Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Westworld s01e01

Tyler
Owner

Westworld s01e01

Postby Tyler » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:04 pm

I had plans to watch this tonight, but I think I am going to hold off until tomorrow. I don't think anyone here was going to watch tonight anyways.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Westworld s01e01

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:08 pm

Nope. I need to watch the movie yet.
Corey
Site Admin

Re: Westworld s01e01

Postby Corey » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:26 pm

We will probably watch tonight
Tyler
Owner

Re: Westworld s01e01

Postby Tyler » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:23 pm

I stayed up and watched it. I'll give my full thoughts tomorrow (and throughout the week as I read more), but I thought it was great. First 10 minutes already had me rethinking everything I thought I knew
megatron

Westworld s01e01

Postby megatron » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:46 pm

It took me a bit to really follow what was going on, but I think I will continue to watch. There's going to be some really messed up stuff going on!
Tyler
Owner

Westworld s01e01

Postby Tyler » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:52 am

megatron wrote:Source of the post It took me a bit to really follow what was going on

Before watching the first episode I wasn't sure if watching the movie was going to be worth it, but I think it is. The show seems to be set in the same universe. When the park workers said "we haven't had an incident in 30 years" I think they are talking about the events from the 1973 movie (even though that would put it at 40+ years). When they go into cold storage there is also a sign that says Delos, which is the name of the overall park in the movie. These of course could just be Easter eggs for people who have seen the movie, but I suspect there will be plot points being driven off of the original.

For those that have seen the movie, did you think Ed Harris (the man in black) was going to be the Gunslinger? They did such a great job setting Teddy up as the human and then pull the rug out from under you right away when he's killed.
► Show Spoiler

A lot of foreshadowing when Teddy asked Dolores how the cattle are heard. She is going to be the Judas steer that the other robots follow. Her killing the fly proves she is more self aware than the park workers know.
Tyler
Owner

Westworld s01e01

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:53 am

megatron wrote:Source of the post It took me a bit to really follow what was going on, but I think I will continue to watch. There's going to be some really messed up stuff going on!

Did you have any idea what the show was about? Did you even know it was going to be western robots set up in a present/future time period? I want to know what a person thought of this show that watched it without knowing anything at all, it would have taken a long time to figure things out I would think.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Westworld s01e01

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:34 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post megatron wrote:
Source of the post It took me a bit to really follow what was going on

Before watching the first episode I wasn't sure if watching the movie was going to be worth it, but I think it is. The show seems to be set in the same universe. When the park workers said "we haven't had an incident in 30 years" I think they are talking about the events from the 1973 movie (even though that would put it at 40+ years). When they go into cold storage there is also a sign that says Delos, which is the name of the overall park in the movie. These of course could just be Easter eggs for people who have seen the movie, but I suspect there will be plot points being driven off of the original.

For those that have seen the movie, did you think Ed Harris (the man in black) was going to be the Gunslinger? They did such a great job setting Teddy up as the human and then pull the rug out from under you right away when he's killed.
► SHOW SPOILER

A lot of foreshadowing when Teddy asked Dolores how the cattle are heard. She is going to be the Judas steer that the other robots follow. Her killing the fly proves she is more self aware than the park workers know.

I thought for sure Ed Harris was the gunslinger. I'm not entirely convinced that its the other guy mentioned in the spoiler, but very well could be. For an HBO show, it seems to obvious, but most people probably haven't seen the movie either. I love the throwbacks to the movie such as "A single handshake would have given them away". I also like the guy who suggested that people only like the park because they KNOW what is real and whats not, and I have to say, I 100% agree.

Based on the above, I'm not entirely sure I believe the most unbelievable part of this whole show, and that I doubt any of the guests wouldn't kill each other on accident. For two reasons. 1) Stupidity. 2) There has to be some guy who thought in his head "There is no way to know, I could kill anybody and get away with literal murder in the eyes of a jury"

I kind of feel like Anthony Hopkins is intentionally sabotaging his creations. It just seemed like he already knew it was his mistake when talking to the lead programmer, and they went out of their way to explain the fact that he reviews every line of code that gets thrown in, and he has NO oversight.

I agree with your foreshadowing piece. It seems like she is for sure going to rebel, and probably try to run away with her boyfriend not boyfriend not human person. I 100% doubt the reveries are going to go away, or will not be re-added, so that will trigger it, as soon as the boyfriend gets the same update I believe.

I think the show is feeding a lot to us the first episode to get us hooked. The swatting of the mosquito was less than 2 minutes after she mentioned she couldn't harm a living creature, although I do like that they showed flies crawling over the machines faces several times prior to that.
Tyler
Owner

Westworld s01e01

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:58 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post For an HBO show, it seems to obvious

I thought it was an obvious theory as well, but I haven't read anyone mentioned that on r/Westworld
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I kind of feel like Anthony Hopkins is intentionally sabotaging his creations.

For sure. It seems clear he wants to make the robots sentient. What if we find out he is a robot?!
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The swatting of the mosquito was less than 2 minutes after she mentioned she couldn't harm a living creature

Yes, that was very heavy handed. "Ol' Deloris here, she couldn't harm a fly." Cut to her killing a fly.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Westworld s01e01

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:12 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
For sure. It seems clear he wants to make the robots sentient. What if we find out he is a robot?!
cwilkins88 wrote:
Source of the post The swatting of the mosquito was less than 2 minutes after she mentioned she couldn't harm a living creature

Yes, that was very heavy handed. "Ol' Deloris here, she couldn't harm a fly." Cut to her killing a fly.

I know that it was intended for people to go "OH SHIT SHE JUST FAWKING DID!!!" but it seemed a bit much. They could've showed that as the beginning scene in the next episode and been much more subtle.
megatron

Westworld s01e01

Postby megatron » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:08 pm

Tyler wrote:
megatron wrote:Source of the post It took me a bit to really follow what was going on, but I think I will continue to watch. There's going to be some really messed up stuff going on!

Did you have any idea what the show was about? Did you even know it was going to be western robots set up in a present/future time period? I want to know what a person thought of this show that watched it without knowing anything at all, it would have taken a long time to figure things out I would think.

I only knew what the previews showed while watching other HBO shows. By the end of the episode, I definitely get he premise, but I wasn't able to catch all the little things you guys are bringing up here. I pretty much got the surface plot. Maybe I should rewatch the first episode, or watch the movie.
Tyler
Owner

Westworld s01e01

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:20 pm

megatron wrote:Source of the post Maybe I should rewatch the first episode, or watch the movie.

The movie isn't amazing and it is certainly dated, but it is an easy watch at 90 minutes. HBO doesn't expect everyone to have the movie knowledge, but I like being on the side of people who know slightly more than others.
Wallinguana

Westworld s01e01

Postby Wallinguana » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:17 pm

I really like the direction they are going. I haven't seen the movie in years but I don't remember it being any deeper than "wouldn't it be scary if robots broke and tried to kill us". This is going real deep into the morality of playing with these nearly sentient beings. And making The Man in Black an evil guest is genius. I am looking forward to seeing where this goes.
CrckrJack

Westworld s01e01

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:54 am

Okay so I am a little confused about this. Is the park in a different universe? Like is it inside a game? I hate how they don't show you this. Also are people just there for multiple days in a row? the conversation between the manager and the story writer made it seem like there were new people every day, but then the guy that was in like... day 2 killed the bandit in day 3, so he obviously has stayed for more than 1 day in a row?

It's dumb that the guests can't die, you could just go in there and kill all the hosts with literally nothing to lose.

Also that black guy was jacked af.

At the end of the show Kathryn and I were both like "that was weird, but we'll watch more".

I love Ed Harris. It seemed weird that his portion wasn't "resetting". wonder what that is about, how did him and the dealer not get reset???
Tyler
Owner

Westworld s01e01

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:05 am

I will answer these questions, but it might remove some of the mystery for you.
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Okay so I am a little confused about this. Is the park in a different universe? Like is it inside a game?
They haven't explicitly explained this in the show universe, but the movie takes place in our world. It is a physical place you travel to via the park's transportation.
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Also are people just there for multiple days in a row? the conversation between the manager and the story writer made it seem like there were new people every day, but then the guy that was in like... day 2 killed the bandit in day 3, so he obviously has stayed for more than 1 day in a row?

Think of a camping vacation. The park is always open, but people book their stays for different amounts of time. You could pay $40k and be in for just one day, or pay $400k and be there for 10 straight days.

As for the Westworld story, my theory is there are multiple tiers of story. The milk bandits and the guy robbing the town are the A plot. The writer said he had to adjust the script to get the bad guys to town a week earlier than planned. These stories might be on a 2 week cycle.
Delores and Teddy are probably closer to C plots. It seems like they are reset every day. They have a short script to stick to, but can improvision away from that if a guest interacts with them - like when the bros ask Teddy to be their guide.
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post It's dumb that the guests can't die, you could just go in there and kill all the hosts with literally nothing to lose.

That is 100% the point and appeal of the park. No one is going there if they could get hurt themselves. They want to experience murder, (rape?), etc, but not have any of the criminal or moral consequences
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I love Ed Harris. It seemed weird that his portion wasn't "resetting". wonder what that is about, how did him and the dealer not get reset???

That is because Ed Harris is a human. He made a comment about coming to the park for the past 30 years and commented on Teddy's role in Westworld is only to be the loser so a guest can be the winner.
CrckrJack

Westworld s01e01

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:09 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post That is 100% the point and appeal of the park. No one is going there if they could get hurt themselves. They want to experience murder, (rape?), etc, but not have any of the criminal or moral consequences

Right, but I was under the impression that it was like TRON, not Jurassic Park.

Edit: Tron is not a good example because if you die there, you die. maybe more like that book I read, Ready Player One
Tyler
Owner

Westworld s01e01

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:15 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Right, but I was under the impression that it was like TRON, not Jurassic Park.
Edit: Tron is not a good example because if you die there, you die. maybe more like that book I read, Ready Player One

Those are virtual worlds, Westworld is a physical world. You aren't plugging into a computer to get to Westworld, you are traveling there and doing real things.

Yes, if it was a virtual world with nothing real you could kill anyone and not get hurt, but then there wouldn't be robots - it would be all software and no hardware.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Westworld s01e01

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:16 am

I forgot to mention that I absolutely loved the old western takes on pop classics at the piano
tylersucks

Westworld s01e01

Postby tylersucks » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:18 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I forgot to mention that I absolutely loved the old western takes on pop classics at the piano

Black Hole Sun was surprising, and wonderful.
CrckrJack

Westworld s01e01

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:26 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Those are virtual worlds, Westworld is a physical world.

I know that now.

Return to “Westworld”