Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

TV vs Monitor gaming

Tyler
Owner

TV vs Monitor gaming

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:29 am

Typically if you have a console you game on the TV and if you have a desktop you use a monitor. My desktop has almost always been connected to a TV so I have the option to game on the TV. I figured with the new big TV I would want to use that, but I ultimate find myself using the monitor because it is easier to see things when you sit so close. I think if I was a little closer to the TV I would probably prefer that.

What about you guys? Strictly monitor? In college I even had my xbox connected to my monitor instead of my TV.
wags83

TV vs Monitor gaming

Postby wags83 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:46 am

I have never connected my PC to the TV for gaming, but have only ever used the Xbox on a TV.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

TV vs Monitor gaming

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 am

I've thought about a gaming monitor, but ultimately I would have to move my playstation to somewhere else for that to be a viable option. Maybe when I played more PVP games, it would have made sense. I am hardlined to my router though.
Tyler
Owner

TV vs Monitor gaming

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:32 pm

I thought of this topic again with Corey and Brad having consoles again. Are you both doing monitor vs desktop?

I haven't played a major game on my TV since I borrowed a PS4 and played Spiderman on the TV like 3-4 years ago. I've tried doing one-off PC games on the TV, but it isnt worth the hassle and as I said above I just sit too far away from the screen in the basement. If I were to get a console (no plans to), I'm not sure if I would do it on the TV or desk monitor
bmyoungs

TV vs Monitor gaming

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 pm

I connected my series x to the monitor for a while, but I specifically got a TV that had a 4k 120hz input and panel so that's where its hooked up now.

To be fair though my monitor is basically a TV since it's 32". Even gaming last night in windowed mode was actually not bad.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

TV vs Monitor gaming

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:59 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I specifically got a TV that had a 4k 120hz input and panel so that's where its hooked up now.

I forgot you did that.

Idk if I'll ever be satisfied with gaming on my TV because it's so far and so high. I would never consider gaming on the one upstairs, but maybe downstairs if I had a console.
ejhartman91

TV vs Monitor gaming

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 pm

Right now I play Xbox on Monitor and PS4 on TV. I may consider moving both to the basement (if it ever gets finished...) because I have a 75" 4k 120hz panel going in down there. I'm also likely moving my "office" down there as well so maybe I'll just keep the Xbox One on the monitor...
Corey
Site Admin

TV vs Monitor gaming

Postby Corey » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:33 am

I have mine connected to the TV in the basement
wags83

TV vs Monitor gaming

Postby wags83 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:29 am

PC on monitor, I've never considered hooking it up to TV. Xbone is connected to TV but I haven't turned it on in well over a year.
Tyler
Owner

TV vs Monitor gaming

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:06 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post I have mine connected to the TV in the basement

That's where I figured you would put it. How does it look on a big huge budget TV? HDR specifically.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post PC on monitor, I've never considered hooking it up to TV.

I like the idea of it, but like I said, it's not worth the hassle. I tried doing Witcher that way since it is also a console game, but I just played on monitor after TV added more setup steps.

Return to “Video Games and VR/AR”