Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Trover Saves The Universe - from Justin Roiland

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:44 pm

This is his 2nd or third VR game. I've played Accounting so I want to check it out. $30 though.

I'll post a trailer later
kyle

Postby kyle » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:06 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post This is his 2nd or third VR game. I've played Accounting so I want to check it out. $30 though.

I'll post a trailer later

This one looks amazing. Definitely going to pick it up!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Tyler
Owner

Re: Trover Saves The Universe - from Justin Roiland

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:31 pm

Newest Rick and Morty. I noticed this and remembered unwanted to play this game. Will buy this week

wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:54 am

Lol, good catch. Didn't even notice/didn't remember this was a thing.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:31 am

I started this last night. This isn't strictly a VR game, but it does support it. You can play on any platform pancake style, including Switch.

A little about the game from Amazon:
-A comedy adventure from Rick and Morty co-creator Justin Roiland filled with combat, platforming, puzzles, and morally questionable choices. See how the best intentions can go horribly awry.
-Control Trover's movements, but not his mouth. He's got a lot to say about what's going on in the game.
-Travel the cosmos to experience a variety of weird alien planets and characters with big personalities.
-Upgrade Trover AND YOURSELF with new abilities to (hopefully) defeat Glorkon while evading awkward situations.
-From the co-creator of Rick and Morty comes Trover Saves the Universe. Your dogs have been dognapped by a beaked lunatic who stuffed them into his eye holes and is using their life essence to destroy the universe. You're partnered with Trover, a little purple eye-hole monster who isn't a huge fan of working or being put in the position of having to save the universe. Only you and Trover can save everything in this bizarre comedy adventure filled with combat, platforming, puzzles, and morally questionable choices -- created by Justin Roiland!

My thoughts on the game after only about 30 minutes of playing:
This may be the best scripted game I've ever played, outside of a Telltale game where the entire game is based on scripting. The character have something new to say almost all the time. I purposely do things wrong or slow just to get them to say something new. Example: I didn't have to kill someone I encountered, but I did. Trover then continued to reference it for a bit.

It is a sitting VR game and it recommends using a basic controller. So no hand tracking. Your character is physically sitting in a chair the whole game while holding a gamepad. You control Trover with this gamepad.

This game is beautiful. Yes, the game has cartoon graphics, but it works so well in VR. I'm not sure if it's because I'm playing on Rift S whereas I've been using Quest for the past few months, but the environments look so good. The game defaulted me to low settings, but I changed to Epic and it is running flawlessly for me. I will probably try streaming wirelessly to Quest just out of curiouslty, but since you are sitting the entire time I don't mind the cord.

The scripting is worth repeating. The game is hilarious with all of the voice acting. A lot of the characters sound identical to Rick and Morty characters (Trover has Morty's voice), so that was a little distracting at first.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:10 am

The game is 3-5 hours I read. That sounds about right. I played a bit more last night and can't get over the scripting. It is by far the best part of the game. Another example: NPCs start talking to each other when you leave the area, but you can still hear them, when you go back to the area it sets off a whole other set of conversations because you overheard something you weren't suppose to. Completely optional for me to return that area, but since I did I got to hear more jokes.

The gameplay is getting pretty repetitive, especially the combat, but I still enjoy it. When enemies die (they all have Rick's voice) they sometimes cry out one last dying thing. "I never got to pierce my nipples". "My favorite movie is (can't remember but i laughed)" "What does @55hole taste like?"
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:37 am

I finished this last night, it took me 5 hours just like the internet said it would. The game got pretty repetitive and even boring in the end and the humor shtick started to wear off. I think it is worth playing for a couple hours, but playing through completion is not necessary.

If I would have stopped after 2 hours it would have been under the Great category of my master list, but since I finished it and found it kind of lackluster in the second half I am going to give it "Good".

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”