Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:48 am

Oculus's yearly keynote starts tomorrow. This is where they announced Oculus Go last year (but didn't release until spring). They also showed off the Santa Cruz prototype and half-dome prototype.

The big product this year will be Santa Cruz. Picture the Oculus Go, but with 2 controllers and full 6 degrees of freedom tracking on headset and controllers. Wireless VR that you can use in a room. This will still use a mobile processor so it can't run full Rift games, but it will be able to play slimmed down versions of things like Dead and Buried. The prototype will get a actual product name this week, a price ($500 is my guess) and probably a spring 2019 release date.

I doubt there is any news of a CV2. Aka tethered PC VR. People who are hopefully are praying Santa Cruz can also be plugged into the PC. If it can do this or they announce a Rift 1.5 version I may sell mine and upgrade. But there will not be a full new product.
wags83

Oculus Connect 5

Postby wags83 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Oculus Connect 5

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:46 pm

That $400 price tag will be huge. I hope it has the new VR CPU chip, but I doubt it at that price.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Connect 5

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Beat Saber has to be a launch game with this. That will be the best way to play that game and it should run just fine on the mobile CPU
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:52 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I hope it has the new VR CPU chip, but I doubt it at that price.

Oculus confirms to Gizmodo the Quest uses a Snapdragon 835 Processor

TL;DR
Go has Snapdragon 821
Quest has 835. Same chip in the Samsung S9 and standalone Mirage Solo that has been out for awhile.
People were hoping for at least 845, but even that will be old news by the time it ships

It's not discouraging for everyday consumers who wanted an affordable all-in-one product, but bummer for elitist

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”