Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality

Tyler
Owner

The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 am

Link
From the guy that wrote Console Wars a few years ago.

The author was on a weekly VR podcast I listen to and I've been seeing a lot of articles published about findings from the book. Like Oculus had 2 Rift successors cancelled. Also gets into Palmer Lucky being axed. The book has a lot of Facebook internal emails and texts.

I'll probably get it, but 500 pages is pretty intense.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:28 pm

I bought the book for Kindle because I'm a nerd. My VR podcast kept saying how great it was and how much they all enjoyed it.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Read the forward tonight. It was written by Ernest Cline, the guy who wrote Ready Player One. I thought that was appropriate
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:51 pm

I'm not far, but I am enjoying this book. I think it is going to show Palmer Lucky as a boy genius before it gets to his Trump memes, even though FB still claims he wasn't fired for political reasons.

Dude was 22 when the company he started, which had only 20 employees, was bought by Facebook for $3 BILLION. In the first meeting with Mark Zuckerburg the first hired employee of Oculus asked Mark "Is this going to hurt Oculus because most people view Facebook as evil". LOL 2014 Facebook was a saint when compared to the company now.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 am

Palmer was 19 when he made the DK1 and sold it on Kickstarter.
John Carmack was 21 when he started id Software and made Commander Keen, Doom, and Quake within 5 years.

We are all so lame.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”