Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Video Game pricing

Tyler
Owner

Video Game pricing

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:55 pm

The conversation in the alien thread made me think of this. How long have been games been at $60? It seems like since Xbox 360, before that even?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Video Game pricing

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:29 pm

I'm going to say probably around the time of N64/PS1. The fact that a game hasn't really increased in price is often used as an arguing point for the inclusion of pre-planned DLC, micro-transactions, or lack of base game content.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Video Game pricing

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:32 pm

DannyFanny wrote:I'm going to say probably around the time of N64/PS1. The fact that a game hasn't really increased in price is often used as an arguing point for the inclusion of pre-planned DLC, micro-transactions, or lack of base game content.
That's pretty crazy to think about considering inflation. A soda pop has increased 50-100% in that time, but a video game hasn't.

I could see how someone could make that argument, but I don't think they should.

What price do most people consider is fair for a game? For PC I'm not ever spending more than $30. I bought Spiderman for PS4 at $60 and was more than happy with that.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Video Game pricing

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:58 pm

It's not even inflation that needs to be considered. Games as a whole have increased in scale and technology.

As for a fair price for a game it really depends on the game for console. Spending $60 for a game I can beat in under 10 hours and it has little to no replayability, I would feel cheated. Spending $60 for a game with hundreds of hours of content is a different story.
There's also "living" games where you need an active player base to complete content efficiently games like WoW, Destiny, Anthem, or any PvP-based game. If you get into them too late you might have a hard time completing content from the beginning of the game or finding good matches.
Whereas single player games you can wait until a sale and not worry about not having people to do things with.
That's why I don't buy new games often I mainly play single player games so I can wait until the sale, Destiny being the exclusion. Back when we all played Xbox together we would have to get the new Halo or CoD to play together.
wags83

Video Game pricing

Postby wags83 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:53 am

Interesting points. I've always thought $60 was super expensive, especially when you see the price drop by half after a few months. RDR2 was the first game I bought at the full $60 price in a looooooong time. My issue is that I don't often have a lot of time for gaming, so full price never seems worth it for me. I also don't really like playing online anymore because, again, I don't have enough time to play to get good and it seems like everyone you play with online lives for that game online, so I'm always way worse than everyone (which makes it not that fun). Although, if I'm playing with a bunch of friends, then it's fun even if I suck.
bmyoungs

Video Game pricing

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:01 pm

I pretty much agree with Danny. I don't even pay for online anymore so single player is the only thing I'm paying for. I usually stick to sports games on PS4 and those decrease in price pretty fast.

I will say I'm not a fan of the new freemium model and paying for upgrades or skins. I don't play any of these games but I know fortnight has made a killing on selling non necessary character upgrades.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Video Game pricing

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:23 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I will say I'm not a fan of the new freemium model and paying for upgrades or skins. I don't play any of these games but I know fortnight has made a killing on selling non necessary character upgrades.

As long as the stuff you buy is purely cosmetic and not perks, I think it is cool a game can be as free as you want it to be.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Video Game pricing

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:08 pm

If you're going to have a free game Fortnite has one of the better models for making money. You can buy new costumes for your character but they don't do anything in the game.
Warframe is another free game. You build new weapons and armors but those take IRL time 24 hours or something like that or you can pay money to have it now. I'm pretty sure this is a strictly PvE game so it's not like purchasing those "time-jumps" affects other players.
Apex Legends is the new Battle Royale hotness and you can purchase two different characters. From what I've heard aren't any better than the 6 you can already play for free.

While I'm against microtransactions, the lesser of two evils are ones that add fun things but don't effect the game play. Mobile gaming usually has predatory microtransactions though and should not be purchased.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”