Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Wire - s01e06 - The Wire - 07/30/2017

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:52 am

IMDB Synopsis:

Avon takes care of Omar's man Brandon but Wallace, who saw Brandon in the arcade, isn't too comfortable when he sees what they've done to him. Avon gives D'Angelo and Wallace a bonus for their good work. The police meanwhile get authorization to place taps for the pay phones used by D'Angelo and his crew but can only listen in when one of their suspects is using it meaning they'll have to keep the phones under constant observation. McNulty is in a tight spot when Major Rawls gives him a week to report back to his old job. When he realizes the connections McNulty's made in the various shootings, he announces he's going to arrest the Barksdales for murder and threatens to mess up the drug investigation.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:50 am

Episode opens with Wallace (Michael B Jordan) going through his apartment and waking everyone up. I assume not all of the kids are his siblings, but maybe the youth of the neighborhood live there and he looks after them? Wallace seems like a good kid that just got sucked into the game. Brendan's death weighs heavy on him, and the fact he was given $500 for it makes it worse to him.

Why was Brendan's body dumped outside of Wallace's home? Wallace is the one who called in Brendan's location last episode, is dumping the body there suppose to be a kind of award? Was it just a coincident? It seemed really odd to leave the body of a competing gang in the residential area of your own turf.

McNulty bringing Omar to the morgue with his kids in the backseat, that was hilariously inappropriate. I can't believe Omar is willing to work with the police now. He is 100% lying about being a witness to those crimes, right? He just wants to see someone get punished and he doesn't care if he has to go to court to do it?

Lester is turning into a favorite character. I love how he sits in the background and observes everything. Him and McNulty also seem to have a budding bromance going. Was also nice to see Lester mentor Prez a little bit while logging phone calls.

Is this the last we will see of Augie Polk? He is checking himself into department rehab instead of working detail.

It was nice to see Daniels stick up for McNulty and the case, but it is going to come back to bite McNulty. It doesn't seem like Rawls is mad at Daniels for it, but he is pissed at McNulty. It will take like 15 minutes of tailing McNulty to catch him drinking and driving.

Sad to see Bubbles and Johnny using. I think this is the first time we've seen Bubbles use since Johnny got beat up. I'm sure he has still been scoring some, but we haven't seen it. It actually seems like Johnny brings out the worst in Bubbles. CI Bubbles wouldn't steal copper pipe like that. Is Johnny going to jail now?

Frustrating that Avon was in the Pits and the cop on duty missing it all because of a 10 minute pee break.

Overall I thought this was a great episode and I'm really finding myself invested in the story.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:25 am

Tyler wrote: Episode opens with Wallace (Michael B Jordan) going through his apartment and waking everyone up. I assume not all of the kids are his siblings, but maybe the youth of the neighborhood live there and he looks after them?

I don't believe its ever said, but I believe Wallace is looking after the younglings who are homeless/parentless due to the crap they sell. He's trying to do right by them.

Tyler wrote:Why was Brendan's body dumped outside of Wallace's home? Wallace is the one who called in Brendan's location last episode, is dumping the body there suppose to be a kind of award? Was it just a coincident? It seemed really odd to leave the body of a competing gang in the residential area of your own turf.

I believe, from what I remember, Avon/Stringer had his body dumped there because they believe its an area where Omar may be living/hiding out. Plus, its a common area in the projects where they could send a message to anyone who may get an idea of trying to stick up the stash house like Omar did, this will happen to you. Barksdale's crew can not come off as weak.

Tyler wrote:McNulty bringing Omar to the morgue with his kids in the backseat, that was hilariously inappropriate. I can't believe Omar is willing to work with the police now. He is 100% lying about being a witness to those crimes, right? He just wants to see someone get punished and he doesn't care if he has to go to court to do it?

Right, you know Omar keeps his ear to the streets... you know Omar is always watching... so he does have some knowledge of who kills who. But whether or not he is 100% truthful is anyone's guess.

Tyler wrote:It doesn't seem like Rawls is mad at Daniels for it, but he is pissed at McNulty. It will take like 15 minutes of tailing McNulty to catch him drinking and driving.
Frustrating that Avon was in the Pits and the cop on duty missing it all because of a 10 minute pee break.

As you can see, these incedents are indicative of what is happening and continues to happen in their case. Its like they shoot themselves in the foot ALL the time, whether its top brass wanting this to go away or cops who don't want to be there just mucking it all up. I can understand the frustration by natural cops like McNulty and Lester. Taking one step forward and two steps back at nearly every turn.

Return to “The Wire”