Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Wire - s01e03 - The Buys - 07/10/2017

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:06 am

IMDB Synopsis:

After two weeks on the job, the team still doesn't have a photo of their principal target, Avon Barksdale. Freamon has a solution when he hears Avon was a Gold Gloves boxer. In the aftermath of the near riot at the towers, Lt. Daniels stands by his men even though he thinks the were stupid to do what they did. He's ordered to lead a raid on the low-rise units in the projects but McNulty rebels and refuses to participate in a raid that's just being put up for show. Disatisfied with the antiquated equipment they have to work with, McNulty asks his friend at the FBI to lend them listening devices. His friend also has some information for him about Lt. Daniels. D'Angelo isn't around when a gang led by someone called Omar robs his stash.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:08 am

I will probably watch this sometime during the week.
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:37 pm

So, who thought that Kima was running over to stop the police from beating on Bodie?

Does the revelation that Daniels might be a bit dirty change how you view him?

This episode also gave us D'Angelo's lesson on chess to young Wallace and Bodie. That sort of thing can easily come off as a cliche, but I think it comes off pretty well -- it effectively reinforces information we have about the roles various characters play in the Barksdale drug organization, and gives some added insight into the worldviews of D'Angelo and Bodie. Another nice touch is that they were initially using the chess set to play the simpler game of checkers.

First impressions of Omar, the scar-faced, shotgun-toting guy who ripped off the stash while D'Angelo was on a food run?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:38 am

Artukka wrote:Source of the post So, who thought that Kima was running over to stop the police from beating on Bodie?

My wife and me! It was a "wait..what?" moment when she ran over there just so she could start kicking him.

Artukka wrote:Source of the post Does the revelation that Daniels might be a bit dirty change how you view him?

Not yet. I don't think there is enough evidence. Just because a man has money doesn't mean he is dirty. They talked about him having too much money based on his salary, but they didn't mention his wife at all.

Artukka wrote:Source of the post This episode also gave us D'Angelo's lesson on chess to young Wallace and Bodie. That sort of thing can easily come off as a cliche, but I think it comes off pretty well

I really liked this scene as well. I agree it was a little on the nose, but I didn't mind it.

Artukka wrote:Source of the post First impressions of Omar, the scar-faced, shotgun-toting guy who ripped off the stash while D'Angelo was on a food run?

I'm excited to see him, but he doesn't seem like a criminal mastermind. His goons are even worse.

I like that the comparisons with the FBI and police continue. McNulty and the detail get ancient surveillance equipment and pretty much beg the FBI for better stuff. "Is that all?" It was nothing for the FBI to loan that stuff out.

Bubbles continues to be the most helpful CI ever. He is just one of the boys now hanging out.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 am

I thought it was interesting that Omar thought the low-rise operation was a mess, but everyone else though it was running smoothly. D'angelo impressed Stringer by bringing in more money than normal and even got a raise. The undercover cops said the money/drugs were switching hands so many times they couldn't track it. In the first scene we see Omar he has a line about it being sloppy.
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Yeah, I think Omar was being slightly uncharitable with his assessment, but then it says something about what his standards are like. D'Angelo increased the Pit's revenue substantially while hardening the operation to standard buy-bust police tactics, but Omar was able to identify the buy-busts for what they were as they were happening so it's conceivable that D's crew could've done the same if they were really on the ball. Not only would that have meant fewer low-level arrests for the detail to work with, but it would've been bad news for the investigation and Bubbles going forward if Bubbs and Sydnor had gotten marked as snitches. And of course Omar did manage to take the re-up. But I doubt many street crews would've fared much better.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:39 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I thought it was interesting that Omar thought the low-rise operation was a mess, but everyone else though it was running smoothly. D'angelo impressed Stringer by bringing in more money than normal and even got a raise. The undercover cops said the money/drugs were switching hands so many times they couldn't track it. In the first scene we see Omar he has a line about it being sloppy.

When Omar assesses the low-rise operation as being sloppy, I took it as he meant that they weren't tight on security. That he was able to follow what was going on too easy. I think it says more to the experience of D'Angelo in the high-rise operations that he brought to the low-rise which made it more finanically successful but because D'Angelo has not come off as the brightest of minds, his security of protecting his business isn't the tightest operation.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:52 am

Artukka wrote:Source of the post Yeah, I think Omar was being slightly uncharitable with his assessment, but then it says something about what his standards are like. D'Angelo increased the Pit's revenue substantiall

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post I think it says more to the experience of D'Angelo in the high-rise operations that he brought to the low-rise which made it more finanically successful but because D'Angelo has not come off as the brightest of minds, his security of protecting his business isn't the tightest operation.

Great insight! That makes total sense. D'Angelo seems pretty smart (just look at the chess scene) but he isn't the best thug (ignoring the fact he murdered someone). It makes total sense he can improve the profits but doesn't stop to think about the muscle or security.

I thought it was funny that in 102, when McNulty had D'Angelo in the interrogation room, he asks why selling drugs can't be simple like selling other goods. He flat out says they wouldn't be there if they just sold dope and no one got killed. D'Angelo says this exact thing to Bodie and Micheal B Jordan's character in 103.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:15 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Artukka wrote:Source of the post Yeah, I think Omar was being slightly uncharitable with his assessment, but then it says something about what his standards are like. D'Angelo increased the Pit's revenue substantiall

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post I think it says more to the experience of D'Angelo in the high-rise operations that he brought to the low-rise which made it more finanically successful but because D'Angelo has not come off as the brightest of minds, his security of protecting his business isn't the tightest operation.

Great insight! That makes total sense. D'Angelo seems pretty smart (just look at the chess scene) but he isn't the best thug (ignoring the fact he murdered someone). It makes total sense he can improve the profits but doesn't stop to think about the muscle or security.

I thought it was funny that in 102, when McNulty had D'Angelo in the interrogation room, he asks why selling drugs can't be simple like selling other goods. He flat out says they wouldn't be there if they just sold dope and no one got killed. D'Angelo says this exact thing to Bodie and Micheal B Jordan's character in 103.

D'Angelo is soft. He's not this hardened criminal. I don't know if you caught it, but if my memory serves me correctly, the guy he killed walked in on him while he was threatening someone. He's just been forced into this game because of his family. He's easily swayed by the police with the pictures and the story, heck he had to be reminded not to talk while in the car ride home from prison. The whole McNulty thoughts on the drug game cements in D'Angelo's mind that the game should be ran different. But as everyone knows... the weak get snuffed out by the hard. So the circle of life never ends.

Return to “The Wire”