Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Wire - s01e01 - The Target - 6/25/2017

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:33 pm

Artukka wrote:Source of the post And it's not just that McNulty defied the chain of command, he was fucking with the program by getting himself detailed and Santangelo detailed so there were two fewer detectives available to work the Homicide rotation. The rotation may not be a perfect system*, but it's a system and even good systems can start to break down when there's a rogue element hell bent on rocking the boat. Notice that nobody (not even the cops who so far have been portrayed as being more competent/sympathetic) seems particularly happy about what McNulty did. Nobody's reaction is "well it's about damned time!" Instead they range from annoyed to astonished to mildly amused.

Good insight! How many times have you seen this pilot episode? You seem so wise!
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post

Tyler wrote:Source of the postI still can't name a single member of the narcotics team.

There is the black lady and two white guys, duh.

Will something come of the 2 male officers missing a gun and mishandling the paperwork? I am guessing this was just to show them as incompetent compared to their female counterpart
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Tyler wrote:Good insight! How many times have you seen this pilot episode? You seem so wise!

Thanks... to answer your question, an embarrassing number of times.I first caught the show back when it originally aired towards the end of season 2 but I didn't actually go back and watch the first episodes until in between the airing of seasons 3 and 4, which was 2006. I've probably watched the series roughly annually since then so that'd be 11 viewings but that's a conservative estimate.

There are a lot of TV shows I like or love but The Wire is the only show I revisit like this... partly for its sheer entertainment value, partly because there's very little else out there that's like it stylistically (or in substantively for that matter) so there's nothing else to scratch this itch, and partly because it's so dense and layered that you can get something new out of each viewing. It's a little thing, but part of the reason I mentioned Kima giving Herc credit for the arrest was because it's something I never really registered before, I guess because all the banter drowns it out and because I think I'd assumed they were collectively sharing credit for the arrest rather than taking turns.

It's not a big thing, understanding that gives me a slightly different outlook on some of these characters' behavior in upcoming episodes.

Will something come of the 2 male officers missing a gun and mishandling the paperwork? I am guessing this was just to show them as incompetent compared to their female counterpart

Your read on the scene is a good one. The next episode will explore this subject matter (competence/accountability) in a way that's a bit more integral to the story.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Artukka wrote:Source of the post I've probably watched the series roughly annually since then so that'd be 11 viewings but that's a conservative estimate.

Wow! That is very impressive. I haven't come across a show ever that has impacted me that greatly. I love Breaking Bad and The Leftovers, but I don't feel the need to rewatch those for many more years.

Thanks for taking the time to register for the site and checking it. I think it's going to be very informative to have such a veteran watcher of the show to bounce ideas off of and ask clarifying questions. I trust you won't get too excited and start spoiling things. :shifty:

Return to “The Wire”