Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Westworld (1973) movie

Tyler
Owner

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:04 am

I think cwilkins88 has watched the movie, does everyone plan on watching it before the show starts on Sunday, October 2nd?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:35 am

if I have a way to watch it, I will.
Tyler
Owner

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:37 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post if I have a way to watch it, I will.

*cough*plex*couch*
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:42 am

your cough looks an awful lot like couch...
wags83

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby wags83 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:40 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post your cough looks an awful lot like couch...

I think he's trying to say that the way to watch it is on the couch.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:55 pm

I guess I'll burn my bean bag movie watching chair. Are you happy, Tyler?! you killed the only thing I ever loved.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:58 pm

It's worth a watch
Tyler
Owner

Re: Westworld (1973) movie

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Watched tonight. For being 43 years old I think it holds up pretty well. Most of the comedy falls flat, mostly because it relies heavily on the musical cues and that kind of comedy doesn't do anything for me.

The story was very interesting, but I wanted more. I would have liked to see more of the logistics of the park and how safety is guaranteed. I hope the series spends a couple episodes going over the park running smoothly before everything goes wrong. I want to know exactly how the park works. This should be much easier to explain today than it was in '73.

The character of the Gunslinger was terrifying. It gave me goosebumps when he was steadily walking after the guy in the basement and then started running. It was a very T-1000 fron Terminator 2 moment, even though this movie predates that.

One thing I thought was weird. They are able to make robots capable of having intercourse with humans, but they can't model the hands right? I wonder what sign the show will use to distinguish robots from humans.

I don't think the movie is going to have the other 2 worlds, at least not that I have heard, but I have also avoided most of the trailers.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:11 pm

I've avoided them as well. Would be interesting if they incorporate the other worlds. Some scenes fell flat, but overall I was impressed. I read s bunch of articles that talked about how this movie set the gold standard for graphics for a long time
Tyler
Owner

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:38 am

$1,000.00 in 1973 had the same buying power as $5,565.29 in 2016
I hope that the show uses $5,000 a day as a price point.

I thought it was interesting that when they were describing the robots going rogue I kept thinking 'That sounds like a virus". I figured they didn't use that exact term because this movie predates it. According to wikipedia:
In fiction, the 1973 Michael Crichton sci-fi movie Westworld made an early mention of the concept of a computer virus, being a central plot theme that causes androids to run amok.[27] Alan Oppenheimer's character summarizes the problem by stating that "...there's a clear pattern here which suggests an analogy to an infectious disease process, spreading from one...area to the next." To which the replies are stated: "Perhaps there are superficial similarities to disease" and, "I must confess I find it difficult to believe in a disease of machinery."
TL;DR - Crichton invented the computer virus
Tyler
Owner

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:05 am

Question on the robots' intelligence. Do the robots have simple "If this, then that" programming or is there an element of AI? Almost all of the conversations with the robots make it seem like each bot has a set of programmed responses. I imagine the Gunslinger is programmed to bump into someone at the bar and then saw a string of insults until it gets shot. Would a robot have a response if asked "Are you a robot or human?".

I don't think the robots are smart enough to "think" or have any kind of conscience, so it's not like telling a robot they aren't human would confuse it. Even when the robots go on a killing spree, they are not acting on their own, they are simply doing what they are programmed to do and the safety feature is malfunctioning. I imagine the HBO show will explore the idea of AI a lot more by having the robots gain a form of consciousness and start acting out as a way to benefit themselves.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:23 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Question on the robots' intelligence. Do the robots have simple "If this, then that" programming or is there an element of AI? Almost all of the conversations with the robots make it seem like each bot has a set of programmed responses. I imagine the Gunslinger is programmed to bump into someone at the bar and then saw a string of insults until it gets shot. Would a robot have a response if asked "Are you a robot or human?".

I don't think the robots are smart enough to "think" or have any kind of conscience, so it's not like telling a robot they aren't human would confuse it. Even when the robots go on a killing spree, they are not acting on their own, they are simply doing what they are programmed to do and the safety feature is malfunctioning. I imagine the HBO show will explore the idea of AI a lot more by having the robots gain a form of consciousness and start acting out as a way to benefit themselves.

I would assume thats correct. In the movie, it was definitely predefined scenarios. I imagine, something as simple as asking whether its a robot would've had defined responses. I'm thinking the show is going to Battlestar Galactica us, in that we will be very surprised at who is human and who isn't.
Tyler
Owner

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:31 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I'm thinking the show is going to Battlestar Galactica us, in that we will be very surprised at who is human and who isn't.

Totally agree. In the movie you never really question who is a robot vs human, because outside of the 3 dudes in Westworld all are robots. Which makes me wonder, will the robots have such advanced AI that they think they are actually a human living in the wild wild west age?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:33 am

tyler wrote:Source of the post cwilkins88 wrote:
source of the post i'm thinking the show is going to battlestar galactica us, in that we will be very surprised at who is human and who isn't.

totally agree. in the movie you never really question who is a robot vs human, because outside of the 3 dudes in westworld all are robots. which makes me wonder, will the robots have such advanced ai that they think they are actually a human living in the wild wild west age?

i'm hoping this turns into a chappie scenario. the ai finds out he's a robot, but! then you can make it say funny curse words and shoot guns sidways for effect.

i just hope die antwood isn't in it. Those people creep me tf out.
Tyler
Owner

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby Tyler » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:55 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I've avoided trailers as well.

My podcast brought up a good point. In the movie everything existed in the physical world as robots because that is what people in the 70's thought of the future. Being in 2016 we know virtual reality would be a lot more practical than spending billions on a park and robots when people explode them everyday. Will the show have a Matrix like aspect to it where you tap into Westworld vs physically being there? Maybe a combination of the two?

If it does go the Matrix route then I think we would get a lot of story told outside of the park, and seeing people living their daily lives and visiting Westworld when they get home from work.
Tyler
Owner

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:53 am

Since people who haven't seen the movie won't care, I am putting this here

HBO's 'Westworld' won't visit Romanworld, Medievalworld or other themed areas in the park at all in Season One
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:08 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Since people who haven't seen the movie won't care, I am putting this here

HBO's 'Westworld' won't visit Romanworld, Medievalworld or other themed areas in the park at all in Season One

I was wondering. That surprises me honestly.
Tyler
Owner

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:02 am

Based on PlexPy, Corey and/or Meg made it 4 minutes into this movie before turning it off. I am guessing it was during the opening "commercial" for Delos and they shut it off because they thought the whole movie was going to have that horrible aspect ratio.
CrckrJack

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:10 am

Kathryn and I watched this over the weekend. We each thought it was super good. The actors that played the robots back then did a really good job, I was really impressed.

I felt like it held up to the test of time. Very entertaining, although sometimes silly.

Also we were drunk, so that may have distorted our perception.
Tyler
Owner

Westworld (1973) movie

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:12 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I felt like it held up to the test of time. Very entertaining, although sometimes silly.

I think the western stuff ages fine, for obvious reasons, but the Delos headquarters is pretty dated with the reel-to-reel tapes and "future" tech.

Silly is a good word to describe the bar fight scene.

Return to “Westworld”