Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality

Tyler
Owner

The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 am

Link
From the guy that wrote Console Wars a few years ago.

The author was on a weekly VR podcast I listen to and I've been seeing a lot of articles published about findings from the book. Like Oculus had 2 Rift successors cancelled. Also gets into Palmer Lucky being axed. The book has a lot of Facebook internal emails and texts.

I'll probably get it, but 500 pages is pretty intense.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:28 pm

I bought the book for Kindle because I'm a nerd. My VR podcast kept saying how great it was and how much they all enjoyed it.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Read the forward tonight. It was written by Ernest Cline, the guy who wrote Ready Player One. I thought that was appropriate
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:51 pm

I'm not far, but I am enjoying this book. I think it is going to show Palmer Lucky as a boy genius before it gets to his Trump memes, even though FB still claims he wasn't fired for political reasons.

Dude was 22 when the company he started, which had only 20 employees, was bought by Facebook for $3 BILLION. In the first meeting with Mark Zuckerburg the first hired employee of Oculus asked Mark "Is this going to hurt Oculus because most people view Facebook as evil". LOL 2014 Facebook was a saint when compared to the company now.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 am

Palmer was 19 when he made the DK1 and sold it on Kickstarter.
John Carmack was 21 when he started id Software and made Commander Keen, Doom, and Quake within 5 years.

We are all so lame.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:12 pm

The timing of this book is crazy how it lines up with real events this month. In my current chapter a 19 year old Palmer is meeting at Valve just before the first Kickstarter. Valve asked if the headset would have a physical or software IPD adjuster. Palmer back then said software would be fine for 58mm-75mm.

Cut to today. Valve is doing a headset with physical and rift is back to software. And Palmer now says software is limiting way too many people
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 am

No one cares, but I am really enjoying this book. It is fascinating following the Oculus startup and how the stars aligned for them so many times.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Thought about locking this thread so no one but you could post in it.....but that's what's already happening.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:01 pm

wags83 wrote:Thought about locking this thread so no one but you could post in it.....but that's what's already happening.
Jokes on you! You're here now
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Slowly working my way through this book. Remember it is 500+ pages. I crossed 50% this week.

Reading it makes me wish I knew a out Oculus sooner. It was after DK1 shipped that they came on my radar. Even more, it makes it seem so exciting to be part of a (successful) start up. Being with these boys wheeling and dealing would be such a rush. I don't have the smarts, confidence, or people skills to ever do anything like this book is portraying.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Just finished the part about 23 year old Palmer funding Trump memes. I believe this book more than the media. Palmer did donate $10k to a new non-profit that bought a Trump billboard, but it is wasnt anything like the news reported.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:08 am

I just wanted you guys to know I finally finished this book. I basically stopped reading it once baby was born, but got back to the last 10% after I got my 2nd Kindle paperwhite. No more sharing!

The book ends shortly after Palmer gets the boot. It was a good story and I am team Palmer now.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:55 pm

HUGE News. Nate Mitchel is leaving Facebook/Oculus. He was the last remaining founder. He was a big character in the book.

Here is his reddit post.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... mpossible/

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”