Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Westworld - s02e05

Tyler
Owner

Westworld - s02e05

Postby Tyler » Sun May 20, 2018 9:18 pm

I'll post my full thoughts tomorrow, but when Paint It Black started playing in Shogun world I got a tingle up my spine. Those were some of my favorite scenes from last season and I loved noticing it was a clone of the WW story before the hosts did.
Tyler
Owner

Westworld - s02e05

Postby Tyler » Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 am

I really liked a lot of this episode, but the Dolores stuff continues to drag everything down. The ending was finally interesting with her killing Teddy, but nothing else. Sorry for the pun, but she seems so robotic and uninteresting. I am sure we will come to appreciate this, but in the moment it is a bore.

Know what isn't boring? Armistice, Maeve, and Hector meeting their Shogun World dopplebots. Each of them reacted to it a different way and it was great.

I thought it was cool when Maeve started using Jedi mind tricks and Lee had no idea how she was doing it. I liked that because they laid the groundwork for this in the first episode of the season. Bernard told Hale about a mesh network that the hosts used to communicate with each other without them even knowing it. He said the main use of this was to make sure the narratives went smoothly (example, Host A is late to his post so Host B would stall a group of guests). Maeve has found a way to tap into this and control hosts without voice commands.

I think Maeve was trying to teach her counterpart to be selfaware, but she rejected it? Seemed like she was well on her way since she was breaking her narrative according to Lee. Everyone saw it coming that she would stab the guy with her hair stick, but I did not expect her to cut all the way around his head.

We got only a tease of Bernard up front where the lab guys discovered 1/3rd of the drowned hosts had no personality. Did Dolores delete them to use as goons? Or did she print her own? I think he said they never had data ever.

I have to mention one more time how great the scene was with Paint It Black and the Shogun world crew doing the exact same story. Love that.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Westworld - s02e05

Postby Tyler » Mon May 21, 2018 8:51 am

Something dumb I forgot to mention. Deloes soldiers/mercenaries were strung up to trees. There is no plausible way to show sword yelding ninjas beat trained soldiers with ARs so the show just didn't show it and you're suppose to not think about it. Dumb.
CrckrJack

Westworld - s02e05

Postby CrckrJack » Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 am

I hated this episode. I was glad when it was over. The whole shogun world was incredibly boring for me.

I liked that they talked about how they sewed their ears shut and then continued to talk as if they weren't. "Take them to their quarters" or whatever and the soldiers didn't need gestures or anything.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post We got only a tease of Bernard up front where the lab guys discovered 1/3rd of the drowned hosts had no personality. Did Dolores delete them to use as goons? Or did she print her own? I think he said they never had data ever.

I think this will be interesting. I am thinking that she printed her own bodies and put the actual minds in the new bodies. I am sure we will find out soon though.

Return to “Westworld”