Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

'Subnautica' is Now Free on Epic Games Store With VR Support, Add to Library Period Lasts Until Dec. 27th

Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

'Subnautica' is Now Free on Epic Games Store With VR Support, Add to Library Period Lasts Until Dec. 27th

Postby Blue Jackets » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:13 am

Saw this on Reddit and figured you guys would like

Link
Tyler
Owner

Re: 'Subnautica' is Now Free on Epic Games Store With VR Support, Add to Library Period Lasts Until Dec. 27th

Postby Tyler » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:09 am

This is a sit-down controller VR game, but I've heard amazing things about it.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:41 am

I need to pick this up today.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: 'Subnautica' is Now Free on Epic Games Store With VR Support, Add to Library Period Lasts Until Dec. 27th

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:15 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:I need to pick this up today.
Or any time in th next 10 days
Tyler
Owner

Re: 'Subnautica' is Now Free on Epic Games Store With VR Support, Add to Library Period Lasts Until Dec. 27th

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:01 pm

One of the VR podcast hosts said this was his 2018 game of the year and all time favorite VR game period.
kyle

Postby kyle » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:47 pm

I love this game and i have only played it non VR. beautiful enviroments, with an amazing way of making you want to keep exploring and discovering new technologies and areas. You can also build bases, vehicles, and upgrades to your gear allowing you to explore further and deeper. It's great!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:16 pm

Tried playing this in VR today because it was too janky, at least on Windows MR.
Windows MR > SteamVR > Epic Games
I need to do some research to see if all of those are required.

Edit. this should fix it?
https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comm ... a_to_work/
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:08 am

I got this working last night with my Odyssey. The game just throws you into it with no explanation of how to do anything. I swam around for 40 minutes and tried collecting things from the ocean floor. I think I need to craft things, but my inventory was full and then I couldn't find anything to eat. I may need to watch the first 10 mins online just so I don't waste so much time again.
kyle

Postby kyle » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:09 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I got this working last night with my Odyssey. The game just throws you into it with no explanation of how to do anything. I swam around for 40 minutes and tried collecting things from the ocean floor. I think I need to craft things, but my inventory was full and then I couldn't find anything to eat. I may need to watch the first 10 mins online just so I don't waste so much time again.

I got you. This game is entirely about exploration. The first few hours of the game will be about using the scanner you start with to learn new blueprints and gather information about everything you see. You will want to swim around and try to find wrecks IE: piles of scrap from the main ship AURORA. When you do look around with your scanner and there will be several things you can scan to learn blueprints. You can then make the items using the fabricator on your lifepod.

Keep an eye out for the little floppy disk icon that will appear on the right side of your screen, because this will show you when you get a radio message. I dont remember if you have to repair the radio first or if you start being able to use it... But radio messages will show you where other lifepods have crashed down and you can learn blueprints from those.

You definitely want to try to get the oxygen tank, fins, and seagliders built first. They will all allow you to get around much easier. After that try to get the portable vehicle station up so you can build a seamoth.

Early on the best way to get food and water is to just swim around and grab the little fish. The bladderfish can be turned into water and all the other little fish can be cooked using the fabricator. Something i didnt realize until way late in the game is if you craft the knife, and cut off chunks of the giant tube coral then combine it with salt in the fabricator it makes bleach. You can then use the fabricator to turn the bleach into filtered water which is better than the water you make from the bladder fish!

Besides that just explore and have fun! Subnautica is a beautiful game that i sunk a good 20 hours into and didnt even complete. I've been tempted to go back to it but im at a point where i have to go REALLY deep and its super dark and terrifying down in the depths with giant sea creatures that can kill you... :pray: :shifty: :whistle: :violin:
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks for the write up Kyle. Very helpful. I didn't even know I had a scanner, I will need to study the controls
kyle

Postby kyle » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:15 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the write up Kyle. Very helpful. I didn't even know I had a scanner, I will need to study the controls

No problem! I didnt play in VR so it might be a little different. I think everyone should experience this game though it is quite amazing!
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: 'Subnautica' is Now Free on Epic Games Store With VR Support, Add to Library Period Lasts Until Dec. 27th

Postby Tyler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:46 pm

kyle wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the write up Kyle. Very helpful. I didn't even know I had a scanner, I will need to study the controls

No problem! I didnt play in VR so it might be a little different. I think everyone should experience this game though it is quite amazing!
You get to replay it all in VR soon!
kyle

Postby kyle » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
kyle wrote:

You get to replay it all in VR soon!

So hype. Although apparently Amazon doesnt know when they will be shipping me my 1070 ti even tho when i ordered it said 2 day shipping D:
kyle

Postby kyle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Have you had a chance to play any more of this one? I havent tried it in VR yet because I hear it can make you motion sick really easy lol
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:30 pm

I havent played more since the other night. We've been super busy lately with moving and some family emergencies.

It's a seated game that uses gamepad for full locomotion. It will get you sick for sure, but try it just for 5 mins, then 10 later, etc. You will build up your VR legs over time. I can play about 45-60 minutes of a full locomotion game before I start feeling it and then I stop right away. When I first got VR I pushed through it but I felt sick the entire rest of the day.
kyle

Postby kyle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I havent played more since the other night. We've been super busy lately with moving and some family emergencies.

It's a seated game that uses gamepad for full locomotion. It will get you sick for sure, but try it just for 5 mins, then 10 later, etc. You will build up your VR legs over time. I can play about 45-60 minutes of a full locomotion game before I start feeling it and then I stop right away. When I first got VR I pushed through it but I felt sick the entire rest of the day.

Yeah I started up Lone Echo which is super fun! But also seems to be full locomotion. I've gotten pretty used to it after about 2 hours of gameplay but when i tried turning on the "Roll" or "Pitch" i almost puked lol
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 pm

kyle wrote:Source of the post Yeah I started up Lone Echo which is super fun! But also seems to be full locomotion. I've gotten pretty used to it after about 2 hours of gameplay but when i tried turning on the "Roll" or "Pitch" i almost puked lol

Lone Echo actually does locomotion better than most games. I wouldn't consider it full since you need to grab and pull yourself around. Full location is when you move forward with the joystick. I did not turn on roll or pitch because I knew I couldnt handle that.
kyle

Postby kyle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:35 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
kyle wrote:Source of the post Yeah I started up Lone Echo which is super fun! But also seems to be full locomotion. I've gotten pretty used to it after about 2 hours of gameplay but when i tried turning on the "Roll" or "Pitch" i almost puked lol

Lone Echo actually does locomotion better than most games. I wouldn't consider it full since you need to grab and pull yourself around. Full location is when you move forward with the joystick. I did not turn on roll or pitch because I knew I couldnt handle that.

Ah okay makes sense. Yeah i really like the pulling and moving yourself + thrusters it feels really good
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Mods to try
LINK

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”