and lenses are actually way better.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:52 pm

Tyler wrote:A couple of the VR podcast hosts I listen to tried this out at PAX East and GDC. Both of them said it should be an instant buy for VR fans. They said don't let any graphic pictures discourage you from it. Once you are in the game it doesn't matter at all and it looks nicer in the headset than it does online.

They said you will reach for this 9 out of 10 times compared to the Rift because of it being so portable and no wires. It is capable of less graphics, but the screen, resolution, and lenses are actually way better.
Well that's exciting

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:34 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Well that's exciting

I really need you to get this. I could see myself getting this in addition to the Rift S, but it wouldn't be until the end of the year.

You should put up your Rift on eBay. They are going for $300+ for just the base setup +shipping. If you have a 3rd sensor (I don't think so?) or a USB card it would increase the price.

Unless you think you want both headsets. I think that is optimal, but also means you need to spend the full $400 for the Quest.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Well that's exciting

I really need you to get this. I could see myself getting this in addition to the Rift S, but it wouldn't be until the end of the year.

You should put up your Rift on eBay. They are going for $300+ for just the base setup +shipping. If you have a 3rd sensor (I don't think so?) or a USB card it would increase the price.

Unless you think you want both headsets. I think that is optimal, but also means you need to spend the full $400 for the Quest.
I am strongly considering it. Might see if brother in law wants my rift though since he just bought a 1070ti.

Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

Postby Tyler » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:43 am

Quest has so much potential to make VR mainstream and not just a niche of gamers. While at my mom's 60th birthday party I was running a lot of kids through my dad's Windows MR headset. All the kids were playing was Beat Saber, Job Simulator, and Space Pirate Trainer. Every parent asked what it would cost to get a PC and headset. Good news, I said they could play these 3 games and more for $400 and not even need a PC or wires.

Storm said he would also get the Quest. He's been wanting VR for awhile but couldn't justify getting a PC just for it.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Tyler wrote:Quest has so much potential to make VR mainstream and not just a niche of gamers. While at my mom's 60th birthday party I was running a lot of kids through my dad's Windows MR headset. All the kids were playing was Beat Saber, Job Simulator, and Space Pirate Trainer. Every parent asked what it would cost to get a PC and headset. Good news, I said they could play these 3 games and more for $400 and not even need a PC or wires.

Storm said he would also get the Quest. He's been wanting VR for awhile but couldn't justify getting a PC just for it.
Yeah the PC is a huge barrier to entry.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:22 am

More and more info pointing at both Rift S and Quest out on April 30th. If Quest would come out first (it won't) I would buy it just to try it. I was really hoping S would come out 2+ weeks first.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Quest review of Robo Recall

As one of the more graphically impressive titles on the VR marketplace, there’s an expectation to see some of this visual fidelity would be stripped away to ensure it ran at a solid clip on this headset, but nope – Robo Recall looks pretty damn good running on the Quest. We had previously seen a snippet of the game that looked pretty blurry, but since-released images promise more of a visual feast.

There’s a few minor graphical changes to keep things ticking over on the headset, however. Lighting and other effects appear to have been dialled back a bit, and during the first stage there appears to be a little bit less going on in the background of the city than in original, PC-based release. It’s a similar trick that PSVR titles utilise, like Gran Turismo – a loss of fidelity in areas where you’re not paying close attention to, to keep the areas you’re forced to pay attention to looking their best.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Brad, will you spend an extra $100 to double the storage? 64 vs 128
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Tyler wrote:Brad, will you spend an extra $100 to double the storage? 64 vs 128
Oh man. Is it expandable?

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”