Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Wire - s01e04 - Old Cases - 07/16/2017

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 pm

IMDB Synopsis:

Bodie walks out of detention pretending to be a janitor but Patty is recovering in hospital and is pleased that his injuries will result in a medical pension. Avon Barksdale puts a contract out on Omar and others who robbed him. He wants to make sure everyone on the street knows he's not to be messed with. Judge Phelan keeps the pressure on and Daniels recommends to the Deputy that they need a wire. McNulty suggests they get a warrant to clone the pagers the drug runners use. Det. Fremon is one step ahead of everyone having already found D'Angelo Barksdale's pager number.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:54 am

I gave my wife (JocelynJane on the forum) the chance to tap out on this series if she wanted, but she said she's started to get invested and was looking forward to watching it last night. Looks like we will be the only 2 who see this project through, with me the only one posting.

Here are my unorganized thoughts!

Cold open to this episode was pretty hilarious. Herc and Carver are trying to get a desk through a door with Lester quietly making your doll furniture and trying not to laugh at them. McNulty sees them struggling and comes to help. Daniels comes in is embarrassed by how stupid his detail is looking and offers his help. They just can't get the desk through the door no matter how hard they push. They all give up and Herc just can't believe they can't get the desk in the door. "In?" LOL. The other guys were trying to push it out the door. Really funny gag, but also hammered home the fact the crew isn't on the same page or communicating well.

An even funnier scene was at the end of the episode when McNulty and Bunk were investigating the old murder scene at the apartment and only communicated with one another by saying "f**k" 87 times.

Bodie walking out of juvie like that was pretty bold. That place needs to tighten up their security! Lester sees Bodie at the low-rises later when he is confirming D's pager number. Why doesn't he call Bodie in and they can pick him back up? Maybe they have deemed it a waste of time. At the beginning of the episode Kima says something about all the minors not giving up any information and just telling her to f herself. Juvies must know they can't get in any real trouble with the law so it's better to keep their mouth shut. Heck, even the guy threatened with 5 years of jail said he would take the years over giving up Barksdale. How old is Bodie suppose to be? Under 18 if he was at juvie? Kid looks like a man though.

We got our first look at McNulty's ex-wife and his kid. I was picturing his kid to be older, but I'm not sure why. I thought it was pretty funny that McNulty brought Bubbles to the soccer game.

A lot of insight on Lester this episode. He is clearly a really good cop (getting the pic of Avon last episode and confirming D's pager this one). I liked when him and McNutly went out for drinks and Lester warned him not to tell anyone the last place he would want to work as a cop. We all know McNulty already said this in the first episode. "The docks. The diesel fumes make me sick".

Aside from the desk skit, I thought Herc and Carver had 2 other good scenes. When they were riding to talk to Bodie (because they didn't know he escaped) it was pretty entertaining to hear Carver fantasize about talking to Bodie is going to break the case. By the end of his story he had Herc believing it as fact. I also liked when those 2 went to Bodie's grandma's house. They entered very forcefully, but when Herc realized Bodie wasn't there he had the decency to apologize to the grandma for his actions and language. This might be the first time that we've seen Herc act like a decent cop.

I thought it was big of Landsman to go to Rawls and say McNulty is a good cop and he needs him back. This of course isn't exactly what he said, but his roundabout way of getting there had the same message. There is no way the detail can wrap this up in 2 weeks so McNulty can be given a clean slate.

Probably a bigger deal in 2002 than it is now, but we learned Omar is gay. We also learned his last name because Bubbles continues to be the world's best CI who knows everything about every criminal operation in the city.

Going back to the murder at the apartment... When D was telling the story to Bodie and crew I didn't believe it at first. We know D killed one person because of the pilot, but he only did that because he feared for his life. D is way softer than everyone else in the Barksdale crew. I didn't believe a word D was saying when he told the story, and it seemed like Bodie was doubting it too. However, McNulty and Bunk seemed to confirm the story when they revisited the crime scene. I wouldn't be shocked to learn it wasn't actually D who killed her though, and he is just taking credit to look tough in front of the kids. He claimed to have shot her with a large caliber handgun but I thought the casing Bunk found looked small.

I'll post more if the podcast makes me think of anything else.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Bodie walking out of juvie like that was pretty bold. That place needs to tighten up their security! Lester sees Bodie at the low-rises later when he is confirming D's pager number. Why doesn't he call Bodie in and they can pick him back up? Maybe they have deemed it a waste of time. At the beginning of the episode Kima says something about all the minors not giving up any information and just telling her to f herself. Juvies must know they can't get in any real trouble with the law so it's better to keep their mouth shut. Heck, even the guy threatened with 5 years of jail said he would take the years over giving up Barksdale. How old is Bodie suppose to be? Under 18 if he was at juvie? Kid looks like a man though.

If Lester calls in Bodie at the low-rise, then they may pick up on the fact that the police are watching them. They want the police presense to be minimal so that the drug activity will continue to lead them to the bigger and more lucrative catch of Avon Barksdale. I believe Bodie is 15 or 16 at this time.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:12 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post If Lester calls in Bodie at the low-rise, then they may pick up on the fact that the police are watching them.

True, but Bodie escaped from juvie and immediately returned to the place where he was picked up from. He wasn't even trying to hide. If Herc and Carver showed up there to grabbed him again I don't think anyone would think "cops must be watching us!" they would think "Bodie is an idiot for coming back here so soon, of course the police are looking here for him".
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:19 am

We got our first look at McNulty's ex-wife and his kid. I was picturing his kid to be older, but I'm not sure why. I thought it was pretty funny that McNulty brought Bubbles to the soccer game.

You begin to see how much McNulty's life is out-of-his-control. Much like Lester, he is a true cop. Solving the puzzle of the murder and bringing the ones responsible to justice by beating the top dog is what drives him, but he internailzes the strife he goes through with the politics of the job. He wants to be able to do his job properly. The politics of the city is what he believes is holding him back. The lack of funding for the department, proper equipment, along with his superiors believing in him. He usurps the chain of command in the pilot because he knows Avon is the guy but no one in city hall wants to have a long drawn out investigation because it doesn't have a quick reward. Its messy and they want numbers now.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:22 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post If Lester calls in Bodie at the low-rise, then they may pick up on the fact that the police are watching them.

True, but Bodie escaped from juvie and immediately returned to the place where he was picked up from. He wasn't even trying to hide. If Herc and Carver showed up there to grabbed him again I don't think anyone would think "cops must be watching us!" they would think "Bodie is an idiot for coming back here so soon, of course the police are looking here for him".

okay... you have a major city... what is the likelihood that two cops just 'show up' to get Bodie nearly moments after he turns back up? They are only showing you the west side projects. The city is huge. Street kids are wise to the fact that the same two cops that sent Bodie away have come back to pick him up again... they will realize that something is wrong and may change up their habits.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:23 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post The politics of the city is what he believes is holding him back. The lack of funding for the department, proper equipment, along with his superiors believing in him.

It was nice to see Kima and Lester rally behind his pager clone idea. Daniels seems to be okay with that plan since those 2 started backing McNulty on it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:46 am

I forgot to mention the two older cops on the detail. One of them was injured from Bodie punching him and he is milking it for all it's worth. He is going to seek early retirement and 2/3rds his pension. He is encouraging his buddy to find a way to get out of work too. He almost threw himself down the stairs the McNulty/Kima walked in just before he could.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:25 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post The politics of the city is what he believes is holding him back. The lack of funding for the department, proper equipment, along with his superiors believing in him.

It was nice to see Kima and Lester rally behind his pager clone idea. Daniels seems to be okay with that plan since those 2 started backing McNulty on it.

this hodge podge of a team is coming together... McNulty does rebel a bit but seems to be coming into a path that works with Daniels and not against him.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post McNulty does rebel a bit but seems to be coming into a path that works with Daniels and not against him.

I was surprised that McNulty didn't get in any trouble from not doing the raid from the previous episode. Daniels wanted him to write a letter saying he was sick, but McNulty said no. There were no consequences from this.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:36 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post McNulty does rebel a bit but seems to be coming into a path that works with Daniels and not against him.

I was surprised that McNulty didn't get in any trouble from not doing the raid from the previous episode. Daniels wanted him to write a letter saying he was sick, but McNulty said no. There were no consequences from this.

In my opinion... Daniels knows McNulty is right but because Daniels wants to move up the chain of command, he's willing to do what the top brass says opposed to McNulty who doesn't care either way. What would be solved by reprimanding McNulty at this point? The guy is in a dog house regardless of what happens... if McNulty gets his guy, Avon, he ends up losing in the long run... he's going where he doesn't want to be. Daniels knows this... so, I think he gives him a pass.
Artukka

Postby Artukka » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Still, McNulty did brazenly flout his authority. You can't let people do that too often or discipline and order in the unit will start to break down and you'll get a reputation for being weak.

Daniels seems to be competent and secure enough in himself though that he can let a few things slide. He leads more through respect and mutual loyalty than fear and punishment. Every management style has its ups and downs though. Maybe if he cracked the whip a little more he could get at least a little production out of the humps on his detail... or maybe it would just cause them to get in the way of the actual working police. Maybe if Carver had feared Daniels a little more, better judgment would've prevailed and he would've heeded Daniels order to not do anything without running it by him first when Herc proposed going down to the high-rises at 2 am (I think Carv could've talked the other two down if he was inclined to).

It's hard to say. Managing a team in a fucked-up bureaucracy can be a tough balancing act.

Return to “The Wire”