Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu May 23, 2019 6:15 pm

Tried out beat saber for a few minutes and I can not believe how good quest is. The tracking is fantastic, the graphics are unbelievable, and the headset is more comfortable than the cv1.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

Postby Tyler » Thu May 23, 2019 6:42 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Tried out beat saber for a few minutes and I can not believe how good quest is. The tracking is fantastic, the graphics are unbelievable, and the headset is more comfortable than the cv1.

Richie rich buying a $30 game!

Can you hear the boxes being cut? In the Rift S the music drowns out that sound I noticed.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu May 23, 2019 8:55 pm

I actually just played the demo while other games were downloading. I had the volume way down because Marshall and Sarah we're watching a movie in the same room.

I tried a bunch of the demos tonight. I ended up buying sports scramble. Creed I won't get but it's ok. I'll get beat saber obviously. Maybe job sim if it goes on sale, meh. Super hot I'll get at some point also. Kinda sucks being locked into one store but I'll get over it.

I have to find an area to maximize my play space, likely the basement. Creating a new space is soooooo much better.

I'll get to play so much more without having to worry about being too loud next to Marshalls room.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri May 24, 2019 6:29 am

It's nice they have so many demos available. Will help developers get some sales for sure.

Graphics are lower for some games, but do you notice an increase in resolution thanks to the screens? Probably easiest to notice it on text
Tyler
Owner

Re: Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

Postby Tyler » Sat May 25, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm trying to talk my dad into the Quest. All he plays is short wave shooters, Quest would be perfect for him. He would get his money worth just out of Space Pirate Trainer and Dead n Buried 2.

His favorite VR game is a free one tho made by a single developer. It's on Steam so it won't be ported over
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sat May 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Tyler wrote:It's nice they have so many demos available. Will help developers get some sales for sure.

Graphics are lower for some games, but do you notice an increase in resolution thanks to the screens? Probably easiest to notice it on text

Yeah everything seemed crisper while using it. I didn't really notice some of the turned down graphics.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:06 am

Part of me wishes I got the quest. With a new born in the house I don't have 45 minutes to suit up and get into a game. The frictionless quest sounds appealing. Probably just seconds to get into a game.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:33 pm

Tyler wrote:Part of me wishes I got the quest. With a new born in the house I don't have 45 minutes to suit up and get into a game. The frictionless quest sounds appealing. Probably just seconds to get into a game.
It's really quick to start up. I have only played a couple times because work has been crazy.

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:08 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I have only played a couple times because work has been crazy.

Dang busy season! I'll eager wait for you to have more time for it. I was so naive thinking I would have any time at all with a newborn in the house.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Got off work early today so I will be cleaning my basement to make room for me to play without annoying Sarah

Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Oculus Quest (previously Santa Cruz) at OC5

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:18 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Got off work early today so I will be cleaning my basement to make room for me to play without annoying Sarah

Pic of play area before and after
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Full review of quest

Overall 8/10

Battery life - way above expectations the only reason I'd have a batter pack hack would be if I bring it somewhere to have people try

Screen - more than good enough, I don't notice the decrease in frame rate, nor the increase in resolution from the og rift. There is an ipd adjustment which was nice since the rift s removed that.

Headset - much lighter and more comfortable than I expected. It feels like it should be empty but is loaded with tech.

Sound - blows chunks, I will of course be using my own headphones but now I'll have to look into decent ones that will not get in the way or bother me in game.

Controllers - my first experience I thought they were good enough but after another hour of gaming in both sports scramble and beat saber tonight they arent ideal. It feels shorter and in games like tennis, baseball, or beat saber I lost my grip a few times. I never felt like I HAD to strap the og ones on, these I absolutely do. I also hit the home button with my palm more than a few times. Maybe it's just me because I have very large hands, but this was a negative. I also lost tracking on them a couple times, but I think it was my fault.

Gameplay- fucking incredible. I can't believe it's not connected to my PC. Beat saber feels even smoother than it was in the rift. Robo recall felt nearly identical to rift. I will be trying super hot soon so that will give me a better sense of how tracking is with more movements.

I have no regrets in swapping my rift for this. I can get into a game in less than 5 minutes assuming my play area is clean. I can also just set up a new play area in 30 seconds of I take it somewhere. It's insanely easy to use.

If you are on the fence, go buy the damn thing!

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:22 am

Good write up. I assume your controller issues are because of your man hands. I don't have any of those problem with the identical Rift S controllers.

Interesting you hate the sound. Most people online aren't too hard on it because then design makes it more portable, just like the Go. However, there is no excused a tethered Rift S should have the same sound solution.

Have you had Sarah try it?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:03 am

Tyler wrote:Good write up. I assume your controller issues are because of your man hands. I don't have any of those problem with the identical Rift S controllers.

Interesting you hate the sound. Most people online aren't too hard on it because then design makes it more portable, just like the Go. However, there is no excused a tethered Rift S should have the same sound solution.

Have you had Sarah try it?
No she hasn't yet. I guess for the sound I wish they had included the "optional" headphones that they sell. Just feels like a cop out to call it more portable but now I also need to pack headphones

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:29 pm

The more I hear about this the more I want it. If there is a holiday sale or PC to Quest streaming is more consistent I'll get it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 am

Bmyoungs...look into this. Would need to buy a Vive Deluxe Audio strap for $75-100 though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmnPnS4NOYo
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Tyler wrote:Bmyoungs...look into this. Would need to buy a Vive Deluxe Audio strap for $75-100 though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmnPnS4NOYo
Oh man that is pretty sweet

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:50 am

I was at Walmart and luckily they were out of stock. I don't think I would have been able to not buy it, at least to try it a few weeks
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:07 am

Sidequest
Easily sideload apps to the Quest. Bmyoungs might check this out? With the Go I sideloaded some stuff and it was cumbersome, this makes it a lot easier.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:47 pm

Yeah I read about that.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”