Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Wire - s01e02 - The Detail - 07/02/2017

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:49 am

IMDB Synopsis:

Lt. Daniels puts his team together but the extra help he's asked includes several less than stellar officers. It also includes McNulty, who is obviously in the doghouse. When one of the witnesses against D'Angelo Barksdale is found dead, McNulty and his homicide partner 'Bunk' Moreland bring him in for questioning. They have no evidence that he had anything to do with the killing but their instincts tell them otherwise. When news of the witnesses death hits the press, Major Rawls is convinced that McNulty is again responsible. Three of the newly assigned detectives, Hec, Prez and Carver decide to go to the towers and flex a little muscle only to have it turn into a major disaster.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:56 am

We didn't get a chance to watch last night because I tried going to bed early...but fireworks.

Will watch tonight. Did anyone else watch over the weekend?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm really liking Lt. Daniels (narcotics guy in charge of the team). He seems to be really level headed, even when his officers were at fault for a brutality case.

McNulty was right about his rhythm with Bunk, they were great at interrogating D'Angelo. I successfully predicted it would be Bunk's kids in the picture.

I yell at the TV every time McNulty talks to the judge. He's in a deep enough hole as it is!

Character of Prez (moron cop who shot his gun indoors and beat the 14 year old) is an interesting. I am wondering if he will learn from the others on his team or if they will have to get rid of him because of the incident he started.

D'Angelo's lawyer was hilarious. I am sure we will see more of him.

Bubbles (I think that's the informant's name) was really smart with the hat trick. It makes sense he would know more about the gang members than the police. I hope his buddy turns out to be okay.

----
Overall I thought the episode started off slow but it picked up at the end when the 3 idiots paid a visit to the towers. I thought it was all good, just slower at times.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:37 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I'm really liking Lt. Daniels (narcotics guy in charge of the team). He seems to be really level headed, even when his officers were at fault for a brutality case.

Lt. Daniels is amazing. He's an incredible actor. Wouldn't you love to chat with the guy or have him watch your dog at the Continental?

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Character of Prez (moron cop who shot his gun indoors and beat the 14 year old) is an interesting. I am wondering if he will learn from the others on his team or if they will have to get rid of him because of the incident he started.

You have to feel for Prez though, I think its been brought up, if not small spoiler... his father-in-law is a Major in the south district.
► Show Spoiler

Bubbles (I think that's the informant's name) was really smart with the hat trick. It makes sense he would know more about the gang members than the police. I hope his buddy turns out to be okay.

The informant's street name is Bubbles. He's based on a true life person in Baltimore that has basically a photogenic memory. He's able to remember faces extremely well. Andre Royo who plays 'Bubbles' does a spectacular job.

Spoiler... you are about to meet
► Show Spoiler

Tyler Edit: Added spoiler tags. Nothing crazy was posted, but more info than some of us might want to know
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:21 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post You have to feel for Prez though, I think its been brought up, if not small spoiler.

SPOILER! Episode 2 makes the connection to his father-in-law, but there isn't any talks of him being forced into the occupation of a police officer.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:25 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post You have to feel for Prez though, I think its been brought up, if not small spoiler.

SPOILER! Episode 2 makes the connection to his father-in-law, but there isn't any talks of him being forced into the occupation of a police officer.

I don't think its brought up, you just get the feeling from scenes with Prez and future ones. I don't believe its specifically ever said that Prez is forced into the police by his father-in-law.
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:28 am

As a citizen, I have to agree with Marla (Lt. Daniels's wife) that he should've hung his men for the fiasco at the high-rises... but as a police supervisor, it's clear that he felt he had basically no choice, unless he wanted to be a pariah within the department which would make it practically impossible for him to ever lead an effective unit, let alone climb the ranks. He does at least make his displeasure known and give them an earful with a nice touch of fury, and he does it in a way that leaves his men feeling chastened (rather than angry towards Daniels) so that's something.

Level-headed is definitely right though. He did exactly what he set out to do when dealing with the three knuckleheads -- I get the sense that a lazier or less competent supervisor might have inadvertently let them hang. And also earlier, when talking to the Auto lieutenant (Cantrell) he parlayed Prez's more harmless fuck-up shooting the wall into getting Cantrell to give up his best man for the detail (Sydnor, seen this episode asking the older detective Freamon about his dollhouse furniture). Given Prez's actions later in the episode though it still seems as though Cantrell is coming out ahead in the trade.

Regarding Bunk and McNulty's rhythm, there's another classic showcase of such coming up in a couple episodes.

And beyond his good memory for faces, Bubbles is definitely resourceful. I mean I imagine you have to be, in his circumstances. And an absolutely brilliant performance by Royo. There's this anecdote:

Once, a man pressed a package of heroin into the hands of Andre Royo, the actor who plays the sympathetic junkie and police informant Bubbles, saying, “Man, you need a fix more than I do.” Royo refers to that moment as his “street Oscar.”
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Artukka wrote:Source of the post getting Cantrell to give up his best man for the detail (Sydnor, seen this episode asking the older detective Freamon about his dollhouse furniture). Given Prez's actions later in the episode though it still seems as though Cantrell is coming out ahead in the trade.

Thanks for confirming that connection. I assumed that was the guy Cantrell loaned him, but it is tough keeping track of all of these names while they are introduced in the episode.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:41 am

Did anyone else get a Hitchcock and Sully (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) vibe from the two older officers added to the detail?
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Did anyone else get a Hitchcock and Sully (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) vibe from the two older officers added to the detail?

haha, yes.

I liked this episode a lot. I don't really remember a lot of it other than when the 3 go to the towers. what a bunch of idiots. if i was their boss i would have been super furious. i can see why lt daniels told the kid to say that. i bet it really sucked for him to have to try and cover the ass of his team already.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:17 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post i can see why lt daniels told the kid to say that

I think there is a lot to learn about Lt. Daniels. Look how he is living vs McNulty.
McNulty is sleeping on a mattress on the ground. Zero furniture in his house. Total mess.
Daniels seems to have a mansion. Wears full pajamas to bed! Who even does that?!

First episode mentioned that Daniels has a law degree. I am guessing his wife is just as successful as him, if not more so. She seemed pretty smart when she was talking to him about the situation.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:20 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Daniels seems to have a mansion. Wears full pajamas to bed! Who even does that?!

Lol that was so weird. no way he could afford that on baltimore cop salary.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:27 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post i can see why lt daniels told the kid to say that

I think there is a lot to learn about Lt. Daniels. Look how he is living vs McNulty.
McNulty is sleeping on a mattress on the ground. Zero furniture in his house. Total mess.
Daniels seems to have a mansion. Wears full pajamas to bed! Who even does that?!

First episode mentioned that Daniels has a law degree. I am guessing his wife is just as successful as him, if not more so. She seemed pretty smart when she was talking to him about the situation.

Its also been mentioned that Lt. Daniels isn't as squeeky clean as he comes off as. McNulty is a mess. He drinks way too much, fools around way too much, and his wife kicked him out. Its a choice of how to live, not that they don't make enough money to live.
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:04 am

I don't think anything has been said yet with regard to the possibility of Daniels not being as clean as he appears.

I do love what they did with McNulty's apartment though. So often in TV shows everyone has a nice looking living space whether it makes sense for the character or not (economically, or in terms of personality or circumstance).

Return to “The Wire”